• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Pinion Seal Leak

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
Well, after taking my car out for the first time this year I discovered a pinion seal leak on the rearend. I had a Torsen T2 w/gears and bearing kit installed 2 seasons ago. I'm thinking of just replacing the seal myself and skip the whole crush sleeve and pre-load process, just count/mark the pinion nut to put it back in the same place.

What do you guys think? I never done it before.

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
That's what I was thinking too, but there are mechanics that swear by the seal only method.

I bet that plastic spacer behind the pinion flange that I melted when I removed the drive shaft flange bolts tore up the seal. Sucks, because I told the installer to replace it, but they forgot and said it would be no problem after they already completed the job.

CREJoe

Chassis Builder
Jun 15, 2007
That's what I was thinking too, but there are mechanics that swear by the seal only method.

I bet that plastic spacer behind the pinion flange that I melted when I removed the drive shaft flange bolts tore up the seal. Sucks, because I told the installer to replace it, but they forgot and said it would be no problem after they already completed the job.

There is nothing wrong with the "seal method" but you have a compounding issue. If you put enough heat into the flange to melt the plastic, that's probably why the seal went south. Heat travels very readily through materials that conduct...like steel. I wouldn't take it back to that shop if that is the advice they dish out. You can bring it to me and I'll get it set up right for you.

Joe

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Ford offers a method to replace the seal only in the service manual that involves taking drag measurements before and after the seal replacement to allow you to tighten the pinion nut to the same load as it was before.
I've had good results following this procedure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info