P0018 Ecoboost

Blownbyyou

Donating Member
Reaction score
So yesterday my car through a code for P0018 which is basically cam sensor does match crank sensor positioning for bank 2. I have done a little research on the 3.5 and it seems that this common error but not a common fix. I do have a slight rattle at start up (indicating stretched timing chain), however I have no loss of power, and MPGs aren't bad at all.

Does anyone have suggestions..

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
Trade in the clapped out piece of junk before it falls apart

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
It obviously has all of the signs of a stretched timing chain, so what are you asking? If it doesn't rattle at all when nothing is wrong with it then it needs to be serviced. OR you can trade in the clapped out piece of junk before it falls apart. :dunno: Timing stuff is pretty detrimental when it fails.

Blownbyyou

Donating Member
Reaction score
Lol so I am definitely trading it in... however I am not 100% sure that its the timing chain causing this issue. Specifically I have read that when a timing chain stretches it sets off p0016 which is the main indicator the time chain is off.

And how can I trade it in with a CEL lol..

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
unhook the battery 20 minutes before going to the dealer. it will clear the code, and hope it does not pop up before you get there.

Blownbyyou

Donating Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha I have an SCT I can clear the code before hand... but it comes back after about 5 minutes of driving so they will know as soon as they test drive.

I am going to most likely have it fixed (unfortunately), just dont know who to have fix..

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
most places dont even test drive it. its pulled into a bay and given a once over.

i had a dealership tell me my brakes needed to be replaced because i had a lot of brake dust on the rims. i had just replaced pads and rotors earlier that week.

Blownbyyou

Donating Member
Reaction score
Lol, maybe i will. I kind of feel dishonest doing it hahaha.. Even though I know they would Eff me in a heart beat.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
and i would still pull battery cable. its different than just clearing codes with the handheld. at least for GM stuff ive done.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Reaction score
P0016 - P0019 are all related and indicative of timing chain issues. If you want a dealer to perform it, I'd recommend Currie Motors of Frankfort. Speak with Roberto.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha I have an SCT I can clear the code before hand... but it comes back after about 5 minutes of driving so they will know as soon as they test drive.

I am going to most likely have it fixed (unfortunately), just dont know who to have fix..
Where do you live?

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Reaction score
I wouldn't feel dishonest trading in a used car despite the condition. I once bought a used car off a dealer they informed me that did their "100 point" safety inspection. Put it up on the rack and all the cords were showing on the tires... I asked them to show me the safety inspection. Of course, they couldn't... so I got a free set of tires.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
Palos Park... but work in oakbrook..
Ahh, the guy I was going to suggest for the work is in Plainfield. I'd doubt you want to drive that far. But again, as said already, I'd trade it in broken, screw the dealers, they'd do the same shit.

Blownbyyou

Donating Member
Reaction score
Hahhahah well need to get the CEL off long enough... Do you think the battery will do the trick. hahah

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
Just reset it as soon as you get to the dealer. If they say it came on or something, just leave lol.

Blownbyyou

Donating Member
Reaction score
Lol... I really hate being this dishonest even though I know they would do it to me lol!

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
Clearing the code is different than deleting the code. Pulling the battery cable for 20 min erases all memory. Radio presets and all. Try it beforehand to see how long you have before codes come back.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have traded in cars where they look out the window and that's it... Its crazy sometimes how little they care.

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
I have traded in cars where they look out the window and that's it... Its crazy sometimes how little they care.

Most trades depending on mileage and year of car are just wholesaled at auction. So unless its a low mileage car or one they think they can sell on their lot they typically don't care as you have noticed.

Blownbyyou

Donating Member
Reaction score
I am guessing that is going to be the case... it has 85k on it.

RedBeard

Formerly ScreamingMach46
Reaction score
I was surprised when VW took my 155k miles 03 Focus for a test drive before giving me trade in value on it.

The Beast

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
I've been in the business a long time and I drive every trade hard and make sure it shifts into every gear. I do also a few full throttle pulls to make sure no check engine lights kick on. I also look for prev body work misaligned panels, bondo or big scuffs. I do this because as a mgr I have to sign my name on the appraisal.

You guys don't know how many times I hear it's just a sensor and if that was the case u would have fixed and maybe kept your vehicle pure lies. If the check engine light is on I personally have a scanner or take it to service and run it thru the IDS.

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
I've been in the business a long time and I drive every trade hard and make sure it shifts into every gear. I do also a few full throttle pulls to make sure no check engine lights kick on. I also look for prev body work misaligned panels, bondo or big scuffs. I do this because as a mgr I have to sign my name on the appraisal.

You guys don't know how many times I hear it's just a sensor and if that was the case u would have fixed and maybe kept your vehicle pure lies. If the check engine light is on I personally have a scanner or take it to service and run it thru the IDS.

You do far more then anyone else. :bowrofl:

The Beast

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
You do far more then anyone else. :bowrofl:

I've only had one northstar caddi appraisal ever break down and it rolled back into the dealer lot. It was not an expensive car and the customer knew it was a heap.

Our used car mgr says he put a 05 Tahoe in 4x4 with 90k and it would not disengage out of 4x4 in a July month.. lolol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom