HBO / MAX Perry Mason [HBO]

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
They could have called this anything but "Perry Mason" and it would have been better. Serious disservice to the original. It's just another crime noir for LA in the 30's. Go back and watch a single episode of the original and try to draw a parallel to this reboot (?). I might watch it cause I like these types of shows/movies, but please, change the name.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I caught the last 45 minutes or so. Seemed okay, set the DVR to pick up the series to see where it goes. I'm finding it hard to separate this "younger/grittier" version from the Raymond Burr original. Burr was much more polished, less brash, and eloquent. Really hard to imagine how this new version would eventually become Burr's versions. Not to mention, the physical difference. The new actor is much smaller and less imposing.

Oddly, the pathologist that works in the morgue is the same actor who played the evil doctor in last year's "I Am The Night" starring Chris Pine. So the dude is pretty much playing the same creepy character.

AV Club did a review on it, which I was just about to read:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: greasy

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I’d say it’s worth a watch. Stephen Root just devours every scene he is in. You have to sit there and think “that’s Milton from Office Space!”

However for some of the altercations Perry gets into you’d think he would be a little tougher pending his history.

edit: and John Lithgow is outstanding as well.

Reactions: IDAFC21

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Good! This last episode really hit its stride.

Gotta say, John Lithgow's son looks and sounds shockingly like him. My friend thought they "de-aged" him and did a voice over.

Seriously. I was kind of not fully paying attention to the screen at times, and every time he'd talk I'd have to look back at the screen cuz it sounded almost just like him

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Now that trial is underway things are really getting good. It's fun watching Perry feel his way through this as he is well out of his league, but there are still moments where he really looks like he's in his element. Matthew Rhys has not disappointed in his role thus far. Im a little less impressed with Tatiana Maslany, but in fairness, they're really not giving her much to work with for her character on this show. Shes got so much more talent than this.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, the whole religious aspect/angle to this kind of puts me off. I usually just skip through those scenes so can't really judge her on her performance. Anyone wanna bet a buck Perry and Sister Alice hook up before they wrap things up for the season?

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
With the sudden onslaught of hockey, F1, formula E, and my constant playing of ghost of tsushima, I kinda dropped off this show for the last few weeks, but finally went back tonight and finished up the final 2 episodes of the season. Overall I really enjoyed this show. There were a lotta good performances, the story got really engaging, and while there was some setup for a season 2, should there be one, I was happy with how this season ended.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info