🔧 BUILD PJ’s bad idea - notch edition

General Information

Figured I might as will document this train wreck. I bought this car a long time ago as an unfinished project and parted it out. Sold the caged shell to a buddy who needed a replacement. He ended up getting out of racing and it sat for a few years. Well he made me an offer I couldn’t refuse… so it’s back

Intentions are to fix some things I don’t like, finish some things and make it a nice complete roller. At that point I will see if I can sell it quick for a little profit, otherwise I have an LS and th400 to put in it for the spring

Some details:
- Certified 25.3 chromoly cage (good for 6.50 in the 1/4 at 3600#)
- fiberglass front clip, doors, trunk
- TeamZ front suspension
- Strange brakes

IMG_8550.jpg

IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Got all the lower control arm and shock brackets welded on. Next I need to cut into the center section and install the upper control arm mounts

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Pulled my 6.0 out of storage to rebuild. Bought this engine as a warranty return from work. Lost oil pressure at 3,345 miles due to a bad oil pump. One main bearing was shot, but the crank journals are good. Everything else is good. It’s an LC8 with 821 square port LS3 heads. It’s from a CNG vehicle so it has fancy inconel exhaust valves and hardened seats.

If I can find an aluminum LC9 then I will sell/trade this. But at least it will be built and worth more money at that point

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Had to cut the sides of the housing out to make room for the adjustable upper control arm mounts. I plated them in and welded them all up. Did all the heavy welding with the pumpkin installed to try and keep stuff from warping

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

Then used some 3d printed jigs to hold the brackets at the right angles and width and got those installed

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

Just need to get the jig fixture from my buddy to install the 9” ends and she’s finally done

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Small update. Lack of energy and motivation since having another round of the Covid

Got the strut tower holes welded up and smoothed with all metal body filler. Finished welding the lower half of the firewall. Dunno if I’ll put any filler on it. Need to trim the pinch weld and work on the upper cowl area next

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Lapped the valves in. Vacuum checked the ports to make sure they’re sealed. Then installed the seals/springs/retainers

Reused the exhaust valves - inconel for CNG
New hollow stem LS3 intake valves
BTR spring kit with titanium retainers

I also assembled the BTR rocker trunnion kit. Way faster with an arbor press than the hydraulic shop press

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

I fucked up and forgot to order rod bearings last week so there’s a little delay. I will gap the rings and replace the cam bearings while I wait

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Block painted
Cam bearings installed and checked
Crank polished by willy
Bearing clearances set
Piston rings gapped and assembled

Still waiting on the camshaft. But my dads coming out tomorrow and I’m gonna supervise him learning how to assemble a short block. We’ll see how bad this goes, but at least I’ll have a scapegoat when it blows up

Thread Info