🔧 BUILD PJ’s bad idea - notch edition

General Information

Figured I might as will document this train wreck. I bought this car a long time ago as an unfinished project and parted it out. Sold the caged shell to a buddy who needed a replacement. He ended up getting out of racing and it sat for a few years. Well he made me an offer I couldn’t refuse… so it’s back

Intentions are to fix some things I don’t like, finish some things and make it a nice complete roller. At that point I will see if I can sell it quick for a little profit, otherwise I have an LS and th400 to put in it for the spring

Some details:
- Certified 25.3 chromoly cage (good for 6.50 in the 1/4 at 3600#)
- fiberglass front clip, doors, trunk
- TeamZ front suspension
- Strange brakes

IMG_8550.jpg

IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Been swamped at work. Forgot about this car and thread

Oh come on dude just Weld a machine screw head end to the bearing ID and put it in the end of your slide hammer and thread a nut onto the threads pull the f****** out and toss them in the garbage

Good call. I ended up putting a solid rod thru the bore, tacking it to the inner race and giving it a whack. Took 30 seconds

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
IMG_1907.jpg

Throttle body done. Pretty straight forward now that I’ve done it. Would contemplate modding these as a side hustle but would have to sell them at $200+ ish and I don’t think sloppy people like to spend that much lol

IMG_2156.jpg

Billet Australia chyna fuel pump hat is here with triple 525s (1 backup)

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

Messing around with potential alternator and turbo mounts. Intercooler has spiraled and putting turbo to the side might be best option. I don’t want to use a scavenge pump so I’m a little worried about turbo being high enough. Luckily I have the motor pretty low

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

Aforementioned intercooler core thanks to Mike K2K. Treadstone big boi 6” thic. Need to make a mount to that lower bar so I can make cardboard end tanks

IMG_2348.jpg

Laser cut coil mounts I designed to fit how I wanted and test fitting chyna injector spacers for the 210s. Will replace orings with ones I trust from McMunster

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

Did some ghetto bench top testing with the MaxxECU and got the Silverado PWM fans to work. They don’t fit the Champion radiator too well, so custom shroud mount is in the works

IMG_2356.jpg

3D printed some custom tube clamp things with an adjustable strap to move and angle the steering column where I want it while I make a real mount

Good lord… Typing out all these half finished projects made me realize I really need to see a doctor about having ADD

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
After dicking around with making an alternator mount to work with the motor plate I finally took a gamble on an ICT setup (thanks Amazon free returns).

Ends up fitting perfect, and the back plate tucks between the motor plate and cylinder head. Has an oem style tensioner too. I could definitely copy this design with laser cut alum for cheaper but I don’t think it’s worth the hassle

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

Designed a throttle cable bracket for the Motion cable Boostie Boostie got me for my birthday. Used a tab and slot design out of 1/4” aluminum that I’ll weld together. 3d printed one works perfect and is strong enough, so I don’t see the aluminum having any problems lol.

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

Fit some 0.040” aluminum sheets for the floors. These still need to be bead rolled and drilled for rivets

70941393543__CE858475-46DB-4EEE-822E-3AA9A1F086D2.jpg

But it allowed me to take some measurements and sketch up a fuel cell. Flat shelf on the bottom is for the in tank pumps to pull from

Almost 20 gallons… little crazy lol. I need it to be that deep for the pumps and that wide to mount between the rails. So I might just take more off the front nose

tank.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

Last but not least, I got my headlights and taillights from Terminator-Fux Terminator-Fox installed

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
My laser cut junk came in so I assembled the throttle bracket and welded the back/bottom

IMG_3056.jpg

Made the intercooler mounts- like trick chassis tabs. Printed the drawing to scale to transfer the bend lines. Then welded a receiver cup on for the threaded aluminum bushing. Makes it so you drop the intercooler into the cups and install bolts easily

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

Mocked the intercooler core up and tacked the aluminum bungs in place. Welding thick aluminum at 250 amps upside down sucks.

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

Will add an upper mount after the end tanks and tubing are done

Also thanks to Boostie Boostie for tricking me into buying an LC9 6 months too late

1A90D886-8907-4909-B474-9289BE76AAA4.jpeg

Thread Info