• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

P0174 won't go away

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
Threw this code last week. The car frequently died in stop and go traffic. At one point wouldn't start at all, like a dead fuel pump. I changed the fuel sensor, drivers 02 sensor, put in fuel injector cleaner, had the gound wire for the boost a pump messed with... wasn't completely grounded.

The car no longer dies, but still throws the code. Takes about an hour of driving to pop up.

Thoughts as to how to fix the car?

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Was the code referencing a specific "bank"? I see you changed the driver side 02, was that the side getting the code. Not familiar with the 02 arrangement on your car, but P0174 is typically an O2 sensor or tuning related issue.

Like somebody said, sounds like you're on the right track.

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
The code is back. Come to think of it none of this happened until after I got rear ended a few weeks back. My money is still on the fuel pump or a lose wire in relation to the fuel system. Car completely died last night before cleaning the iac. Acted like it ran outta gas. Slowly dropping in rpms no matter what I did with the gas petal, till it died. It would turn over, but wouldn't fire up. Gave it 5 min and it started. Gave it 3 hours and I was driving home.

What's the deal?

Tbone63

The Interceptor
Apr 12, 2011
Crystal Lake, IL
The code is back. Come to think of it none of this happened until after I got rear ended a few weeks back. My money is still on the fuel pump or a lose wire in relation to the fuel system. Car completely died last night before cleaning the iac. Acted like it ran outta gas. Slowly dropping in rpms no matter what I did with the gas petal, till it died. It would turn over, but wouldn't fire up. Gave it 5 min and it started. Gave it 3 hours and I was driving home.

What's the deal?

Vacuum in the tank? Maybe your gas cap isn't venting properly.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Pulled the plugs and they were all WHITE from running lean.

O2's are making voltage, no vacuum leaks.

I had a few SC pipes off and noticed they were rusting on the inside.....how does that happen??? Dont know dont care. I cleaned the MAF, cleared the memory in the pcm and put it back together.....wasnt gonna do any more since it was cutting into my BBQ time.

justbob

Just a grandpa car with a vacuum leak.
Jan 23, 2010
Behind that famous burrito joint
Real Name
Bob
The FP Duty cycle was at 16% at idle....which says the fuel filter is not clogged and the pump is not struggling.

Curious, was that while it was acting up? Mine took just over a year to bite the dust. Never failed, EVERYTIME I datalogged the car was fine. Of course, not only was the FP sporatic as all get out, but also atleast one COP. Both issues haunted me for over a year, before I did something I never ever do, and that was give up and throw parts at it... FP fixed most of all of my troubles (overheating I reccon?) The other was faulty COPs, but not as severe. The car felt like a fighter jet after that.

Dom, I already told you how stupid easy the AFR is to hook up. Don't delay and have to pay the piper. Sorry I am so busy right now, but not responding back with a cool or at least a fuck you was kinda rude. Give me a week and a half and I can do it, or get it done elsewhere, whatever, I could care less. But I do care about you and your sanity if you were to blow a hole in a piston...

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
Bob, sorry I didn't respond. I actually completely forgot and had more on my plate than I could handle that week. So again, sorry I forgot to get back to you. The car seems okay right now, but I suppose I will have a better understanding of everything when I have the wideband installed.

Btw I put the old bigger fuel filter back in that Zack put in. Someone showed me a trick I had to do orally... the filter was fine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info