Phoenix restaurant says this is a photo of coal miners. But I see offensive blackface

b00sted

He's Still Your President
Reaction score
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2019/01/28/downtown-phoenix-photo-men-soot-blackface/2683881002/

A few weeks ago, I attended a holiday party at a downtown Phoenix restaurant. I walked around to view the photographs on the wall.

Then a photograph caught my attention.

Friends said, “It’s coal miners at a pub after work.” It was a photograph of coal miners with blackened faces. I asked a Latinx and white woman for their opinion. They said it looked like coal miners at a pub after work. Then they stepped back, frowned and said it’s men in blackface.

I asked the waitress to speak with a manager. Instead, I spoke with a white restaurant owner. I explained to him why the photograph was offensive. Evidently, someone else had made a similar comment about the photograph before.

Yet, the photograph remained on the wall. He said he would talk to the other owners and get back to me. While leaving, I asked him had he spoke with the other owners. He had not spoken with them, but mentioned Google said it's coal miners after work.

For me, the coal miners disappeared and a film honored for its artistic merit, despite being the most racist propaganda films ever, D.W. Griffith’s “Birth of a Nation” (1915) surfaces, in which white actors appeared in blackface. The white owner saw coal miners in the photograph. Therefore, it was not offensive.

Fact: The photograph shows coal miners’ faces covered in soot. The context of the photograph is not the issue.

Students have painted their faces black at the Arizona State University Sun Devils’ Blackout football game. During Halloween people are encouraged not to wear blackface. Phoenix Institution of Contemporary Art showcased Bob Carey’s portrait of himself in blackface.

Art can be a trickster. People view artwork once and subsequently see something different.
That photo tells me I'm not welcome

Viewers cannot determine the intention of an artist’s work. Art also exposes society’s blind spots. Blackface is only a glimpse of a larger issue. The larger issue is the lack of representation of marginalized people and their voices in Phoenix.

Frequently, I enter art galleries and I am not represented in the art, which leads to uneducated curation for exhibitions. While shopping I am ignored because it is assumed I unable to purchase anything, or I am followed by a security guard because it is assumed that I am a threat to the store.

Each assumption is based on a stereotype. Blackface caricatures stereotypes of black people.

At the downtown Phoenix restaurant, my concern that the photograph of men in blackface was a threat to me and my face and voice were ignored.

A business’ photograph of men with blackened faces culturally says to me, “Whites Only.” It says people like me are not welcome.

The operators of that downtown restaurant can choose to take the photograph down, leave it up or create a title card with an intention statement. No matter their decision, I think the photograph should be taken down — sacrificing one image for the greater good.

Rashaad Thomas is a husband, father, a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, poet and essayist.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Well, there are like a total of 50 black people in all of Arizona, so they wont suffer any business.

m_dogg

Reaction score
So grandpa and my pops were playing blackface all these years! It all makes sense now. Bloody racists...

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rashaad Thomas is a husband, father, USAF Veteran, poet, and South Phoenix, AZ community member. His work can be found in a number of publications, most notably in the book Trayvon Martin, Race, and American Justice: Writing Wrong

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
Reaction score
A person who sees racism in anything and everything no doubt.

So racist it's even getting put into music videos. German and blackface makes it a double whammy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StZcUAPRRac
:lmao: German/Blackface made me instantly think of this Jeese Lee Peterson video I saw a few days ago of a German white couple who had tanning injections among other surgeries to become black...and they believe that their kids will come out born black now..:iorofl:

https://youtu.be/2ludJ7epABs

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
A person who sees racism in anything and everything no doubt.

"Fact: The photograph shows coal miners’ faces covered in soot. The context of the photograph is not the issue."

So instead of taking the picture for what it is you turn it into something altogether different. Seems like he needs to work on things inside his minds. Looking for reasons to be upset and angry is just toxic.

"Frequently, I enter art galleries and I am not represented in the art, which leads to uneducated curation for exhibitions. While shopping I am ignored because it is assumed I unable to purchase anything, or I am followed by a security guard because it is assumed that I am a threat to the store."

What does that have to do with the picture? Some of that is probably true. I get that. But what does those things have to do with a picture of coal miners? Finding a reason to stay mad. Gotcha.

"At the downtown Phoenix restaurant, my concern that the photograph of men in blackface was a threat to me and my face and voice were ignored."

Maybe your voiced concerns were ignored. Or maybe he had not had an opportunity to talk to the other owners yet? Or maybe he is just mad he didn't get the outcome he wanted right away, the picture taken down. But hey, this was he gets to write an article and spread the anger.

I get it. If he was in the restaurant and a white employee was in blackface I would say it was out of line. No one was in blackface. Not even in the picture.

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Be on alert...you are a racist if you allow your face to become dirty, even if working a dirty job!

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet a coal miner today much less in those times experienced way more hardship than this guy ever will in his entire life. And theres will almost certainly be significantly shorter, even today.

radioguy6

Reaction score
Its called coal dust. It happens to be the color black. It clings to everything, especially skin. :rofl:

And yet the left's favorite late night "comedian" Jimmy Kimmel can do blackface with zero repercussions or consequences of his actions. Fucking incredible time we live in.

m_dogg

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet a coal miner today much less in those times experienced way more hardship than this guy ever will in his entire life. And theres will almost certainly be significantly shorter, even today.
Yep...dangerous fucking job. My buddy still does it. Early retirement but very risky.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
There is much I want to type but

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Its called coal dust. It happens to be the color black. It clings to everything, especially skin. :rofl:

And yet the left's favorite late night "comedian" Jimmy Kimmel can do blackface with zero repercussions or consequences of his actions. Fucking incredible time we live in.
That was fucking terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aPbefau2Zc

What about this one?

He gets away with it because of his woke leftist monologues. It has little to do with race in many cases but everything to do with woke leftist monologues.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMAO can you imagine if the MAN show was still around in today's toxic masculinity world? Shit would probably be some leftist Trump bashing show like the View only with dudes

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom