• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Over rev or Trans slip?

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
Its a 310/305 bored. With h.o. Heads, performer intake, full tube headers and i don't know what cam. Now that i think of it its like the ignition stops maybe? Motor doesn't noise dive nor does Trans rev out. The engine just poops. Like no spark. But its only when not at operating temp. Once up its fine. Ignition is only a hei distributor with the vacuum advanced hose on the off road side of the Edelbrock carb.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Find someone that can hook a gauge up to it or buy one. I think I have an "oil pressure gauge" that'd get the job done I got at HF cheap. You'll need one for at least 250 PSI.

The other thing to do is check your TV cable and make sure it's not outa wack as it controls line pressure.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 2nd gear bog is expected as well, 700R4s have a steep 1-2 ratio. If you're running it cold the fluid would have a higher viscosity and in turn that would tighten the converter increasing the RPM drop. It may be more noticable if you have some cam and a stock(ish) converter in it too IMO. The tighter the converter the more it will act like a manual (where the ratios directly determine the RPM drop at the shift)

Do you have a tach on it? Ultimately it's better to quantify these sort of things.

The other thing is it doesn't really stall does it? If it does, wondering about the lock up. Oh yeah, one more thing it's a late model gear box right? If it's 85 or earlier you WILL burn it up if you don't engage the torque converter clutch at cruise. Just warning you. Think the shift kit will correct it however.

Lastly it's plausible the ECU, mazes of vacuum line (if carb) and/or the TPI system was providing a more ideal mix at cold conditions and your carb is well fat as fuck when it's cold and you hit the accel enrichment. Ultimately the question in my mind is what change did you make when this started. The more changes you made at once, the more difficult it is to figure out.

ED:last thing to remember is that you're talking about an intake "rated" to 5800 on a 350. Most people don't rate on a 305. Because of that it's highly likely that intake is going to be fine for your 305 for higher than 5800, plausibly significantly higher. What is it exactly, a Performer or similar?

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
Yo Nick numbers, go live with the rednecks in Iowa already, your gay and a idiot. What you even race? Paper air planes?
Keep your stupid comments out of my threads especially when you don't even know what your talking about. Go back to school please and learn something about cars preferably.

You manually shift an auto because its not match built to the engines power band. So if you don't hold first its shift way too early along with second. Now bye. You too slow Buick. Bring that hunk out already you said you wanted a piece of this 305 but you ran off. Sissy.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
Now that i see this bp recall maybe that's why my motor is crapping. It just started recently and i have been buying from Elwood bp since it by my work and under 4 bucks. Maybe they got some of that batch? Hmmm...... Never know. But you say its the Trans for sure. I'm not getting on it like that again till i get shift kit in tho cause that's been long over due. We'll see in 2 weeks if the kit makes a difference. I got a few mods to do as well but I'm keeping that to myself. For now. "insert evil laugh"

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info