• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Pics of my Stretched Chain

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Since day one of ownership of our SRX, it would make a clanking noise on hard acceleration. I unfortunately found this out after I bought the car and the dealership I bought it from when I asked to return the car/fix the transfer case/assist with fixing the case said "too bad".

So for over a year, we've just let it be and just drove soft enough to not make it clank from the chain skipping on the sprockets. It kept getting worse and almost every accel from a stop would cause the chain to skip. Then we moved to N. CA and the car was almost inoperable out here with all the hills.

Finally said this is not a project I want to tackle and had a local trans shop pull the t case and rebuild it. This shop seemed reputable and is in a wealthy area. They also had just done the same repair on another SRX 2 weeks before, saying it's starting to become a common problem for these cars at 80-100k+ miles.

We'll they did it and I paid for it... :fu:

They took some pics of the stretched chain with the new chain for me:

20140717_145224_zpsc40719f2.jpg

20140717_145810_zps521faec6.jpg

I'm currently shopping around for a new truck to trade this thing in on... but we'll see.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Pretty common on those caddy's Same thing as well with the 09 Traverse/enclave. I think it may be the same engine? The 3.6?? I know there is an open recal for stretched timing chain issues on the traverse causing a check engine light and running rough. Had one the other day that was so bad it actually caused the chain to jump timing.

Correction: Not open recall it is covered under "Special coverage" If it has that condition

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Since day one of ownership of our SRX, it would make a clanking noise on hard acceleration. I unfortunately found this out after I bought the car and the dealership I bought it from when I asked to return the car/fix the transfer case/assist with fixing the case said "too bad".

So for over a year, we've just let it be and just drove soft enough to not make it clank from the chain skipping on the sprockets. It kept getting worse and almost every accel from a stop would cause the chain to skip. Then we moved to N. CA and the car was almost inoperable out here with all the hills.

Finally said this is not a project I want to tackle and had a local trans shop pull the t case and rebuild it. This shop seemed reputable and is in a wealthy area. They also had just done the same repair on another SRX 2 weeks before, saying it's starting to become a common problem for these cars at 80-100k+ miles.

We'll they did it and I paid for it... :fu:

They took some pics of the stretched chain with the new chain for me:

20140717_145224_zpsc40719f2.jpg

20140717_145810_zps521faec6.jpg

I'm currently shopping around for a new truck to trade this thing in on... but we'll see.

If you have an issue like this in the future where the dealer is unwilling to help shoot me a PM or mention me in a post and I will try my best to help. As well as sending me over your vin number I can check to see if there are any special coverages or open recalls. Dealers miss these things especially if its a special coverage where they have to hunt the info down. They would rather just collected everything at retail price and retail labor rate

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info