NEW RIDE Our Ford Edge ST woes Thread

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
March of 2019 wife wanted a SUV again after driving the Sonata Sport Turbo for 4 years. Went in looking at Explorers with a 3rd row and left with the blue Edge ST that was in the showroom floor. Wife is an aggressive driver and an Explorer sport just wouldn’t cut it did her driving style (she once raced a couple guys in a 2G DSM while in my MR2 Turbo, on 355 to triple digits - and won)

anywho, the Edge ST had been out maybe 2 months when we purchased it, so we opted for the extended warranty to 100k since it was a new modelBought it at Gerald Ford that had a “Lifetime Warranty” on the power train.

I’ll have to go through all the paperwork we have for the Edge ST and list out all the issues, but I’ll give the highlights here:

oil pan gasket leaked after an oil change at maybe 12k IIRC.

transmission had a TCB software update for how it shifted so harshly.

heated seats failed once or twice

then there’s the auto start/stop issues that’s been the bane of our existence. The car drives fine and there’s a button to disable the auto start stop but if you forget to do it when you get in the car, it happens. Yes, they sell a bypass for it, but being the wife’s car, she’s not into modifying cars and is afraid of the future warranty claims if we got it, especially now that we’ve had issues with it.

At red lights or in traffic, it’s a crapshoot to see if the car will turn back on when you start to release the brake pedal. In theory, as soon as you release the brakes the car should turn back on immediately. Often it does nothing. Sometimes we get error messages. Sometimes nothing. We’ve had it in at least 3 times now, and the most recent time (less than a month ago because I already had my GTI) and at that time the dealer determined it was a bad battery, so that was replaced.

Car is going back next week again and once we get it back, it’s car shopping time. It barely had 30k on it (305XX) and we haven’t gone 6 months without it being in the shop. Pretty rediculous if you ask me.

the day we bought her:

2C828C32-24B3-48E9-8B84-7C8C79EC6DC3.jpeg

BFE06F67-944A-4FBC-81DC-917DDBE39C2F.jpeg

2F850D13-DBA6-44E3-A15F-E0874A077AF2.jpeg

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Those all sound like normal issues. Lots of start stop battery failure in vehicles with them. Tons of software updates across brands for harsh shift and a lot of other stuff.

yeah, but it’s all a pain in the ass to deal with, especially given that the MSRP on this car was nearly 50k. We got a goodish deal on it, as we bought her old Edge from the same Ford Dealer when it was under previous ownership andthe Sonata was bought and serviced at Gerald Hyundai.

The harsh shifting has been fixed since the TSB last year but the auto start is a pain. I wish the dealer could/would disable it permanently somehow.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
If the auto start issue is detailed in your service history of your service request for the vehicle and they cannot fix the brake pedal restart issue. Just install the bypass. It's not going to affect your warranty cuz they're not repairing it anyways

it’s more a symptom of not great engineering by Ford. Not to mention the piss poor transmission. Even with the TSB, it’s just not a great transmission to drive. 2nd and 3rd gear are geared too close to each other.
It’s also the fact that we can’t rely on this 50k vehicle that’s fairly new. I don’t want to get further away from new and have something else electrical fail.

we got this car a year after I got my Jetta GLI. I drove that car alot (from 8k to 63k) and it was NEVER in the shop for anything major. I broke a clip in the glove box once, used a generic oil filter once and has the O-ring fail, both easily explained and not a flaw in the design or engineering of the car and it cost less than half what the Edge ST did.

I love that look of the car, it drives good for an SUV, it’s plenty fast and is practical. It’s just not reliable, and that’s something that’s hard to swallow these days.

Reactions: v6buicks

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
I have a 2016 edge sport. 57k so far. The only issue I had was a adaptive steering fault that was fixed. The tried and true 6 speed auto in these. In addition the 15-18 did not have the start stop.

Have not heard great things about the Edge ST between the trans and random software issues. The refresh looks nice though.

I’ll add if if wasn’t for the incentives and financing at the time I would have gone Audi. These things are priced way to close to other great options.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
She had an 08 Edge that we drove for 110-120k. It had a small amount of issues in a span of 6-7 years that we had it. In the end the trans started acting up and we dumped it as soon as we could. It also had an issue with the gas tank that my father in law “fixed” with who knows what.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Also, does anyone have any incite into Lemon Laws? What are the rules about it? Mileage based? Or time period? Does the car have to be “inoperable” to be lemoned? I’m just thinking of options after they say “nothing wrong with it”

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Reactions: Chet Donnelly

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I want to use Forscan to mess with my tpms settings. Can I come over and use your dongle?!?! Lol
For sure! Can borrow it whenever.
Can I come over too and have you do it?
Same as above, you can definitely use/borrow the dongle whenever. I don't know the parameters though for an Edge, so I definitely can't do it for you.

Reactions: blue-sun

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
You can use Forscan or look for the eliminator plug. My dad has the exact same edge you do and complained about the shifting but had the latest whatever done and he said it’s better. He has never had an issue with S/S.
A really good call! Bunch of F150 guys use the eliminator plugs too.

Thread Info