Oregon To Lower Voting Age To 16

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
I can't necessarily say I'm super opposed, but I do think they should then also lower the drinking age, smoking age, strip club age, etc. to the same. Crazy to me the law gets to determine when you are "mature enough" to do certain things, and puts voting as one of the least.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oregon-lawmakers-introduce-bill-to-lower-voter-age-to-16

Oregon lawmakers are floating a bill that would ask voters to amend the state’s constitution to lower the voting age from 18 to 16-years-old under a plan unveiled Monday.

If passed, the question could be put before voters in the 2020 presidential election. Oregon would become the first state to lower the statewide voting age to 16, which would give younger voters the opportunity "to participate in the ballot -- about decisions that affect their homes, their clean air, their future, their schools and, as we’ve seen, their very lives,” Democratic State Sen. Shemia Fagan said during a news conference in Salem.

"Sixteen-year-olds are subject to our criminal justice system," Fagan added, according to the Salem Statesman-Journal. "They are couch surfing with friends while their families experience homelessness and they're begging us to take action to protect their future."

MrDragster1970

Reaction score

Ridiculous. You can't sign contracts, you can't serve your country, you can't drink or buy weapons but you can vote???
So what's happening, too many Conservatives moving in???

If anything, they should think about raising the age, requiring property ownership or requiring a minimum IQ score to vote

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
How's that going to work? 16-17 y.o.s will be able to vote in State elections but not in federal? Federal voting age is covered by a Constitutional Amendment (26?) that dropped the voting age from 21 to 18 back in the '70s. It would take a change to that amendment to allow people younger than 18 to vote in federal elections.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yet they keep wanting to raise the age to own a rifle because young people can't be responsible...............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom