operation taco thursday

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
left my prior job and a lot of AI stock on the table (we'll see how painful this becomes) in part because they pulled back on the travel thing. i could understand making me leave thailand, but some options i proposed that seemed fair and some other efforts i made to retain myself were rejected, and i happened to get lucky enough to have a recruiter reach out from a company on a short list i'd actually consider leaving for, as well as one more interested in working with a remote situation. not without some additional effort by myself as well though.

all in quite a rush, my plan was to get to mexico by last thursday. if out of the country for 330 days there is a big tax deduction one can take. if i touch the US jan 1 2022 i'll have accrued 331 days. thus the reason for the rush. i also had to set some stuff up for the new job while in the US. final interviews and salary negotiations from my parents' basement while i was back. i'll be a 1099 contract employee where legal responsibility for taxation, among other things, is pushed onto me, and my brother moved to NV - so i took this opportunity to create a NV LLC as well as become a NV state resident and escape IL taxation. this was mostly online, involved some last minute appointments and luck to get bank accounts as well as an actual license application in and without any guff. i did not think that would actually happen, maybe so many people are moving to NV that it helped me slide through that process despite thinking i did not provide adequate documentation.

have been to vegas a few times for friend trips and work, never visited the dam before though.
npBrv01.jpg

4Rmg8ir.jpg

a shakshuka in vegas. i've had a craving for these since missing my place in thailand that made them. i've had 5 since leaving thailand and none have been as good, i've also had 7 different burgers now and none as good. miss my tiny island but perfect foodstuffs. if you have this with some keto bread / low carb/cal high protein (eggy) it's quite the solid healthy breakfast. this is the best iteration i've had lately (@neighborslv)
CO1LATb.jpg

my bro's luna cycles sur ron and a dirtbike
n5UN5BO.jpg

i'll throw in a progress pic of the ebike my buddy is creating
mkBpw8k.jpg

why mexico? never been here, knew it was easy to get in during covid (no quarantine), same timezone (giving myself a break there) as the US, can fairly easily stay for long amounts of time, also the area i planned to go to i thought had access to some things i'd like to do.

first place i grabbed to stay is like a coworking hostel. i've been exploring about today and haven't really met anyone yet, thought i might stay there long term but i have a ton of shit and want a larger space for it as well as a full kitchen i can be messier/have nicer stuff in. never thought i'd travel with so much goofy stuff, but i've got the most/heaviest luggage ever on my trips at this point. i have a ninja blender, random flours, smoothie bullshit, a car helmet and gloves, boxing gloves for muay thai, bouldering shoes and chalk, 3 phones, 2 laptops, 2 displays, etc. trying to find an apartment.

super heavy electronics bag and car helmet.
R6za1Os.jpg

aeromexico first class meal. was just a few bucks more since i was checking in 2 rather heavy bags. 4 hour flight, just like a US domestic first class trip experience would be.
gCS2VdP.jpg

my first night i walked to some kind of outdoor park/gym with calisthenics bros looking ripped in google maps pics. it was 12:30am on friday when i got there, and a bunch of guys were playing soccer, some on the equipment, and some chick with gloves was punching a tire 'bag' - then handed them off to another one to hit. lol pretty interesting to see. also a bit chilly, def could have used a light jacket. there is a taco guy literally outside the door of my place, i had 4 tacos and a pop for 47 pesos or $2.33. my tinder did not explode, my bumble, by 730am, had more hot chicks matched than my past 24 months in thailand/chicago/vegas put together. i haven't been able to swipe through my match queue since i don't pay for it, but it says there are 50 swipes right on me already apparently? so here's to hoping those aren't people looking to kidnap me for kidney harvesting.

tried to visit a muay thai place that looked promising today, looked closed. some coffee shops looked to be covid victims as well. the bouldering gym i went to had a pretty small wall/not sure the pic on google maps was even there, hmm... in any case, definitely still exploring for a place to stay around things i'd like to do.

diet has been shitty since eating my way through my last week of thailand and all the stuff on the way home, then at home with mom buying/making yummy things, just being in vegas a few days, and now i don't think i'll unpack/cook much over my 10 day hostel stay but there is a shared kitchen. totally understand IZZy IZZy saying if he was here all the time he'd get fat, because there are a ton of great looking places to try everywhere. big plus in that i shouldn't have to worry about not meeting 10k fitbit steps daily, as i'll just need to walk places anyway, but good to go exploring as well as to all the places i'll end up stuffing my facehole anyway. i'm at 24,342 steps right now at 8:40pm on my first full day. fitbit says that's about 3500 calories so i'll eat a bit more like a hungry fuck today. ok i didn't post this yesterday, went on to eat the burger and too much cauliflower thing below then go back home and pound down 10 more tacos anyway. unf need to get back on track. park and things i ate. 2 failed shakshuka attempts (both places took it off the menu) but i scored one this morning. they are supposed to be spicy, mine was sweet though. like they swapped whatever kick ingredient for sugar. not the way to go.

israeli place lunch when shakshuka plans failed
xdp3gsu.jpg

8wJ1x1I.jpg

a nice park, dudes playing soccer next to this thing in the area
J5uzOgR.jpg

uVW9QKF.jpg

my too sweet shakshuka at an arabic seeming place, after leaving the french one where they also no longer have it
CTFV6sY.jpg

burger cauliflower, i'm sure a regular fries would have been less calories
YpE7crd.jpg

had 6 tacos my first night and 10 the next. need to get these under control too. probably best if i try to only eat 1 corn tortilla on each as well
QKViyWx.jpg

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
left my prior job and a lot of AI stock on the table (we'll see how painful this becomes) in part because they pulled back on the travel thing. i could understand making me leave thailand, but some options i proposed that seemed fair and some other efforts i made to retain myself were rejected, and i happened to get lucky enough to have a recruiter reach out from a company on a short list i'd actually consider leaving for, as well as one more interested in working with a remote situation. not without some additional effort by myself as well though.

all in quite a rush, my plan was to get to mexico by last thursday. if out of the country for 330 days there is a big tax deduction one can take. if i touch the US jan 1 2022 i'll have accrued 331 days. thus the reason for the rush. i also had to set some stuff up for the new job while in the US. final interviews and salary negotiations from my parents' basement while i was back. i'll be a 1099 contract employee where legal responsibility for taxation, among other things, is pushed onto me, and my brother moved to NV - so i took this opportunity to create a NV LLC as well as become a NV state resident and escape IL taxation. this was mostly online, involved some last minute appointments and luck to get bank accounts as well as an actual license application in and without any guff. i did not think that would actually happen, maybe so many people are moving to NV that it helped me slide through that process despite thinking i did not provide adequate documentation.

have been to vegas a few times for friend trips and work, never visited the dam before though.
npBrv01.jpg

4Rmg8ir.jpg

a shakshuka in vegas. i've had a craving for these since missing my place in thailand that made them. i've had 5 since leaving thailand and none have been as good, i've also had 7 different burgers now and none as good. miss my tiny island but perfect foodstuffs. if you have this with some keto bread / low carb/cal high protein (eggy) it's quite the solid healthy breakfast. this is the best iteration i've had lately (@neighborslv)
CO1LATb.jpg

my bro's luna cycles sur ron and a dirtbike
n5UN5BO.jpg

i'll throw in a progress pic of the ebike my buddy is creating
mkBpw8k.jpg

why mexico? never been here, knew it was easy to get in during covid (no quarantine), same timezone (giving myself a break there) as the US, can fairly easily stay for long amounts of time, also the area i planned to go to i thought had access to some things i'd like to do.

first place i grabbed to stay is like a coworking hostel. i've been exploring about today and haven't really met anyone yet, thought i might stay there long term but i have a ton of shit and want a larger space for it as well as a full kitchen i can be messier/have nicer stuff in. never thought i'd travel with so much goofy stuff, but i've got the most/heaviest luggage ever on my trips at this point. i have a ninja blender, random flours, smoothie bullshit, a car helmet and gloves, boxing gloves for muay thai, bouldering shoes and chalk, 3 phones, 2 laptops, 2 displays, etc. trying to find an apartment.

super heavy electronics bag and car helmet.
R6za1Os.jpg

aeromexico first class meal. was just a few bucks more since i was checking in 2 rather heavy bags. 4 hour flight, just like a US domestic first class trip experience would be.
gCS2VdP.jpg

my first night i walked to some kind of outdoor park/gym with calisthenics bros looking ripped in google maps pics. it was 12:30am on friday when i got there, and a bunch of guys were playing soccer, some on the equipment, and some chick with gloves was punching a tire 'bag' - then handed them off to another one to hit. lol pretty interesting to see. also a bit chilly, def could have used a light jacket. there is a taco guy literally outside the door of my place, i had 4 tacos and a pop for 47 pesos or $2.33. my tinder did not explode, my bumble, by 730am, had more hot chicks matched than my past 24 months in thailand/chicago/vegas put together. i haven't been able to swipe through my match queue since i don't pay for it, but it says there are 50 swipes right on me already apparently? so here's to hoping those aren't people looking to kidnap me for kidney harvesting.

tried to visit a muay thai place that looked promising today, looked closed. some coffee shops looked to be covid victims as well. the bouldering gym i went to had a pretty small wall/not sure the pic on google maps was even there, hmm... in any case, definitely still exploring for a place to stay around things i'd like to do.

diet has been shitty since eating my way through my last week of thailand and all the stuff on the way home, then at home with mom buying/making yummy things, just being in vegas a few days, and now i don't think i'll unpack/cook much over my 10 day hostel stay but there is a shared kitchen. totally understand IZZy IZZy saying if he was here all the time he'd get fat, because there are a ton of great looking places to try everywhere. big plus in that i shouldn't have to worry about not meeting 10k fitbit steps daily, as i'll just need to walk places anyway, but good to go exploring as well as to all the places i'll end up stuffing my facehole anyway. i'm at 24,342 steps right now at 8:40pm on my first full day. fitbit says that's about 3500 calories so i'll eat a bit more like a hungry fuck today. ok i didn't post this yesterday, went on to eat the burger and too much cauliflower thing below then go back home and pound down 10 more tacos anyway. unf need to get back on track. park and things i ate. 2 failed shakshuka attempts (both places took it off the menu) but i scored one this morning. they are supposed to be spicy, mine was sweet though. like they swapped whatever kick ingredient for sugar. not the way to go.

israeli place lunch when shakshuka plans failed
xdp3gsu.jpg

8wJ1x1I.jpg

a nice park, dudes playing soccer next to this thing in the area
J5uzOgR.jpg

uVW9QKF.jpg

my too sweet shakshuka at an arabic seeming place, after leaving the french one where they also no longer have it
CTFV6sY.jpg

burger cauliflower, i'm sure a regular fries would have been less calories
YpE7crd.jpg

had 6 tacos my first night and 10 the next. need to get these under control too. probably best if i try to only eat 1 corn tortilla on each as well
QKViyWx.jpg

Great write up, thank you

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
What a cool life. Did you end up sticking with Mexico City?

Spanish is an easy language to learn, get to it! :) I’m jealous you get to spend several months there. I was pretty fluent by the end of college and brushed up once a year when we used to go annually, haven’t been in 3 years now and my vocab is pathetic now. Still got all the conjugations down tho

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i plan on improving my spanish, am a little surprised thus far that less people spoke english than i expected given the area i am in. i would rate my level as fumbling around trying to remember spanish 1 in high school.

i've been walking around condesa/roma which has a lot of expats (iirc more foreigners than mexicans) and very active expat facebook groups. super active, like most active i've ever seen. my actual stay is a little further north in juarez, which definitely has some higher crime stats. when walking around to a muay thai place that i found to be quite closed looking, on the way back i found some thicc latinas who appeared to be working the corners. there is another popular expat/tourist area here called polanco which seems to be the richest shopping area; to the right of it and above condesa/roma is where i'm hoping to find a place now (anzures) as i think there is an open muay thai place, plus it's easy to walk to walmart express. the latter of which is good for me getting weirder shit more easily like monk fruit, almond milk, 0% fage greek yogurt, etc. really specific stuff i want for cooking that i don't think i'll find in most markets. i'd like a short walk to muay thai, i don't mind the longer walks to go to restaurants, especially if i'm going to eat a fuckton anyway. harder to find a 6 mo or monthly furnished place as most agents want 1 year leases, airbnb is a shitty option as there is this expensive city tax now apparently, plus airbnb takes a cut, so it's less than ideal as one would pay hundreds extra monthly for nothing.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
looks like a neat ebike tour on airbnb from this area

bit rainy today. elevation is high, expected it to be cool but shorts/t-shirt at night would be chilly and much better off with pants/jacket. once stabilized with an apartment i'll make a plan to attack every kart track around here.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Polanco is neat all the rich people live there great neighborhoods badass malls, go to the soumaya Museum, it’s the weirdest looking museum I’ve been to.

my apartment hunting is rough, going to try some random whatsapp messages and see if anyone responds. some agents have responded to me after reaching out on inmuebles24 - but they are saying 1 year lease. i specifically looked for furnished apartments - seems a stretch that people looking for furnished would also typically be looking for 1 year commits? airbnb i'd like someone to confirm before i move in that they're cool doing an off airbnb transaction for months if i sign up and stay a week or month first. hopefully i find something cool/affordable soon.

5Mbx3pm.jpg

OUHLj7I.jpg

i'm thinking anzures might be a sweet spot? haven't looked harder on airbnb yet but it seems cheaper/in less demand, yet it's right by polanco and roma norte. was nice just walking around in now, still plenty of restaurants and all, yet the expat groups are full of polanco/roma/condesa posts. i am not sure why this area isn't hot either given it seems just as safe and is right here, my only theory was maybe it's maybe a longer walk to places, but what places? seems like it might work out perfect for me. saw that museum building in pics, will def check out when i have a weekend to start touring about. fyi there's a karting place like a block from that museum too.

just walked past little park with mother's monument
Wm5o37v.jpg

Fxq3NmZ.jpg

i found a 'healthy coffee shop' place that actually is pretty sweet as they seem to make all sorts of stuff that cater to various diets, in any case i got a waffle/turkey bacon/eggs thing and a donut with i think some low carb flour and probably artificial sweetener, pretty nice that i can just pop by somewhere and get this type of breakfast vs. a normal one or me cooking myself. i just bought some cooking stuff to use at the hostel/coworking space i'm at with a shared kitchen, it's kitchen is pretty deficient in a lot of stuff though.

pnidDqK.jpg

d54H7ck.jpg

I rode my bicycle every Sunday morning on that track as a kid, they open it up for everyone to ride around on the weekends.

ah that's pretty sweet, sounds like a good idea before i try a driving program to do this to learn the track! there seems to be some kind of decent sized bike/jog event going on this sunday morning on some streets, wondering if it's a today thing or a weekly thing.

Sucks to hear about Airbnb being so complicated and expensive it was only a matter of time before they started taxing that, just like any big city they dream about ways to tax everything.

thought it was worse (still sucks) but here's an airbnb fee listing from some random place on my list. also *fawking hate* how the airbnb map will show the $913 number when this place for a month will actually cost $1202. not like we are talking a small difference here. anyway you can see the $192 in taxes/fees alone which is largely some kind of city tax that is apparently new. the gap between map and bottom line is around $400 on other properties i'm looking at too. so dumb on da airbnb. also dumb would be anyone unwilling to just let me pay cash directly to them for months (pesos or usd) but i've had a couple turn me down on that. look how much airbnb and taxes are taking alone here, ignoring whatever cut the host is also losing to airbnb beyond this.

9ydmq1o.png

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
might have a solid lead with an airbnb conversion. it's in anzures and is close to an open muay thai place, plus some gyms, it is quite nice and is catering to a digital nomad/coworking type crowd. big shared work space, 6 nice bedrooms with bathrooms, big shared living space and kitchen (although no oven or air fryer, i'll buy the latter if they won't) - with cleaning once a week, 15,800 pesos or $778. can probably get this invoiced out as residence vs. coworking office so i can take a deduction too...

it is right by a gorgeous looking wework tho. looks like $280/mo hot desk. i'd claw back 10-15% of that in coffees though.

Lago-Alberto-375-09302019_132904.jpg

Lago-Alberto-375-09302019_134615.jpg

angel of independence tonight

TtCH2Rt.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
somewhat of a food fail recently; missing food on my tiny thai island because i had like the best shakshuka and burgers and smoothie bowls etc. there. since leaving i've had 6 shakshukas from vegas to mexico and i would only even order one of them again. i've had 10 burgers, cheaper to more upscale, and none have been impressive. so i'm wasting some calories and getting fatter pounding down a ton in something unimpressive, which i have done here too, then fairly frequently come home and do the taco stand in front of my place. i should just go to him for 5-10 tacos - what i've done is go out to eat somewhere, paid more, been kinda meh, then come back and eaten 5-10 tacos lol.

in any case, trying to be more choosey going forward. some mexican dishes seem like rehashes of others or not high on my list, others seem like things i should try and am looking for some of the best places to try them. thankfully a lot of solid places are around where i'm at, in a sea of a zillion other options, and i'm looking forward to trying some new stuff out. one place has tuna tostadas as well as an octopus dish and is supposed to be an amazing place for it. iirc the octopus is 880 mxn or $44 US and quite a hefty portion, not sure i have the patience to wait for someone to go with and split it vs. just go try it later this week/before i move (it's quite close to my current location). open to suggestions for things to try.

today i tried some of these tacos

at a place on one hand known for it, and on another not a ton apparently (15 reviews only on google)

i was surprised that the stalls on the street near it were so busy, and that it was not busy. perhaps it is the cost? these were 21 mxn each, the taco guy in front of my place does 5 (smaller) tacos for 35. in any case, these tacos were amazing, tastiest thing i've had here so far. looking forward at trying out some new best of the best stuff after doing some proper research.

3OsImGZ.jpg

VFzjzvo.jpg

on my list:

contramar - pulpo a las brasas , tuna tostadas
Fonda mi Lupita - enchiladas de pollo con mole
angelopolitano - chiles en nogada, mole de higo
El Pialadero de Guadalajara - carne en su jugo
Tacos Al Carbon 100% Carnivoro - tacos al carbon
los panchos - mole de olla
El Kioskito - carnitas
el hidalguense - barbacoa
El Fogoncito - al pastor, alambre

Reactions: Yaj Yak

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
for dinner i went to El Pialadero de Guadalajara, there was a couple there when i arrived, but i was shortly the only one there. maybe 7? can't believe how little traffic at this place and the lunch place given how tasty eerrryythang was. they are actually right by each other.

barbacoa taquito
iEfRKQD.jpeg

taco de marlin
fWrCHUq.jpeg

torta ahogada carnitas
GOdivlG.jpeg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
got to this page while googling the whistle... ended up being #2, and i certainly recognized #1...

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
so disappointed in my lunch today. supposed to be an awesome carnitas place. a bunch of the top google reviews were gushing over it. although 1-3 years old. i think things have changed. combo of tortilla soup, 2 carnitas tacos, 1 chicharron, 1 gordita.

V5iAbYO.jpg

looks good. never did chicharron before, really seems more like a texture thing than flavor. did not excite me. the carnitas tacos were just sad, the meat was quite flavorless. the sandwich above was a fuckton better. the gordita was good, although i never had one before so wasn't sure what to compare it to.

thankfully, my explore 1 new mexican 1 new burger place was a success today in the burger department, as i had the best once since thailand. their fries were super thin and the ketchup for them was like sweet heat delicious. the burger was super satisfying after a string of so many bad ones. and the server in there literally sold the cheesecake to every table. although i was the only fatty pounding it down solo. "Mike. You must try the cheesecake. Victor made it from scratch." ... oh, well, i don't want to let poor victor's hard work go to waste...

NrNttJ0.jpg

8q9GU1g.jpg

UinvmZX.jpg

i also walked past a totally different park on the way here, way further from me, to see 6 people just practicing boxing in there hitting pads, 2 seemed like trainers, 1 dude and 3 chicks throwing punches. so i guess you really don't want to piss off mexican girls.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
There is a burger place I went to on Calle Alvaro Obregón in la Roma called burger bar joint, I thought it was decent, it’s on the main strip you can’t miss it.

also try tacos al pastor from taqueria ObregĂłn, just a few blocks from the burger place.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
There is a burger place I went to on Calle Alvaro Obregón in la Roma called burger bar joint, I thought it was decent, it’s on the main strip you can’t miss it.

also try tacos al pastor from taqueria ObregĂłn, just a few blocks from the burger place.

my burger list has 41 places on it at this point :D burger bar joint is indeed on there to hit.

put the other place on my map, open to more suggestions!

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
meh. another not that exciting lunch. cataloging here in part so i just know not to try something again.

you can go read some google reviews here - https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...a56cb5!8m2!3d19.4254175!4d-99.1772392!9m1!1b1

so after yesterday's unimpressive carnitas tacos, i figured i would try here, as well as try this mole de olla soup. it is featured on their menu and comes up frequently in reviews. this place isn't cheap - that is 205 pesos. add on a way overpriced coke (55) and a 15% tip and we're at 300 mxn, although i think i paid more. in any case that is about $15. the burger above with cheesecake and all was nearly 500 mxn - but it was all great.

APfxc5t.jpg

the carnitas taco was better than yesterday but any hits of flavor were really coming from the stuff added to it. now i am stuck wondering if a simple street vendor is likely to have far better carnitas or if there's simply not much flavor to the meat cooked this way anyway. it is a stark contrast from the cochinita pibil pork - which is fucking awesome.

9kHl4cj.jpg

never had mole de olla before. wiki: Mole de olla is a Mexican traditional soup. It is made of xoconostle, squash, zucchini, green beans, corn, potato, chambarete and aguja meat, submerged into a broth of chile guajillo and chile pasilla, seasoned with garlic, onion, and epazote. It is served with pieces of chopped serrano pepper and lemon.

great so sounds interesting to try and look at all these positive reviews. how was it? pretty meh, i did not find the broth that flavorful, just kind of a beefy and slightly oil broth. my bowl seemed to be heavily skewed towards squash and zucchini, not sure i had any tater in there. i was hoping the broth would be a lot more flavorful with all this stuff but it was just boring. i would describe this as "unremarkable vegetable beef soup." did this place go downhill? is the dish simply not that interesting? is google full of bullshit? sad lunch is sad. hope to make it up with a solid burger tonight.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
stumbled into this place while waiting for burger joint #1 to open for me today. i think it's a chain? somehow it's not on google maps though.
y2Y6sDH.jpg

at burger joint #2 i was going to be good and not get any fries. but they had a side i had not heard of before, molletes. so many carbs today.
iMADZKr.jpg

passed a women's boxing club place today, was closed but the building outside looked cool. at walmart, seems appropriate
qkyHRj8.jpg

Reactions: IZZy

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
I think you might be eating at all the fancy pants tourist traps la Roma has to offer.

If you want the good carnitas a street vendor will be your best bet! But you probably won’t find it there, those guys are in places where you probably need a Mexican tour guide lol

in the mean time try these places, these were recommended by my good friend who spent the last 10 years living and working near la Roma:

7831769A-8FA2-429B-9D22-F66CC357D295.jpeg

EC233B85-2DBB-4B1D-8FBB-67D2E5BEFF66.jpeg

ECE0AD59-6913-479C-B308-956C85413C29.jpeg

F54B1EFE-0418-43FA-974A-D8FD4F332C14.jpeg

0C752CD0-D3B3-4BF5-980A-B06D9E5C3AF4.jpeg

Reactions: Shawn1112
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info