Opinions on old tires

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Reaction score
Ok so I'm an idiot and I didn't check the DOT stamp on a pair of tires I recently bought used. Basically they're tires from 2008 so almost no one will mount them for "safety" reasons. Frankly I wouldn't have bought them if I had paid close enough attention to that but here I am stuck with these things. My question is, how risky is it REALLY to mount and run these things? Visually they're not dry rotted at all and tread is like 8/32. I did find 1 place that will mount them if I pay cash lol. I already asked the seller if they'd consider refunding me based on the fact that every other tire shop I called said no way, but the seller is a fucking cuck so he said no. Opinions?

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Toss em, not worth the risk IMO

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Tires are generally only good for 5 years weather they get used or not, I had a blow out on my boat trailer this year because I was sold an old tire and didn’t pay attention to the date, it had 200 miles on it

Red Alert

Reaction score
I wouldn’t hesitate if I’m only driving locally. If it’s something where most of my driving is at highway speeds; definitely no.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
im betting my tires on my bmw are from 2005

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Old tires are scary because, to me, ya don't know what's gonna happen.

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Reaction score
A bit more context, I bought them for my track wheels so I had intended to use them for HPDE...

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
It sucks but it isn't worth using those tires. Especially for a HPDE.

A tire that is 10 years old is probably not even close to what it was new. Even if it doesn't come apart or fail, I am sure it will not perform nearly as good as a fresh tire.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
normal dd street tires, run them. track tires. toss em.

GTPpower

Reaction score
My dad has a 1990 f250. Last summer, he finally pulled the original tires off and put new on. Never had a blowout. He got a flat, and the tire guy told him that the tire should be replaced.

Dan00Hawk

Reaction score
While the inner construction will keep everything together, the actual rubber won't have the same grip and pliability of a more recent tire. So they may be a little (or a lot) more unpredictable. Not sure that I'd feel comfortable getting them heated up like a track day event. Daily driving on dry pavement probably wouldn't be an issue. Wet pavement might be sketchy. There are PLENTY of people rolling around on 10 year old tires (doesn't make it good, of course). Inspecting them frequently would be necessary if you plan on using them.

Burn 'em up quick if you feel like you need to get your money's worth out of them. Or if your conscience allows, you could probably sell them online to some other unsuspecting guy who is looking for cheap tires and doesn't care/know about the DOT dating system.

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys. Guess I'll save them for some street driving and burnouts for next season. Argh. What a waste lol.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
id run them. ive ran worse lol

and i dont think the seller is a fucking cuck because he wouldnt refund you.
i wouldnt take the return either.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t use old tires for a track day, where you’re at the highest speeds your car probably sees and where insurance won’t cover your ass if they blow and you crash (maybe track day insurance would?)

Daily driving/commuting, id probably run them. Had tires that were nearing 10 years old on our Honda with lots of tread still but finally changed them out due to cracking last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom