Pics of my Stretched Chain

Angus

Reaction score
Since day one of ownership of our SRX, it would make a clanking noise on hard acceleration. I unfortunately found this out after I bought the car and the dealership I bought it from when I asked to return the car/fix the transfer case/assist with fixing the case said "too bad".

So for over a year, we've just let it be and just drove soft enough to not make it clank from the chain skipping on the sprockets. It kept getting worse and almost every accel from a stop would cause the chain to skip. Then we moved to N. CA and the car was almost inoperable out here with all the hills.

Finally said this is not a project I want to tackle and had a local trans shop pull the t case and rebuild it. This shop seemed reputable and is in a wealthy area. They also had just done the same repair on another SRX 2 weeks before, saying it's starting to become a common problem for these cars at 80-100k+ miles.

We'll they did it and I paid for it... :fu:

They took some pics of the stretched chain with the new chain for me:

I'm currently shopping around for a new truck to trade this thing in on... but we'll see.

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
now you see why i dont want anything newer....once 100k rolls around every component is at the end of its life.

good luck finding 2008+ vehicles with over 150k on em....costs more to repair em than to buy a new car lol

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
2 cars with stretched chains, damn.

lastls1

Reaction score
Pretty common on those caddy's Same thing as well with the 09 Traverse/enclave. I think it may be the same engine? The 3.6?? I know there is an open recal for stretched timing chain issues on the traverse causing a check engine light and running rough. Had one the other day that was so bad it actually caused the chain to jump timing.

Correction: Not open recall it is covered under "Special coverage" If it has that condition

lastls1

Reaction score
Since day one of ownership of our SRX, it would make a clanking noise on hard acceleration. I unfortunately found this out after I bought the car and the dealership I bought it from when I asked to return the car/fix the transfer case/assist with fixing the case said "too bad".

So for over a year, we've just let it be and just drove soft enough to not make it clank from the chain skipping on the sprockets. It kept getting worse and almost every accel from a stop would cause the chain to skip. Then we moved to N. CA and the car was almost inoperable out here with all the hills.

Finally said this is not a project I want to tackle and had a local trans shop pull the t case and rebuild it. This shop seemed reputable and is in a wealthy area. They also had just done the same repair on another SRX 2 weeks before, saying it's starting to become a common problem for these cars at 80-100k+ miles.

We'll they did it and I paid for it... :fu:

They took some pics of the stretched chain with the new chain for me:

I'm currently shopping around for a new truck to trade this thing in on... but we'll see.

If you have an issue like this in the future where the dealer is unwilling to help shoot me a PM or mention me in a post and I will try my best to help. As well as sending me over your vin number I can check to see if there are any special coverages or open recalls. Dealers miss these things especially if its a special coverage where they have to hunt the info down. They would rather just collected everything at retail price and retail labor rate

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
shoulda asked me for advice before you bought it Angus... you know I work at Cadillac right?

SRX's are giant turd boxes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom