Painting wheels

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
sgLT6Ol.jpg

Picked up a set of 4 SHO wheels for my Flex. I've got a set of "summer" tires that I want to mount onto these, but I wanted to paint them/get them painted.

I'm not the steadiest hand, and painting is not really my specialty (although I'm not opposed to trying). Would it be worth it to send out for paint? Is powdercoating that much more? I would want a gloss black wheel.

Shops to consider?

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Without investing in a proper gun I wouldn’t even bother. I’d also worry about the tire shop damaging the paint installing the tires. I’m assuming to do it right the factory paint or whatever is on them would have to be stripped also.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
paint isn't as durable as powdercoat...

and powder coat isn't as durable as you'd think. :rofl:

You can paint them but without a durable clear the paint will get scratched easily and you will get chips.

Powercoating is much more durable but as KJ points out won't withstand being curbed or a moron tire installer.

If your looking to do it cheap, mask up the tires, scuff up the wheels with 3m scuff pads and paint them your color choice. If you want some added durability throw a few coats of clear on them. You could do this in just a few hours and for $40 in spray paint and masking materials. If it doesn't last you can always pony up the cash to have them PC'd.

If your going to send it out for paint you should just go strait to getting them powdercoated. The price difference isn't that much at that point.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
My summer wheels have been powder coated for 2.5 years. I lightly curbed one of them so will probably get them redone in some obnoxious color and put snow tires on them next winter. Other than the curb damage the finish has held up pretty well.

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
Powdercoat is so worth it I heard our sponsor is doing 4 for 400 (on Facebook) right now. I know there are places that do it for less. I've paid 75 per wheel.

Interested in powdercoating my saabaru stock summer wheels.
Where do you suggest? 75/wheel would be great but If they can mount the tires too that would be worth the 100 more to me

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info