🔧 BUILD Out with the wife's VW Beetle, in with the all electric VW ID.4 Pro S

General Information

So, the crazy car market moved us to trade in my wife's 2019 Beetle convertible with 24k miles. We bought her Beetle new for $22.5k exactly 2 years ago. We were given $30k in trade value by VW Autobarn who really wanted it, even with damage showing on Carfax. Hard to pass that offer up...

That led us to test drive a couple VW ID.4s, and we found one she liked. Basically, it's a RWD electric with around 250 to 260 miles of range and comes with 3 years of free charging at Electrify America stations, one of which is near where the wife works. It can go from 5% to 80% range in 38 minutes at any of those stations. We'll be adding in a Level 2 Charger at our home soon enough, but can manage with Level 1 slow charging on a regular outlet until then along with the free public charging. My neighbor and her brother are both electricians and can literally hook us up.

If it were me, I would have perhaps ordered the dual motor version for better performance, but that's about 6 to 8 months out if we ordered today, apparently. Not sure we'd get a similar crazy offer for her Beetle next May either. So that was a factor in buying right now.

The Pro S is RWD and has a reasonable-for-the-wife 0 to 60 of about 7.5 seconds. Not a rocket ship, of course. Low center of gravity and weight bias in the rear make it handle well for a crossover, and it should be acceptable in the winter. The Mach E was appealing to me also, but she liked the ID.4 best. We leased, and VW applies the $7500 federal tax credit to the deal. Ford pockets that tax credit if leased. That sways the money numbers heavily in favor of the VW.

The touchscreen controls for most everything get mostly negative feedback in all the reviews. But they are becoming easier to use after a few hours with it. My wife is absolutely smitten with how upscale the interior and exterior is, along with the way it drives and the enormous skylight. I better get rewarded often for this...

Enthusiasts should look elsewhere, or at least wait for the AWD Dual Motor version. But I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes living with an all electric with acceptable range and comfortable driving dynamics and how it works out for an alternative family vehicle. At least I've got the Stinger, Svartpilen and Firehawk to have some fun with if this thing ends up being far too bland. But that'll still probably suit the wife just fine since she cares more about the styling and non-performance aspects of a vehicle.

I'll be learning more about it over the next few days and get some daytime pics soon.

4ebd7635a83babdeae906054f169983c.jpg
f7f636c20ac27c10d47a3f200b46a65b.jpg
7fe513e46da6f9efba5448a222735a02.jpg
c4702a4ac4a3884c1ad4581486322e8c.jpg
20211104_214548.jpg
20211104_214615.jpg

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Here’s mine charging tonight.
You don't need to unplug it when not in use, right? Instructions aren't too clear about that. I figure you leave it plugged in since you charge with it daily.

My neighbor and I just finished getting our wiring and outlet set up today. We spent about $200 at Home Depot for supplies: 3-33' #6, 1-33' #10, 2 pole 50A breaker, 14-50 outlet with box and cover. He had enough conduit that I didn't need to buy that. The charger showed up a few hours later: $400 for the Lefanev 40A Level 2 charger and Wall mount for cord and holster. I gave him $100 for his time of helping me out.

So right about $700 to get my home set up for a basic (no wi-fi) Level 2 40A charger. One could certainly spend quite a bit more than that. I tested it out briefly, and looks like it'll add around 33 miles of range per hour which is more than adequate for our needs.

Wife charged up today at the Electrify America for free (VW perk) near her work, and went from 10% to 80% in about 30 minutes. She plans on using that quite often

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
You don't need to unplug it when not in use, right? Instructions aren't too clear about that. I figure you leave it plugged in since you charge with it daily.

My neighbor and I just finished getting our wiring and outlet set up today. We spent about $200 at Home Depot for supplies: 3-33' #6, 1-33' #10, 2 pole 50A breaker, 14-50 outlet with box and cover. He had enough conduit that I didn't need to buy that. The charger showed up a few hours later: $400 for the Lefanev 40A Level 2 charger and Wall mount for cord and holster. I gave him $100 for his time of helping me out.

So right about $700 to get my home set up for a basic (no wi-fi) Level 2 40A charger. One could certainly spend quite a bit more than that. I tested it out briefly, and looks like it'll add around 33 miles of range per hour which is more than adequate for our needs.

Wife charged up today at the Electrify America for free (VW perk) near her work, and went from 10% to 80% in about 30 minutes. She plans on using that quite often
I leave mine plugged in all the time. Glad you already got it hooked up.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
So the oem tires are staggered, 235/55 19 front, and 255/50 19 rear for the RWD. Wheels are 8.0 for both front and rear. Makes a regular rotation impossible.

I just picked up a used square set of 255/50 19 winter tires (Yoko Iceguard G075) and wheels (Drag DR70). Prior owner used them on his Audi S8, and still has 11/32nds of tread.

Not that we've needed snow tires yet, but with RWD, I feel that it'll give the wife some more safety when it does finally get slick. And we can see how it drives on a square setup as well.

20211220_162528.jpg

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I've got a set of snow's in the garage for my Kia, but concerned about the reduction in range from the gummy tread. Let me know how your kWH/mile is with the snows vs EV tires.
As my wife drives it daily, I don't drive it enough to really know what it's been getting. Since the front tires are now 255 instead of 235, the offset pushes them out to flush with the fender and more in the airflow (instead of tucked like oem), and the spokes aren't smooth, I'm sure the range will go down even if the tread compound had the same rolling resistance. But dropping a bit of range in exchange for more grip and safety in snow, if we ever get any, is a worthwhile trade-off for us.

Reactions: Dave M

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Just some new photos of it cleaned up on a winter day. It's not fast at all, but it's somehow fun to drive, especially scooting away from a light up to about 50 where it's reasonably quick and effortless. It doesn't feel like a crossover, and actually reminds me somewhat of a heavier GTI with the way it drives. But with RWD and rear weight bias, it hooks up well in the wet and it's been good in the snow with the Yoko winter tires. Stability and traction control don't allow hardly any oversteer---bad for fun, good for the wife though. She absolutely loves driving it, and is completely used to the touchscreen controls now. So far so good ?

20220111_162813.jpg
20220111_162823.jpg
20220111_162843.jpg
20220111_162833.jpg

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
We were able to do a highway trip of 230 miles from Castle Rock Lake area (north of Wis Dells) to Plainfield IL tonight without any stops, and still having about 25 miles of range remaining. Outdoor temps were above 80, so still needed the AC. We did use my Stinger as the lead "draft" vehicle doing about 75 mph for the majority of the trip to help out since I really wanted to help ease my wife's "range anxiety" and have her learn some better techniques to maximize range for highway travel, which is not the strong suit of EVs.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Dan00Hawk Dan00Hawk did you see this?

Doesn't apply to our 2021 as it was made in Germany, just the 2022+ that were made in the US plant. The article title is misleading and they don't mention this key part:
23,883 vehicles made between September 2, 2022, and August 24, 2023, are included in the recall

Reactions: blue-sun

Thread Info