• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Overheated ignition coil?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
So I was out on Ogden trolling, and came across this Camaro thing. He slowed down to roll race…in participating I dropped it into first and car was really unhappy about it.

since I might have hurt the car, and traffic was pretty tight thought it would be better to just head home. Car developed a misfire in cylinder 5. I had to keep resetting the error to keep it running. After a few miles it seems to have self healed.

so I pulled the plugs, and they were good (I suspected I melted a strap). No balled up metal, no discoloration.

I threw a borescope in cylinder 5, and looks fine.

coil was real hot on that cylinder though. Does this seem plausible?

Can high cylinder pressure/high rpm kill or overheat a coil?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
With most of the epoxyd stuff nowadays vibration isn't as much of an issue but I'm going to guess just a manufacturing defect that finally reared its ugly head enough to short a bunch of windings.

Don't forget for a while now you've been dealing with a low voltage issue which almost always means that things draw more current than they would normally...heating up more than usual....Now that your charging system is up at full voltage, an electrical leak isn't unheard of now they are back to firing at 55kv

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I was thinking about it last night, and I might just be a touch lean too. I fattened up the lambda a little, and added more afr at high rpm in the range during shifts. I had misfires on the 3 cylinders farthest from the pump, so it makes sense on the heat.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I keep killing injectors on the second bank…don’t know why. Mosfets check out. I put brand new 12’s on bank 2 and they were killed in a few weeks.
They end up “popping “ after a hard run. I just keep throwing used injectors in there when they pop. By pop they seem to blow some internal seal that just dumps gas at idle. I lowered the commanded pressure to the HPFP at high rpm to prevent this from happening. I’m hitting about 3100-3300psi at the rail

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yes. I went through two on the Caddy over the last year. NO visible signs of scorching or shorting out on the body (like where a rubber boot meets the plastic shaft as GM had issues with other versions that did that).

I'd just be driving along, give it some juice and all the sudden it's sputter and misfire. Hooked it up to the T2, found the cylinder, and swapped coils and the misfire moved with the coil. So I chalked it up to heat too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info