• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

P0018 Ecoboost

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
So yesterday my car through a code for P0018 which is basically cam sensor does match crank sensor positioning for bank 2. I have done a little research on the 3.5 and it seems that this common error but not a common fix. I do have a slight rattle at start up (indicating stretched timing chain), however I have no loss of power, and MPGs aren't bad at all.

Does anyone have suggestions..

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It obviously has all of the signs of a stretched timing chain, so what are you asking? If it doesn't rattle at all when nothing is wrong with it then it needs to be serviced. OR you can trade in the clapped out piece of junk before it falls apart. :dunno: Timing stuff is pretty detrimental when it fails.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Lol so I am definitely trading it in... however I am not 100% sure that its the timing chain causing this issue. Specifically I have read that when a timing chain stretches it sets off p0016 which is the main indicator the time chain is off.

And how can I trade it in with a CEL lol..

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I wouldn't feel dishonest trading in a used car despite the condition. I once bought a used car off a dealer they informed me that did their "100 point" safety inspection. Put it up on the rack and all the cords were showing on the tires... I asked them to show me the safety inspection. Of course, they couldn't... so I got a free set of tires.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I have traded in cars where they look out the window and that's it... Its crazy sometimes how little they care.

Most trades depending on mileage and year of car are just wholesaled at auction. So unless its a low mileage car or one they think they can sell on their lot they typically don't care as you have noticed.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I've been in the business a long time and I drive every trade hard and make sure it shifts into every gear. I do also a few full throttle pulls to make sure no check engine lights kick on. I also look for prev body work misaligned panels, bondo or big scuffs. I do this because as a mgr I have to sign my name on the appraisal.

You guys don't know how many times I hear it's just a sensor and if that was the case u would have fixed and maybe kept your vehicle pure lies. If the check engine light is on I personally have a scanner or take it to service and run it thru the IDS.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I've been in the business a long time and I drive every trade hard and make sure it shifts into every gear. I do also a few full throttle pulls to make sure no check engine lights kick on. I also look for prev body work misaligned panels, bondo or big scuffs. I do this because as a mgr I have to sign my name on the appraisal.

You guys don't know how many times I hear it's just a sensor and if that was the case u would have fixed and maybe kept your vehicle pure lies. If the check engine light is on I personally have a scanner or take it to service and run it thru the IDS.

You do far more then anyone else. :bowrofl:

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
You do far more then anyone else. :bowrofl:

I've only had one northstar caddi appraisal ever break down and it rolled back into the dealer lot. It was not an expensive car and the customer knew it was a heap.

Our used car mgr says he put a 05 Tahoe in 4x4 with 90k and it would not disengage out of 4x4 in a July month.. lolol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info