3800 Painting parts underneath the hood??

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
So my brother mentioned that he wanted to paint some parts underneath the hood. His car's engine bay is in perfect condition. There isnt a drop of oil anywhere, nothing, spotless. So I want this paint job to be done properly and to hold up. So I was wondering what is the best way to paint the metal and plastic parts underneath the hood? Also, many people stress that the spray clear coat is not good. How much would it cost to take the parts to a shop and have them clear coat it? Any and all advice is welcomed. Thanx guys.

You definatly want to take the parts out of your car first that you want to paint. You should stick to high temperature paint, out of a can is all i know of. I work at a body shop and the clearcoat we spray for the outside of a car is not for high temperatures,like next to an engine. It will look good for a few months and then it will start cracking and peeling because of all the stress. I know theres not too many colors to pick from in the high temp. paint but if you want it to last and not have to re-do it a bunch of times, i'd stick with that. Preping the parts for paint should be detailed on the paint your using, just a word of advice, read the directions if you've never done it.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
hahaha just paintin the shit myself...

spray Simple Green and wash off/ dry off several times unles clean (even tho it is)

High temp primer if you want
High temp paint
High temp Clear coat....

you will achieve this if so..

paintin7.jpg

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
when I painted my intake on my white gp. It was still on the car. I cleaned it off. Masked everything in the general are very very well. I then just sprayed 3 coats of high heat paint on. It looks flawless. I have pics too if you want to see.

Originally posted by syP@Jan 28 2005, 01:53 AM
hahaha just paintin the shit myself...

spray Simple Green and wash off/ dry off several times unles clean (even tho it is)

High temp primer if you want
High temp paint
High temp Clear coat....

you will achieve this if so..

paintin7.jpg

[snapback]69206[/snapback]​

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info