🔧 BUILD PJ’s bad idea - notch edition

General Information

Figured I might as will document this train wreck. I bought this car a long time ago as an unfinished project and parted it out. Sold the caged shell to a buddy who needed a replacement. He ended up getting out of racing and it sat for a few years. Well he made me an offer I couldn’t refuse… so it’s back

Intentions are to fix some things I don’t like, finish some things and make it a nice complete roller. At that point I will see if I can sell it quick for a little profit, otherwise I have an LS and th400 to put in it for the spring

Some details:
- Certified 25.3 chromoly cage (good for 6.50 in the 1/4 at 3600#)
- fiberglass front clip, doors, trunk
- TeamZ front suspension
- Strange brakes

IMG_8550.jpg

IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Waiting for the weekend so I can wire wheel the rearend in the driveway and not destroy my garage walls again lol. So I started more things…

Car has adjustable upper control arm mounts. However it’s one of the earlier designs, and now they come with doubler plates welded on to make them stronger. The manufacturer didn’t have any from this bolt pattern left so I had to reverse engineer it. I 3D printed some tests and ordered 4 cut from 1/8” steel

IMG_9695.jpg

IMG_9683.jpg

Then the door X bars are insanely high. I’ve decided to lower the driver side ones only. I cut them out so I can’t change my mind

IMG_9707.jpg

I need to get a seat mounted so I can set the door X bar height and see what I want to do with the funny car cage halo

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Fucked around with the car this weekend but didn’t get nearly enough done. Took forever to grind all the old tubes and welds out without butchering it up.

Teamz seat mount showed up. I also cut up the dash to get it to fit around the bars. Need to clearance a few more areas but it’s close enough for mock-up

IMG_9774.jpg

Planned out the new bar location with string. This allowed me to measure the length and angles so I could get all the notches correct

I left the one middle bar in place because I’ve always wanted to try and notch a tube on a car. Usually I do it in the vise

IMG_9777.jpg

Tube fit perfect. Got most of it welded in. Need to crawl under the car and weld the front part through the access hole in the floor. Not looking forward to that

IMG_9783.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Finished welding in that bar. Finally got to use a bendy tungsten from BeerOrGasoline BeerOrGasoline to get in the corner

IMG_9801.jpg

Then my order from SendCutSend came in (Easy only laser cutting). First thing is the trunk dzus rails. I stole the idea from Racecraft and tweaked some things and drew it up

IMG_9811.jpg

I wanted the rivets for the springs to be recessed like on a normal dzus tab (shown below). So I made a die set, and hardened it with a torch and cup of water lol. Uses a pin to center both halves over the hole. Squeeze in vise. Worked pretty well for a hack

IMG_9819.jpg

IMG_9818.jpg

strtcar

Regular
Oct 28, 2007
Finished welding in that bar. Finally got to use a bendy tungsten from BeerOrGasoline BeerOrGasoline to get in the corner

View attachment 140022

Then my order from SendCutSend came in (Easy only laser cutting). First thing is the trunk dzus rails. I stole the idea from Racecraft and tweaked some things and drew it up

View attachment 140023

I wanted the rivets for the springs to be recessed like on a normal dzus tab (shown below). So I made a die set, and hardened it with a torch and cup of water lol. Uses a pin to center both halves over the hole. Squeeze in vise. Worked pretty well for a hack

View attachment 140024

View attachment 140025
you're kinda a genius

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
So do they just require a dxf file?
Yea and the quotes are generated instantly. Can switch between materials/thickness. Shipping is included in price too

I’m sure there are better/cheaper options but I like trying out different designs, seeing the cost change and not having to bug people and wait for quotes

why not just countersink the rivet holes and use a countersink rivet
Cause that’s no where near as fun and I wanted to see if I could recreate the other style

Reactions: massacre

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
3D printed a couple jigs and embedded magnets in them. The step is the same thickness as the fiberglass trunk lid so the rail is held at the right height to tack in place. Did that and then stitch welded them in

IMG_9830.jpg

IMG_9837.jpg

IMG_9858.jpg

I have some dzus transfer punches I put in the rails. Laid the trunk on top, got it centered and tapped it down. It marked the hole locations on the bottom to drill out for the fasteners

IMG_9872.jpg

IMG_9863.jpg

I installed the 17” strutless wing from Robert Carter. Pretty impressed with the quality from a guy making them by hand. I ran out of clecos doing it. Not looking forward to installing all the tiny screws when the time comes

IMG_9869.jpg

IMG_9871.jpg

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
3D printed a couple jigs and embedded magnets in them. The step is the same thickness as the fiberglass trunk lid so the rail is held at the right height to tack in place. Did that and then stitch welded them in

View attachment 140543
View attachment 140544
View attachment 140545

I have some dzus transfer punches I put in the rails. Laid the trunk on top, got it centered and tapped it down. It marked the hole locations on the bottom to drill out for the fasteners

View attachment 140546
View attachment 140547

I installed the 17” strutless wing from Robert Carter. Pretty impressed with the quality from a guy making them by hand. I ran out of clecos doing it. Not looking forward to installing all the tiny screws when the time comes

View attachment 140548
View attachment 140549

You make dzus fastener installs look easy. I don't even want to think about all the dumb methods we tried back in the day.

• Haha
Reactions: PJx5x

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Final design of the new stock suspension read end brackets. Then they were sent off to my buddy’s plasma table

Screenshot 2022-11-21 083147.jpg

69084235303__89F729B4-11C3-4F94-B949-30042767B0CA.jpg

Bolted the plates together and welded the doublers on. I then drilled out the holes to the right size - they were undersized on purpose cause the plasma isn’t perfect

IMG_9973.jpg

IMG_9990.jpg

Started fitting them to the back brace. I need to make some decisions on the rear section of the roll cage so I know what width to install the coil over mounts at.

IMG_0030.jpg

Thread Info