🔧 BUILD PJ's 2004 Cobra racecar build

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Worked on this turd bucket for the first time in a while. Cut some holes in the front clip to feed the turbos. Damn carbon fiber dust is itchy as shit

B2BC2975-C3F2-4566-91F6-8F27C6C36955.jpeg

A15138E9-4C07-4BF0-A336-D202EF97C7BD.jpeg

5” carbon tubes will get molded into the bumper and obviously get cut off flush on the front. Need to bribe my friend to come over and glass that all in soon

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Lol I shouldn’t have cut the holes in the bumper from the last post

So I needed a distraction from life and finally decided to work on cars again. Helped my buddy and welded up the back half on their Ultra street car

IMG_6996.jpg

Then the Cordova race series finally came out with some decent rules and I decided to make the switch to a big single turbo so I busted out the sawzall

New vs one of the old ones

IMG_6858.jpg

IMG_6856.jpg

Chassis mount and gusset. Will have a bolt on brace that goes over the turbo to the outer side

IMG_7295.jpg

And then built the hot side. Need to grab a new tank of argon and finish weld it. Should probably put some wastegates on it too

IMG_7405.jpg

IMG_7407.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Got the hot side bends welded together tonight. The long driver side one warped a little so I need to fuck with it. I wasn’t planning on running a flex pipe on the crossover, but with it moving on one weld I can’t imagine what it’s going to want to do red hot and under pressure. I might put a double slip joint in the middle. Then I can weld them to the T6 flange

I got a new welder on Black Friday. So I used pulse on stainless for the first time with this. Was a learning experience

Everlast 255ext with water cooler

IMG_5107.jpg

Sealed up the ends. Setup a back purge at 10cfh. Used a 12 cup and 25cfh with 6.9 post flow. Maybe I shoulda practiced more with the settings instead of full sending it but it came out decent

IMG_7551.jpg

IMG_7559.jpg

IMG_7556.jpg

Also started making the down pipe. Needed a 5” tight radius thick wall aluminum bend and the manufacturer isn’t making them for 6+ weeks. Luckily found someone on bookface with one leftover… $125 individual bend is retarded. I’ll add a bullhorn tip and O2 bung later

IMG_7536.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
You can print it out onto paper with a shareware cheater program out there on github as well just so you know
Nice, I’ll look at that next time

I had also 3D printed some templates to draw straight lines in the middle of a bend. And then I got spoiled and made rings to draw straight lines on straight tube lol. Made the fit up way easier as I can’t clamp short tubes or bends in my chop saw

Reactions: LikeABauce302

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Finally finished the hot side. The stainless warped while welding so I cut it apart and added a double slip joint and welded it on the car. Back purging was easy this time through the back pressure port lol. Also added a brace between the 2 tubes. Contemplating adding a brace on the wastegates but hoping to not have an issue with how short they are and only 44mm’s.

IMG_7815.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Because of the new turbo hot side crossover, I needed to move the fuel cell up and forward. I built a removable cradle that will have a retaining strap over the top

Started with some heavy wall 1.25” chromoly. Turned down one side of it on the lathe and drilled a hole through it for a quick pin. The NHRA required 1.25” .065” wall slips over that and has to have a bar in front of the cell because it’s past the frame rails

Need to order/make some tabs to secure the tubular upper strap leftover from the old mount. Or might use aluminum sheet over the tank instead with something dumb cut into it like dickbutt

IMG_7890.jpg

IMG_7954.jpg

IMG_7957.jpg

IMG_7987.jpg

IMG_7992.jpg

Thread Info