Picked up a new truck

Jokerzl

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
May 15, 2012
Ashkum
In my experience, its generally a operator error and/or lack of religious maintainance that kills the 6.0

By this statement I can only assume you mean two things either I beat the shit out of it didn't maintain it put to much weight into it or whatever. I'm here to inform you I left the motor stock. I put all new fuel filters (both) the one on the top of he motor and on the fuel rail. I put anti gelling in the tank as required due to the gelling problems. My problem
Was not maintenance it was the faulty stock turbo in which ford decided to get cheap on. There is a part in the turbo that controls the boost based on the rpm of the turbo. Variable geometry turbo the part that makes this turbo work that way well that starts to rust out and get stuck in position. Then at cruising speeds at say 55 mph my turbo decides when I go to pass someone spin up 30lbs of boost instantly. You think I have control over that. I paid 38 grand for a f450 06 back in 2008 with 32000 miles. That truck with my maintenance rituals and trying to baby a construction truck failed before 70 thousand miles. Next move we replaced the heads cold air intake new valve job new heads arp head studs 68 mm turbo new injectors new plugs egr delete sct street tune and 4 inch exhaust. Ok That didn't last either because if you don't upgrade he block at the same time or have it checked with a computer it decided to fail. Well you ask why I didn't do this to begin wih. Well in a power stroke based truck from my year you have to pull the cab. In my case you have to pull a 11 ft utility bed off with a 16 ft utility rack welded to it. So we took our chances. Just to pull he cab and rack by a company who had the means was about 4 grand. So we had a shop do the top end work. Then after that failure I had to find a junkyard motor I found for 4500 with 103 I on the clock pay the company to pull the cab. I pulled the rack off myself at my welders. Paid to have can removed motor installed old motor dismantled and I sold thr parts off of it to eat some costs. Traded the truck in and with in 4 days of trading in the motor went bad and we got a call from a the Chevy dealership.

So wih maintenance about 20 grand and a hell of a lot pita moves I would have to say its a bad motor. On too of that my uncles concrete company ordered brand new fleet of of 10 6.0 trucks and within one year he traded them all in. You may have better luck but by my experiences and views it's a bad motor.

Filters for this thing are 100 bucks a pop as well.

Jokerzl

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
May 15, 2012
Ashkum
You had the non vgt turbo in that motor which was a good thing. If your truck starts shifting weird not pulling as usual or something just don't feel right get it checked out or buy a new turbo. Mine did have a hick up during cold weather one day and I believe the part inside the vgt turbo is the one that started to fail. That part controls the boost and the shifting of the truck is based off the power your making at that time. What sucks is that you would think with more boost you would have more power. With me I was wrong because there is some type of bypass or limp mode the truck goes into and it a dog to drive . When it did it to me the truck took me a mile and half to get up to 50. Had to take high on ramps to get up to speed for merging. If you have any hick ups it's more then likely that turbo. This is what two dealerships and shops told me. That water can find its way into the turbo either threw condensation or from the fuel tank. Well the part that should been made from stainless steel or titanium to keep if from rusting or corroding is just standard steel and that parts was the boost control of the truck. Which then controls if course power curve and the shift points get all messed up because the module don't understand what's going on. It can cause injectors and plugs to have problems as well cause it will kill the injectors during boost and cause serious damage.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
You had the non vgt turbo in that motor which was a good thing. If your truck starts shifting weird not pulling as usual or something just don't feel right get it checked out or buy a new turbo. Mine did have a hick up during cold weather one day and I believe the part inside the vgt turbo is the one that started to fail. That part controls the boost and the shifting of the truck is based off the power your making at that time. What sucks is that you would think with more boost you would have more power. With me I was wrong because there is some type of bypass or limp mode the truck goes into and it a dog to drive . When it did it to me the truck took me a mile and half to get up to 50. Had to take high on ramps to get up to speed for merging. If you have any hick ups it's more then likely that turbo. This is what two dealerships and shops told me. That water can find its way into the turbo either threw condensation or from the fuel tank. Well the part that should been made from stainless steel or titanium to keep if from rusting or corroding is just standard steel and that parts was the boost control of the truck. Which then controls if course power curve and the shift points get all messed up because the module don't understand what's going on. It can cause injectors and plugs to have problems as well cause it will kill the injectors during boost and cause serious damage.

Ughhh all 6.0's are vgt.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
the systems weren't different just quality of parts changed.

05+ had better oil drain on turbo so they didnt stick as much

03-04 DO NOT have CEL with egr delete, 05+ does.

lolwut?

The turbo drain has nothing to do with VGT stiction... the part that sticks is the unison ring and vanes themselves. They stick on low milege trucks and trucks that never get use or are never beat on... 6.0's need to live life @ WOT

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Why would you ever have to "floor" a pick up truck? Put stuff in the back, hook up the boat, give it 1/4 throttle and putt along. It's NOT a sports car. :dunno:

exact opposite... Remember your pops telling you to take the Vista Cruiser and "blow it all out" on the highway....?

Well guess what, thats what has to happen... These engines need the high EGT and hot engine temperatures to burn properly.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
exact opposite... Remember your pops telling you to take the Vista Cruiser and "blow it all out" on the highway....?

Well guess what, thats what has to happen... These engines need the high EGT and hot engine temperatures to burn properly.

Word.

The VGT needs to be worked so it doesnt stick. Also lots of idle time is bad for them as well. CArbon buildup is very hard on these things. We have alot of VT365 school buses at my shop that have high build up of carbon cause they sit alot while running

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
lolwut?

The turbo drain has nothing to do with VGT stiction... the part that sticks is the unison ring and vanes themselves. They stick on low milege trucks and trucks that never get use or are never beat on... 6.0's need to live life @ WOT

well what ever, i know in 05+ they revised the oil drain tube on the turbo. Why exactly, i dunno.

And i blow the carbon off the pistons at least once a day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info