Opinions on Explorer Sport vs Jeep GC Altitude

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
yeah, i can't get into that at all. it looks dated, and it kind of is now, cuz the body has been out since what? 11?

not to mention it's probably because whenever i see one i go OH FUCK IS THAT A COP

:rofl:

but yeah, looks, subjective, and im weird.

They got the update on the grilles and lights front and back in 2016 I think. Ours is all LED everything and it looks awesome at night.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yeah, I get that.

I totally understand people don't like the flex, but again, i love em

CeLEnOt.jpg

they HAVE to be the right style/colors & wheels though.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
yeah, i can't get into that at all. it looks dated, and it kind of is now, cuz the body has been out since what? 11?

not to mention it's probably because whenever i see one i go OH FUCK IS THAT A COP

:rofl:

but yeah, looks, subjective, and im weird.

Ford is working on a new Explorer. I think it's coming out later this year. I agree that the current Gen is long in tooth.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Ford is working on a new Explorer. I think it's coming out later this year. I agree that the current Gen is long in tooth.

They called me in for a survey where they had all the newer SUV's (debadged) and the new Explorer (also debadged). Got paid $250 to fill out surveys on SUV's for 2 hours.

Looked unreal and the interior was a full overhaul.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I mean...for ~$500 worth of tuning you're over 400 bhp and run 13's. For anyone who values quick cars/trucks and is open to slight mods...its really a no brainer.

i dont really think the OP or the majority of the people buying these, care about that aspect.

14 second quarter mile times are plenty to get most wives/moms in trouble with the PO-lice easily enough. :rofl:

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
They're very similar but my deciding factor on the Explorer is easy. I've seen them both in crashes and the Explorer wins all day long. The Jeep doesn't do well in front or rear collisions that I've seen. I feel it's a safer vehicle. Just my .02
Do you have an Explorer Sport currently? No problems or concerns?
having driven and ridden in both, i'd go GC in a heartbeat if i didn't need the third row.
Definitely don't need the third row, but the bigger cargo area is a plus on the Explorer.
We got a 2017 explorer XLT with the little ecoboost. Its a blast to drive. I've never driven the Jeep GC, but Im sure its nice. The explorer has been great over this last winter. Snow driving was easy with the AWD. It seats our family of 5 very well. Two adults and three under 7. We put our younger boys in the middle row, and our 7yo daughter in the way back. We load her through the tailgate because its easier than trying to fold down the middle seats to get her back there. Mainly because we have car seats in the middle row. But other than that, its been great. No issues really. Gets great mpg, and feels quick when you want it. Our little ecoboost explorer is also a highway monster. For some reason when you roll on it from 60, it simply rockets to 100 with almost no effort. Its quite surprising. I can only imagine what the big ecoboost feels like with all that extra hp for activities.

I say get what makes your eyes happy. Both are great SUVs.
Thanks for the input!
Jeff...stop acting like money matters to a union guy like yourself. Buy the damn Explorer Sport, throw on a tune, and have a 13 second SUV.

It performs better, is safer, and looks better than the Jeep.

We've been nothing but happy with ours and have had no issues. Resale on the Explorer Sport seems to be pretty solid from what I've seen. I'd definitely recommend the bucket seats in the second row also.
What kind of mpg's are you getting?
I looked at both of these vehicles and it's a tough choice. I'd venture towards the Explorer as I am skeptical of FCA's quality. I liked the GC Overland that we test drove and the interior is very nice, but there's definite cost cutting in certain areas. The Explorer Sport is quicker, but in my opinion the chassis and brakes felt kind of numb. The Jeep has a more Germanic feel to it, which I am sure dates back to the Mercedes partnership.

Another option-If you don't need a third row, look at the Ford Edge Sport. It's a newer platform, has a nicer interior, and performs better.
Agree totally with you. I bought a Dakota RT new in 01 and a Grand Cherokee in 05. Both were complete piles of shit. I'm sure they've come a long way, but I'm still weary of Chrysler quality.

The Edge might be a touch smaller than I'd like, but yea I guess we should drive one. Anyone know what an Edge Sport can tow? I don't tow very much, but definitely need something capable of about 5k lbs or more
flex isn't an option OP?

Lol, wife saw one on the way there and called it a Ford rectangle. She's not a fan...

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
i dont really think the OP or the majority of the people buying these, care about that aspect.

14 second quarter mile times are plenty to get most wives/moms in trouble with the PO-lice easily enough. :rofl:

Right...but we're on a car forum where just about everyone has modified their cars/trucks. Probably safe on a car forum to say that aspect should be taken into account. Nothing majority about this place.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
solid guesstimate.

best looking one of this thread though, between the GC altitude, exploder & flex though, would go to the GC.

they are fucking awesome looking imo

f48c5f0f92444650fb7537228097b15f.jpg
That's the exact color and model we want. Looks amazing imo!
looks totally aside, i can't get around how small the explorer is inside for how big it is outside.

that's where i really feel the flex shines.
The Explorer felt a bit more roomy than the GC to me
hey [MENTION=6298]Jeffs FRC[/MENTION], ecoboost expedition is too big i'd assume?

47k sticker i feel like you can get pretty close to a pretty well equipped expedition.
Yea that's a bit large for what we need. I thought those were at least 60kish too?

They got the update on the grilles and lights front and back in 2016 I think. Ours is all LED everything and it looks awesome at night.
Yep the Sport has led lighting all around. Looks great
I mean...for ~$500 worth of tuning you're over 400 bhp and run 13's. For anyone who values quick cars/trucks and is open to slight mods...its really a no brainer.
I'm not sure it's real important to have a 13 second suv, but it definitely is a plus! Lol
They called me in for a survey where they had all the newer SUV's (debadged) and the new Explorer (also debadged). Got paid $250 to fill out surveys on SUV's for 2 hours.

Looked unreal and the interior was a full overhaul.

Wait, the new Explorer is coming out next year? Details!? Should I wait?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The Edge might be a touch smaller than I'd like, but yea I guess we should drive one. Anyone know what an Edge Sport can tow? I don't tow very much, but definitely need something capable of about 5k lbs or more

Edge Sport can tow 3,500, but Ford doesn't offer a factory hitch (aftermarket available)....So that doesn't work for you.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Jefe!!!!

Sport is a decent looking "car" for sure. The tow rating on the Sport is about 5,000LBS from what the interwebz shows.

They look big on the outside, but, feel very small inside. Not to mention, driving one feels like a large sedan, not an SUV. Suppose that is the suspension and such.

What are you looking to get out of an SUV?

Durango would be a great choice if you want something decently quick for such a large SUV with a high towing capacity and tons of interior room. Not sure what your price range is, though.

Expedition is another good option with the ecoboost in it.

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
I have the same jeep you are looking at but in black. Girlfriend has 14 explorer sport. I use mine for work and a daily and put a lot of miles on. Long term I think you'd be happier with the Ford. It's a little bigger, to me the Ford is a good amount quicker, and resale I believe is better on the Ford. I only went with the jeep cuz I got lifetime bumper to bumper warranty due to me driving 5k miles a month.

Also unless they changed it you could get an altitude in the limited trim if you wanted a hemi. About 10k more

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Jefe!!!!

Sport is a decent looking "car" for sure. The tow rating on the Sport is about 5,000LBS from what the interwebz shows.

They look big on the outside, but, feel very small inside. Not to mention, driving one feels like a large sedan, not an SUV. Suppose that is the suspension and such.

What are you looking to get out of an SUV?

Durango would be a great choice if you want something decently quick for such a large SUV with a high towing capacity and tons of interior room. Not sure what your price range is, though.

Expedition is another good option with the ecoboost in it.
Sup Chris! People keep saying the Exploder is small inside, but I swear it's more roomy than the GC. The Explorer rides much more like a smooth car and the Cherokee is definitely truck like. Pretty sure the Explorer is unibody and GC is body on frame so that would explain the difference in ride.

I have the same jeep you are looking at but in black. Girlfriend has 14 explorer sport. I use mine for work and a daily and put a lot of miles on. Long term I think you'd be happier with the Ford. It's a little bigger, to me the Ford is a good amount quicker, and resale I believe is better on the Ford. I only went with the jeep cuz I got lifetime bumper to bumper warranty due to me driving 5k miles a month.

Also unless they changed it you could get an altitude in the limited trim if you wanted a hemi. About 10k more
How has your GC and your girlfriends Explorer been as far as reliability?
You should get a honda ridgeline

Not cool man, not cool at all.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
If you need a third row, get the Explorer. If you don't, get the GC. More refined to drive, front legroom is better (if you need it) and it's less suffocating to drive (blind spots and general clutter of the front console that makes it [Explorer] feel small).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info