🔧 BUILD PJ’s bad idea - notch edition

General Information

Figured I might as will document this train wreck. I bought this car a long time ago as an unfinished project and parted it out. Sold the caged shell to a buddy who needed a replacement. He ended up getting out of racing and it sat for a few years. Well he made me an offer I couldn’t refuse… so it’s back

Intentions are to fix some things I don’t like, finish some things and make it a nice complete roller. At that point I will see if I can sell it quick for a little profit, otherwise I have an LS and th400 to put in it for the spring

Some details:
- Certified 25.3 chromoly cage (good for 6.50 in the 1/4 at 3600#)
- fiberglass front clip, doors, trunk
- TeamZ front suspension
- Strange brakes

IMG_8550.jpg

IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Got the passenger side of the rear rebuilt. It originally had a stupid S shaped lower bar and I had no clue how to build a floor around that. Got to break out the bender for the first time in a while. I miss bending and welding simple stuff lol. Next I need to mirror it on the driver side

Cut out everything and sanded it flat and removed the primer

IMG_0736.jpg

Installed the straight lower bar and took some measurements for the top tube. Used Bendtech to tell me where to set it up in the die. I coulda eyeballed this but I wanted to tuck it up as close to the trunk brace as possible

IMG_0740.jpg

Installed a brace and welded it all

IMG_0773.jpg

Old vs new. Should be much easier to tin with some scalloped rivet strips

IMG_0772.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Finished up the rear section and braced the chute. Need to order some more scalloped rivet strips and work on the tin floors at some point

IMG_0905.jpg

Got the rear mocked up to make some control arms. Installed the front suspension and half ass set ride height (need diff front springs)

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

Also picked up a fiberglass dash cause I’m too lazy to fill all the holes in the stock one

IMG_0927.jpg

And then downgraded from my Holley Dominator to a MaxxECU and a 10” Tinker Dash

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I need Jesus

Middle between the tubes will be easy. Rivet strips silbronze stitched in and a sheet of aluminum.

The outside where I need to connect the tubes to the OEM floors will get sketchy. I’ll make some pizza box templates and see how it goes
Let me know if you need help eating pizza.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Have you played with the software? I am very impressed so far. I went with the Race ECU, so I will be using the dash IO to record some of the sensors via CAN. Hope it can keep up (pun intended)
No, I haven't but at the same time I am thinking about getting out of the Megasquirt Game and into something better for the Eagle.

Since my road map may have a Vortec 4200 on it I'd like to get one. From what Nivlac57 says the Holley doesn't support the VVT and MaxxECU does.

Truthfully it needs a TIG on it before the 4200 though.

Reactions: PJx5x

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Modified the internals of the TH400 pump for a dump valve. And cut off the stock case to install an SFI bellhousing

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

Swung the motor and trans in. Took a BFH to the trans tunnel for the red SFI case shield. Got the engine where I wanted it and secured via a ghetto mini chassis jig setup

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

Took a bunch of measurements and got a motor and mid plate setup drawn. Waiting for my buddy to cut it out

image.png

IMG_1105.jpg

Thread Info