• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Need opinions on tire replacement

JFish75

Addict
TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2019
Winfield, Il.
Yo! So I've been contemplating getting new tires, but me being a cheap ass MFer I don't want to spend the money and have had a lot of expenditures lately. So I am asking your opinions to push me into what I know is probably the right answer. My current tires are the Conti Extreme Contacts, which I like and will be looking to get them again, however my current tires are getting old, while they have tread and no signs of cracks or anything and the car doesn't see snow and sits in the garage the date codes are pushing 10 years. And I feel like maybe they are not working as well as they should. I feel like a couple of times last year they aren't as grippy as they should be but that may just be in my head and they may just not have been warm enough yet at the time.
What do you all think? Run them for one more season and then definitely replace them next year, or get that shit replaced ASAP.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Replace them. It's not in your head. They do lose performance over time as they dry out. Even if they are kept indoors, it still happens.

If money is tight, check eBay for used tires. There are a few legit used tire sellers on there who list all of the details of what they are selling - tread depth, date code, and detailed pictures.

Reactions: sktchy and JFish75

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
They have always been a thing, just less people paid attention to them. I've been checking them since for the last 20 years when I started doing track days on the motorcycles. You don't want five year old tires on the track, it can be dangerous, you want the newest/freshest you can get. Car/truck street tires are made to last longer, so it is not as critical. But you also don't want to be paying full price for a set of tires that have been on a shelf for 2-3 years.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yo! So I've been contemplating getting new tires, but me being a cheap ass MFer I don't want to spend the money and have had a lot of expenditures lately. So I am asking your opinions to push me into what I know is probably the right answer. My current tires are the Conti Extreme Contacts, which I like and will be looking to get them again, however my current tires are getting old, while they have tread and no signs of cracks or anything and the car doesn't see snow and sits in the garage the date codes are pushing 10 years. And I feel like maybe they are not working as well as they should. I feel like a couple of times last year they aren't as grippy as they should be but that may just be in my head and they may just not have been warm enough yet at the time.
What do you all think? Run them for one more season and then definitely replace them next year, or get that shit replaced ASAP.
If you have any plans to do anything aggressive with them, like high speed runs, long drives, track days (drag or street), replace them. If you're going to drive it from car show to car show, you'll probably be okay.

Reactions: JFish75

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
They have always been a thing, just less people paid attention to them. I've been checking them since for the last 20 years when I started doing track days on the motorcycles. You don't want five year old tires on the track, it can be dangerous, you want the newest/freshest you can get. Car/truck street tires are made to last longer, so it is not as critical. But you also don't want to be paying full price for a set of tires that have been on a shelf for 2-3 years.

right. are we talking about motorcycle track racing :rofl:

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
JFish75 JFish75, as Yaj Yak Yaj Yak posted yesterday, this might help:

Reactions: JFish75

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Agreed on the continental tires. I have them on my Boss 302 and really like them. I've had two sets now and probably will be buying a 3rd set this summer. I'm in the same boat kinda. Tread is fine, but they are aged enough that it's probably time to replace them. I kinda got screwed over by Tire Rack. I bought them in 2019, but they had 2016 date codes on them. I didn't notice until after they were installed and I had driven on them a bit.

Reactions: sktchy and JFish75

JFish75

Addict
TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2019
Winfield, Il.
JFish75 JFish75, as Yaj Yak Yaj Yak posted yesterday, this might help:

Looks like they don't have the Conti's in my size available

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I used to feel the same way about spending money on tires, if they weren't cracked/dry rotted or having 5p patches in them I would never want to spend the money. After seeing the difference new tires (same brand/sizes etc) can make on how the car rides and performs I will never cheap out on tires ever again.

Especially if you've ever been in an accident where tires were the leading cause

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Especially if you've ever been in an accident where tires were the leading cause
My dad found this out the hard way. Took an off ramp in the rain and slid into the guard rail, ripping off the front bumper cover. Tires had 12,000 miles on them, but were seven years old. His truck tires are 80% tread left, but they're from 2011 (he hardly drives it). I keep telling him to replace them, but at a cost of $1000 for a cheap (named) set, it's hard for him to justify. Fortunately they also have a second newer vehicle, which they are using 90% of the time.

Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
My dad found this out the hard way. Took an off ramp in the rain and slid into the guard rail, ripping off the front bumper cover. Tires had 12,000 miles on them, but were seven years old. His truck tires are 80% tread left, but they're from 2011 (he hardly drives it). I keep telling him to replace them, but at a cost of $1000 for a cheap (named) set, it's hard for him to justify. Fortunately they also have a second newer vehicle, which they are using 90% of the time.
Literally hoof the old ones on marketplace to offset the cost of new. Some dumbass kid will eat em up because tread is more valuable than life.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Literally hoof the old ones on marketplace to offset the cost of new. Some dumbass kid will eat em up because tread is more valuable than life.
Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Reactions: sktchy

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Check out tire brokers, like tirebuyer, simple tire, etc. Hell, we got a set of Hankook tires for my wife's van in a 245/65/17 for less than $400 shipped to our door (Wally world). Whenever I shop for tires it's an obsession, and I HAVE to get a great deal. If it takes me less than a week to find a deal I haven't been looking hard enough.

I am also keen on Conti's....but I am also a Falken fanboy, great tires with a lot of value.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info