Permissions

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
So talking with the wife, she unfortunately had to become an Illinois resident recently because of me (formerly Indiana), she might want to change her carry firearm. With that said, my shield 9mm would be a good option. Gives me an excuse to step to a Compact 2.0

What allowances are allowed with spouses? Being that my firearm is registered to me and her Ruger LCP to her, would i need to transfer ownership so she can carry it? Going to put her through the carry class soon, as her FOID just came today.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I think you can carry your wife's gun. She doesn't need to "transfer" it to you.

Not sure what you mean by "my firearm is registered to me". There is no gun registration in IL (yet).

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
they don't know if its yours, hers, your neighbors, all they can see is if its been reported stolen

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
they don't know if its yours, hers, your neighbors, all they can see is if its been reported stolen
In this society where criminals are often treated like victims I would hate to see something happen where if in the event she or he had to use their spouses gun. The following lawsuit that is sure to happen would try to push liability on one of them because they used the others gun. Worst case scanario of course, but such is the case when you carry.

I don’t have the answers of course, but I would try to find out the proper way to do this to not only protect yourself physically, but also legally.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
I mean, essentially ISP knows I have a firearm as well all have to go through that process purchasing ome. Legality comes into play, because I nor the wife certainly wouldn't want to get burned. I can check locally and see what they say, wasn't sure.

Thanks fellas

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
they can see that you had a back ground check ran through the isp, it doesn't tell them what gun you bought, only way to track that is to run the number on the gun, they can see who originally sold it, go to that shop and if its within 10 years see who it was sold too, from that point on the records keeping is up to the individual buying and selling, when you sell a used firearm in illinois you just run the persons foid number no other information is put into the computer, it tells you if the foid is valid and you get a confirmation number to write down, past that its your own paper records nothing else gets submitted to anyone

Idoma

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Reaction score
I honestly don't think that it matters as long as you can show proof of ownership and you both have ccws here in Illinois. My summer carry has been the Shield for a couple years now and my wife finally played around with my Shield at the range last year and then picked one up for herself. I don't know if I have my Shield on me right now or if it was the one that she bought. We might have got them mixed up when we clean our guns after the range days we go to. So long story short, if both of you guys have your ccw, and you are married...you will be fine.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
Yep, I checked on it. We are clear, so I guess I get to find another one to carry as she will take my Shield

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom