PDR is magic

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Technically, Mercedes's is credited with the discovery and use of PDR. I wonder what the guy who documented the craft would think of that.

WHO INVENTED PDR?
Back in 1960, Oskar Flaig was seemingly just another employee of Mercedes-Benz. Specifically, his work involved fixing up the showroom cars that would be on display for the public. Since people would be touching and interacting with the cars throughout the day, Flaig was responsible for fixing up scratches and dents after all the visitors left. He originally got rid of a small dent using the handle of a hammer, and was pleased with the results. It seemed to be an effective way of getting rid of a dent, with minimal work needing to be done to the car.

After the positive results, Flaig started to develop initial technology to improve the dents he came across. Over time, he continued to improve his dent-fixing technology, to the point of where it evolved into PDR that is still practiced today. His technology helped car owners collectively save millions; thanks Oskar Flaig!

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
That was impressive! Seen a few pdr crews come in to our dealers and work on small repairs as in hail or dings, also seen pdr at body shops but nothing like that! True skill right there!

I wonder on the sheet metal strength after that size of repairs, as when you perform pdr the sheet metal does loose some of it strength.

for those of us that have or had 4th gen f-body’s and had those 1/4 panel dimples, my pdr guy at the dealers I worked at would only be able to remove them twice only as they would work the metal so much. After hearing that I would have them removed before I sold the car.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Good PDR work is really impressive. I have some basic PDR tools and have tried it myself. It usually ends up with me swearing and the dents being slightly less noticeable, but still very much so noticeable ?. I need to do some research on the glue that they use. The stuff I have sucks and pulls off the car too easily.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
giphy.gif

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Yeah, no clue how glue sticks to the paint enough to yank on it that hard while also not getting fucked. Granted, he does wet sand at the end but it appears there’s only minor paint damage.

I think the most impressive part is figuring out which way to pull the dent to unfold all that metal correctly. Ever unfolded a tarp and tried to figure out which god damn way it was originally done? WIZARD

Reactions: Z28Camaro

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
That is great work I’ve never ever seen any of the pdr guys I’ve used over years take a dent out that big. Even with glue pullers and carbon fiber fancy tools, they are all pussies and say yea I can’t do that and don’t even try.

Bodyshop that vehicle

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
That is great work I’ve never ever seen any of the pdr guys I’ve used over years take a dent out that big. Even with glue pullers and carbon fiber fancy tools, they are all pussies and say yea I can’t do that and don’t even try.

Bodyshop that vehicle
I'll be honest, what's the worse that can happen if they try when option #2 is cut and weld in a new 1/4 panel.

I'm amazed the pain holds that tightly to the metal and doesn't just peel off with that kind of leverage.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'll be honest, what's the worse that can happen if they try when option #2 is cut and weld in a new 1/4 panel.

I'm amazed the pain holds that tightly to the metal and doesn't just peel off with that kind of leverage.

be out some dollars.

that repair that would be bodyshop necessary is gnarly.

glass pulled. windshield likely pulled. etc.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Reactions: OffshoreDrilling
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info