Peloton

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Bump.

Are people still happy with their Peloton bikes? I've been kicking tires on buying one. A refurbished unit is $1,145, which seems reasonable.

Since having to return to office, I've been having a really hard time getting to my gym early enough to get a decent workout in before they close at night.

I'm wanting something where I can still get some cardio in a few times per week at home. I'm favoring the bike over the treadmill because it will probably be easier on my knees (years of abuse to my joints playing hockey have left me with knee and hip pain). I also expect that it will be quieter, so I can still get a ride in on the nights my gf goes to sleep early.

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
My only recommendation is this: unless you really want the peloton workouts/coaches/whatever and to pay the monthly fee, just get a cheaper piece of equipment that is app-friendly. Or get something manual and put a tablet on it or TV in front of it.

I bought a used nordictrack incline trainer with a giant screen, but the software only supports ifit which I don't want. It's super glitchy and difficult to use it for anything you'd actually want to use it for (like streaming). Sooo I have this nice incline trainer with giant screen and I put an ipad on top of it to watch stuff.....dumb. Quick search and it appears that Peloton is the same way.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Bump.

Are people still happy with their Peloton bikes? I've been kicking tires on buying one. A refurbished unit is $1,145, which seems reasonable.

Since having to return to office, I've been having a really hard time getting to my gym early enough to get a decent workout in before they close at night.

I'm wanting something where I can still get some cardio in a few times per week at home. I'm favoring the bike over the treadmill because it will probably be easier on my knees (years of abuse to my joints playing hockey have left me with knee and hip pain). I also expect that it will be quieter, so I can still get a ride in on the nights my gf goes to sleep early.

Still enjoy mine. Been slacking the last month, but overall still happy with it and don't regret buying it.

Love staring at Kendall Toole's ass

Kendall-Toole-Feet-4939422.jpg

• Love
Reactions: LikeABauce302

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
That's one thing I'm on the fence about. Do I really need the screen with the training classes and interactions, or would I rather just point a cheaper bike towards my basement TV and mindlessly watch whatever sports game in on while I pedal.
For me that's an easy answer. Pay a monthly subscription to ride a bike you already bought...fuck off I'd rather watch whatever I want to watch.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
What about buying a bike you can use outside as well when you want but have it on a trainer in the basement and towards the TV? :dunno:
I live in a crappy area for cycling. I'm right near Butterfield and Highland in Lombard. It's a pretty busy area for traffic and hard to get anywhere on foot or bike without having to cross some busy or dangerous intersections. Most of my free time ends up being after 8 PM, so I'd rather just get something I can setup in my basement. I generally get my workouts in pretty close to bedtime.

Reactions: FESTER665

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I live in a crappy area for cycling. I'm right near Butterfield and Highland in Lombard. It's a pretty busy area for traffic and hard to get anywhere on foot or bike without having to cross some busy or dangerous intersections. Most of my free time ends up being after 8 PM, so I'd rather just get something I can setup in my basement. I generally get my workouts in pretty close to bedtime.
Just a thought, but what about getting a road bike (of sorts) and an indoor trainer/stand? I have a 2015 Trek FX 7.3 that I predominately ride on non-motorized paths, like the Prairie Path and Great Western Trail. On the weekends I'll take it to further away places, like the I&M Canal Path, Wauponsee Glacial Trail, etc. If you're not able to get out during the week, since it'll be 8pm or later, throw the bike on the stand. I can move the bike from stand to outside (or the opposite) in about 30 seconds. The stand does offer varying levels of resistance as well, controlled from a lever/cable mounted to your handlebar. No monthly cost, just turn on the TV and watch whatever you want.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
SpeedSpeak2me SpeedSpeak2me this is a good idea that I'll have to look into. I really haven't thought about a trainer stand, but I do like the idea of versatility.
I bought this when it was on sale for like $160:

Only caveat is if you have knobby tires. You're going to hear that while it's in contact with the roller. My tire (Bontrager H5) doesn't have much tread, and I apply just enough pressure to make sure there is resistance. So I don't hear it, and it doesn't wear the tire down. Saves me from having to swap on a trainer tire during the summer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info