NEW RIDE PANDA's - Ballin on a budget gas saver BMW.

Yaj Yak

Commander
Donating Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not I'm having a hard time finding snow tires in that size... I might have to buy 17's to find tires. :rofl:

Id probably go with OEM BMW E60 wheels from that period. Been looking FB and craigslist.

run 205/60/r16.

exact same height as 225/55r16 (which should be on there i'd guess?)

just slightly narrower.

tons of options in that size for winter tires.

OP
PANDA

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
run 205/60/r16.

exact same height as 225/55r16 (which should be on there i'd guess?)

just slightly narrower.

tons of options in that size for winter tires.

Good idea. I can buy the tire I wanted in that size.

Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 | 205/60R16 (tirerack.com)

Looks like .8" narrower. Not sure I like that but should move through snow easier.

Bob Hope

Formerly Alive
Donating Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not I'm having a hard time finding snow tires in that size... I might have to buy 17's to find tires. :rofl:

Id probably go with OEM BMW E60 wheels from that period. Been looking FB and craigslist.
Really it’s just the style of wheel, I’m sure there’s plenty of oem wheels that would bring it up a notch.

What about a narrower tire? 16” general arctic altimax tires were so cheap in 16

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
As long as the offset is right, you can do 3 series rims too. Shouldn’t be too bad of you go to 17”s since there more choices than x drive models

OP
PANDA

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Probably should have done a little research and replaced this myself as it does not sound very hard but dropped off the 525i at the mechanic for a PO444 SES light. Purge valve circuit open.

Labor: $135
Part: $114 (BMW OEM)

They also hit me for a $99 diagnostic fee. Is that standard? I am trying a new shop that my girlfriend uses because they offer a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty and complete repairs very quickly. I looked at a few repair invoices from my Tahoe that are a bit more straight forward from other shops and I don't see a diagnostic fee.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I had the identical car, but it was auto. It ended up developing a bad misfire at idle and I couldn't track down the issue. All of the BMW forums/etc more or less suggested just throwing parts at it until it was fixed, so I sold it instead.

I have the blue BMW-specific diagnostics cable if you want it. It's the blue K-line cable shown here: https://bcables.com/

OP
PANDA

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I had the identical car, but it was auto. It ended up developing a bad misfire at idle and I couldn't track down the issue. All of the BMW forums/etc more or less suggested just throwing parts at it until it was fixed, so I sold it instead.

I have the blue BMW-specific diagnostics cable if you want it. It's the blue K-line cable shown here: https://bcables.com/
Thanks

I picked this up a few days after buying the car. Figured I would need it. :rofl:

AmazonSmile: FOXWELL NT510 Elite Full Systems Scanner for BMW Automotive Obd2 Code Reader Bidirectional Diagnostic Scan Tool with SRS EPB SAS TPS Active Test Oil Reset Battery Registration : Automotive

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
When I worked at a dealer many moons ago ( and for that matter the dealers that I have dealt with recently ), the inspection fee is the minimum cost.
Once the vehicle is diagnosed, the inspection fee 'should go toward the repair'
It's essentially a 1 hour charge, so if the repair is 1.5 hours of book time, it should be the labor rate x 1.5 hours + the part.
Not a separate line item.

Sounds like BS if you ask me. I don't think you need any of us to tell you this but just ask the next repair facility how the inspection fee works when approving work.
:bigthumb:

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score

DEEZUZ

IT'S BRETT BUBBLE TIME
Donating Member
Reaction score
Probably should have done a little research and replaced this myself as it does not sound very hard but dropped off the 525i at the mechanic for a PO444 SES light. Purge valve circuit open.

Labor: $135
Part: $114 (BMW OEM)

They also hit me for a $99 diagnostic fee. Is that standard? I am trying a new shop that my girlfriend uses because they offer a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty and complete repairs very quickly. I looked at a few repair invoices from my Tahoe that are a bit more straight forward from other shops and I don't see a diagnostic fee.

If we have to pop the hood or hook up scanner, then yes you're getting charged our $165 fee.

If you drop off truck and part and say change this, you have to sign a waiver saying we Completes no dio and are not responsible for result. That's even if we accept the job. 9/10 if you bring your own parts we won't even take the job.

You don't take a steak to the steak house and have them cook it for you, do you?

blueoval4life

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
If we have to pop the hood or hook up scanner, then yes you're getting charged our $165 fee.

If you drop off truck and part and say change this, you have to sign a waiver saying we Completes no dio and are not responsible for result. That's even if we accept the job. 9/10 if you bring your own parts we won't even take the job.

You don't take a steak to the steak house and have them cook it for you, do you?
Where does it say he brought the part in? Also, I have always had the diagnostic fee waved if the service is performed by that particular dealer/mechanic.

DEEZUZ

IT'S BRETT BUBBLE TIME
Donating Member
Reaction score
Where does it say he brought the part in? Also, I have always had the diagnostic fee waved if the service is performed by that particular dealer/mechanic.
I never said he brought his own part in, just stating what we do.

Maybe the Tahoe work orders were different cause parts were supplied/no dio?

DEEZUZ

IT'S BRETT BUBBLE TIME
Donating Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the waiving of the dio if you're doing the repair. I'd never wave the dio fee. Ever. Come pick your vehicle up and spend another day dropping it off at another shop, organizing another ride/missing time at work. 🤣

You're paying for our time to find out the issue. Now whether it takes 5 mins or 1.5 hours, what's that matter?

Somebody has to pay for my time and materials and tools used to dio.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the waiving of the dio if you're doing the repair. I'd never wave the dio fee. Ever. Come pick your vehicle up and spend another day dropping it off at another shop, organizing another ride/missing time at work. 🤣

You're paying for our time to find out the issue. Now whether it takes 5 mins or 1.5 hours, what's that matter?

Somebody has to pay for my time and materials and tools used to dio.
You deal with more fleet vehicles and HD work trucks.
I think the mindset of a typical passenger car dealer is there has to be some incentive to 'appear to be given to the customer' for them to approve you to do the work.

The last year I was at the dealer, 2005, the labor rate was already $149.95 ( Chicago).
If a soccer mom brought in her 100k mile Plymouth voyager and had a check engine light. She signed for the 149.95 diagnostic fee.
If the tech ran the code and confirmed it was a tps sensor and the labor to change it was 1hr.
Then the cost is the 149.95 plus the part.
Some techs would write it up for 1.5hrs and some service writers would bump up the labor because it helped their numbers.
We all know it will take the tech 10 mins to change it.
Just explaining how things were handled there.

Rico

Reaction score
Looks clean! congrats! Highly recommend German Auto werks in Lake in the Hills if you ever need service or a 2nd opinion on something. They only work on Bimmers and Mini's, very knowledgeable, professional, and competitively priced labor rates.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom