PC Diagnostics, Google fails me.

Rebel

Reaction score
Been working on this most of the day. Just when I think I'm making progress I get thrown another curve ball.

Basically I went out of town last week. Turned my computer off before I left, it turned back on at some point while I was gone. No big deal except it was frozen for some reason. Hit reset, and when it boots, I get told there's no boot drive detected. Check the bios. I select the correct drive and then windows loads to a black screen with a cursor. Eventually I get the blue screen of death. It goes to report microsoft of the error and never goes past 0%. I reset it, try to boot again nothing. Eventually I decided to boot in safe mode. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Did a virus scan, and cleaned the registry. Ran a disk check. Reset and still the same issue. Currently I'm stuck in a windows startup repair loop. I went through the process to disable startup repair and it still goes into the loop. Then I went into command prompt and disabled there, and STILL goes into the loop. Not really sure what to do that this point. Can't boot back into safe mode and every option takes me back to startup repair. Also I get an error that Automatic repair can't repair my PC.
I'm just going down the list on google to figure out a solution but nothing yet.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Get a windows disk and do a soft-reinstall.

It'll reinstall windows and wont delete your files, but you'll have to reinstall applications.

Probably a windows update broke it. You can also try to do a system restore if it was doing auto backups

tinfoilhat

Donating Member
Reaction score
Just downloaded this guy. https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/software-download/windows10 Will report back once I finish.

Tried the past 3 system updates and they also didn't work. One was for last friday which said an update was installed. I was thinking something went wrong with the update.
It probably was an update. Its happened to me on windows 10. Sadly more common then it should be. Doesn't help that the windows system restore ends up being useless most of the time too...

tinfoilhat

Donating Member
Reaction score
Also if you have a spare computer, or download a linux live cd, you can probably grab your data off the drive before reinstall just to be safe.

Linux mint is a good one for a live cd and easy gui interface. If you run it as a live cd, it'll run from RAM and allow you to access the drives

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
Sounds like a hardware issue. Did you try pulling a stick of RAM...or at least swapping it around yet? Can you get to safe mode at all? It may be possible your HD shit the bed

Rebel

Reaction score
Doing more reading I'm confident it was a bad update. I normally don't do automatic updates so I'm not sure what happened there. Can't repair the boot process so I think I'm stuck reinstalling windows. Just ordered a m2 drive and going to start over. Just need to find my win 7 key and see if I can still upgrade to 10 for free.

This is my most recent try to get this fixed and since it isn't working, I'd rather do a clean install.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/clone-disk/bootrec-fixboot-access-is-denied.html

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
It probably was an update. Its happened to me on windows 10. Sadly more common then it should be. Doesn't help that the windows system restore ends up being useless most of the time too...
This. Had this happen twice on me. The first time, it took me a while to figure it out. Eventually I rolled back some drivers from a recent update that I think were to my onboard graphics card. A while later, same thing happened, but I figured I'll try the same thing and roll back one driver at a time and see, and sure enough, it worked no problem.

Rebel

Reaction score
Sounds like a hardware issue. Did you try pulling a stick of RAM...or at least swapping it around yet? Can you get to safe mode at all? It may be possible your HD shit the bed
I was able to get into safe mode a couple hours ago. Since I got into this automatic repair loop, I can't do anything now. A health check said the SSD was healthy, but I don't know how thorough it is.

This. Had this happen twice on me. The first time, it took me a while to figure it out. Eventually I rolled back some drivers from a recent update that I think were to my onboard graphics card. A while later, same thing happened, but I figured I'll try the same thing and roll back one driver at a time and see, and sure enough, it worked no problem.
Tried doing the 3 most recent system restores but that has gotten me into my current loading issue.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
Had this happen to someone at work last Wednesday on a SurfacePro.

Said he was working on something in Excel, it was downloading an update, bluescreened, and boot-looped into recovery.

I got a hold of it, the "soft" reinstall didn't work. The full erase and wipe didn't work. Had to download a brand new SurfacePro image from Microshit and he lost whatever he didn't move off to our network drive.

Then gets angry at me for said data loss.

k

There was definitely another broken update those dumbfuck pajeets at microdick threw out.

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
I got tired of chasing down what update crashed what....all my home PC's are widows 7 now.

tinfoilhat

Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm about to migrate to either windows server or linux only. Gaming on Linux has gotten much better lately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom