🔧 BUILD PJ’s bad idea - notch edition

General Information

Figured I might as will document this train wreck. I bought this car a long time ago as an unfinished project and parted it out. Sold the caged shell to a buddy who needed a replacement. He ended up getting out of racing and it sat for a few years. Well he made me an offer I couldn’t refuse… so it’s back

Intentions are to fix some things I don’t like, finish some things and make it a nice complete roller. At that point I will see if I can sell it quick for a little profit, otherwise I have an LS and th400 to put in it for the spring

Some details:
- Certified 25.3 chromoly cage (good for 6.50 in the 1/4 at 3600#)
- fiberglass front clip, doors, trunk
- TeamZ front suspension
- Strange brakes

IMG_8550.jpg

IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
First project is to get a rearend for it. The car had a boogered together 9” in it that I opted not to purchase.

So I played car shuffle and pulled the overbuilt 8.8” out of my ‘68

IMG_9419.jpg

IMG_9422.jpg

Well it was way too wide. I probably shoulda measured first. I could either buy new wheels with a larger backspace or build a shorter rearend. I made a cost comparison chart to help decide lol. So I bought the boogered 9” in the car and will build a new housing for it.

First I’m going to try and unfuck this housing on the cheap. If it doesn’t work I will get the basic Racecraft housing

Forgot to take a good before pic. But here you can kinda see the disgusting upper control arm mounts

68401651597__791B4F89-807C-4A62-96FF-20AF39DEEB86.jpg

Then got the China plasma cutter out last night and went to town. Only melted a little bit of the plastic saw horse

IMG_9573.jpg

I will draw up my own adjustable upper control arm, lower control arm, and shock brackets this week. I also have room with the axles to narrow it 1” overall. I was hoping to tuck the wheels further but it’s better than nothing

strtcar

Regular
Oct 28, 2007
Started messing with drawing the adjustable lower control arm and shock mounts. All will be braced with a chromoly tube through the holes. Should probably print them out on paper and test fit before having them cut lol

View attachment 138150
no way dude, cut first, realize not right, then use harbor freight tools to make fit better, then just bugger in weld where necessary.

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Finally had a chance to finish cutting off all the brackets. Mocked up the 1/8” mild steel back brace. It needs a little touch up with the grinder to fit perfect. Then wire wheel rest of the housing and I can weld it on

IMG_9651.jpg

And since I have ADD I started something else and made a removable parachute mount

IMG_9657.jpg

IMG_9631.jpg

Thread Info