operation taco thursday

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Bro I think you are eating at all the fancy pants tourist traps la Roma has to offer.

If you want the good carnitas a street vendor will be your best bet! But you probably won’t find it there, those guys are in places where you probably need a Mexican tour guide lol

in the mean time try these places, these were recommended from my good friend who spent the last 10 years living and working near la Roma:

View attachment 98546

View attachment 98547

View attachment 98548

View attachment 98549

View attachment 98550

i'm in anzures now, first day. new place is cooler but location not nearly as nice, eg. i can't just go to 5 taco vendors in a minute now. in fact i can go to none. there are some very pricey and open quite late/24 hour places somewhat nearby, else i'm better off ordering tacos on uber eats... been walking all over and have intentionally walked far places (cuz eating so much) but even with some of the further ones plucked off my map, here's my current one of mexican/burger joints to try. this is probably 75% burger joints though.

JKU1OHw.png

i'm right next to a polanco la docena, but i actually already have the roma one on my map. not sure if there is a reason for that other than it is the further one from me. some places i go i have dishes in mind, not at this one though, any recommendations at any of these places?

my most recent mexican was pozole from la casa de tono
vS7h7vN.jpg

and a gringa al pastor from el fogoncito
4W9afxq.jpg

and set of tacos
oEFiAcz.jpg

may go to a food stand tomorrow for a fried quesadilla and pambazo, neither of which have i tried yet. (Quesadillas Zamora)
also want to try chiles en nogada (Angelopolitano) and enchiladas de pollo con mole (Fonda mi Lupita) this week.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
meh. another not that exciting lunch. cataloging here in part so i just know not to try something again.

you can go read some google reviews here - https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...a56cb5!8m2!3d19.4254175!4d-99.1772392!9m1!1b1

so after yesterday's unimpressive carnitas tacos, i figured i would try here, as well as try this mole de olla soup. it is featured on their menu and comes up frequently in reviews. this place isn't cheap - that is 205 pesos. add on a way overpriced coke (55) and a 15% tip and we're at 300 mxn, although i think i paid more. in any case that is about $15. the burger above with cheesecake and all was nearly 500 mxn - but it was all great.

APfxc5t.jpg

the carnitas taco was better than yesterday but any hits of flavor were really coming from the stuff added to it. now i am stuck wondering if a simple street vendor is likely to have far better carnitas or if there's simply not much flavor to the meat cooked this way anyway. it is a stark contrast from the cochinita pibil pork - which is fucking awesome.

9kHl4cj.jpg

never had mole de olla before. wiki: Mole de olla is a Mexican traditional soup. It is made of xoconostle, squash, zucchini, green beans, corn, potato, chambarete and aguja meat, submerged into a broth of chile guajillo and chile pasilla, seasoned with garlic, onion, and epazote. It is served with pieces of chopped serrano pepper and lemon.

great so sounds interesting to try and look at all these positive reviews. how was it? pretty meh, i did not find the broth that flavorful, just kind of a beefy and slightly oil broth. my bowl seemed to be heavily skewed towards squash and zucchini, not sure i had any tater in there. i was hoping the broth would be a lot more flavorful with all this stuff but it was just boring. i would describe this as "unremarkable vegetable beef soup." did this place go downhill? is the dish simply not that interesting? is google full of bullshit? sad lunch is sad. hope to make it up with a solid burger tonight.
In my experience and take it with a grain of salt as I have only been to a few authentic Mexican towns (meaning non tourists spots, "real Mexico")
But I have always found the street vendors to have the best tacos, and the little hole in the wall places had the best burgers.
Have you seen or tried any of the breakfast tortas yet? IIrc, they have ham, eggs, hot dogs and chorizo on them. (y)(y)
Place in Guanajuato that I was getting them from every morning was sold out by 9am every day lol
I think you might be eating at all the fancy pants tourist traps la Roma has to offer.
Judging by the pics he has been posting since he has been there. Those were my exact thoughts.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
In my experience and take it with a grain of salt as I have only been to a few authentic Mexican towns (meaning non tourists spots, "real Mexico")
But I have always found the street vendors to have the best tacos, and the little hole in the wall places had the best burgers.
Have you seen or tried any of the breakfast tortas yet? IIrc, they have ham, eggs, hot dogs and chorizo on them. (y)(y)
Place in Guanajuato that I was getting them from every morning was sold out by 9am every day lol

Judging by the pics he has been posting since he has been there. Those were my exact thoughts.

i'm most likely to actually make breakfast (protein pancakes) and a lot of the food seems more lunchy/dinner related to me still anyway (fried meaty things) so i have not done much in trying mexican breakfast.

i eat a lot and don't post everything. eg. the same days you see me post 1 or 2 different pics from places above, i've also often had 5 or 10 tacos and/or gringa etc, from stands. i get out of roma for sure (and don't stay there) but i do mostly walk, so no major other parts of the city. last places i ate were in juarez and san rafael. there is a well known burger stand which probably is the closest to hole in wall with a good burger here in mexico city - else random burger place is 99% more likely to result in something sad. as far as tacos, they've been fairly commoditized for me. more excited to try the non-taco mexican things at the moment.

Reactions: Shawn1112

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i was walking to try another cheeseburger, a common occurrence for me. i heard some new alarm and speech i had not before, cars seemed a bit more hurried, and i noticed as i walked down the block a new source of the same sound so it wasn't a popo or something else, there are a lot of interesting famous sounds of mexico here that you basically hear every day. i could not make out a single word of what was said, but thought hey they have quakes here, maybe it's a quake alarm... then i started seeing people come out of their houses into the street. it was dark and raining. i figured it must be a quake thing...

walked up to one guy and poorly asked what the alarm was for, then started feeling it. wasn't bad, but did see power go out multiple places. felt a bit like the ground was watery or i was on a not all that rocky boat. looks like it was decent sized but far away. i told the guy it was my first one. eventually he tried to sell me some polished rocks. i told him i use credit card for everything and didn't have any cash. i continued on to my burger place and wasn't sure when things would be "over" but had some time to walk anyway. a block away from my destination it seems the all clear was given and people started going back to their homes and work, and rest assured i got my cheeseburger. then i downloaded the skyalerts app. :D

Reactions: Z28Camaro

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'm averaging over 20k fitbit steps a day, but since all are to go eat, i'm not sure how health positive that really is. it's just helping me to get fat instead of super fat. my best burger in mexico city mission is still on full swing, i'm not sick of it yet, but will be happy once that is mission accomplished. it's not like the fried tasty mexican things i'm also eating are health food either. but i'll balance out a life and diet model after i figure out what i want to fit in it.

IZZy IZZy am i missing out on chiles en nogada? i haven't tried that one yet actually, but do see it also won't be around much longer.

d66c811e-bb4e-4a8b-89ae-d321c373e7f1-600.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I haven’t had chiles en Nogales actually now you got me thinking lol let me know how they are.

you are doing a good job staying in the nicer pretty areas, stay away from going east into colonia doctores bad things happen there lol

there's no cheeseburgers there lol. else i might, but only during the day and not with my laptop.

i see a fair amount of cops around, many just rolling with the lights on at night. that map is a pretty good indication of my full world travel areas, although i've gone a little bit further west and north from polanco, as well as ne into san rafael (for cheeseburgers, mainly)

how bad is doctores really? i've read online it's not a neighborhood to go into. i've never had a reason to go anywhere near it. i'll also say i haven't done a single step for tourist things yet, everything i've done is purely to scope out a place to live, to go to the gym, or to go eat. which is why i have yet to hit up centro too. i probably won't consider myself fully "settled in" for 2-3 more weeks, between life and work, after which i'll spend the weekends during more touristy things.

i'm about to try out a wework global access pass, as i think i can recover a lot of the discounted intro 3 month costs via coffee consumption and some extra gym access. some of them look super cool.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Doctores has a bad reputation for being dangerous even when I lived there 23 years ago, I would be a little scared to venture in there lol

you should try el zocalo it’s really nice there lots of tourists too, very busy lots of people walking around.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'd like to get google to show me my total walking area over days (or export out all the data and animate it) - not sure how to do more than just render a day on their platform though. in any case, a random typical day - where i just alternate between a coffee shop to work/eat at, then a cheeseburger place, then repeat, and eventually go home lol.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 4.53.59 PM.png

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
ate a bit of mexico today. came out fast. was expensive. 350. a place known for them was also 350 but had a line and ain't nobody got time for that. this was from a fonda, i expected the location to be smaller but was fairly big. the speed makes me wonder if it came from a fridge; it was warm-ish but some parts cold? apparently normally served warm-ish with room temp sauce? i dunno. my first one. was actually pretty good nonetheless. ate some mexican independence today.

PXL_20210918_210254114.jpg

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
ate a bit of mexico today. came out fast. was expensive. 350. a place known for them was also 350 but had a line and ain't nobody got time for that. this was from a fonda, i expected the location to be smaller but was fairly big. the speed makes me wonder if it came from a fridge; it was warm-ish but some parts cold? apparently normally served warm-ish with room temp sauce? i dunno. my first one. was actually pretty good nonetheless. ate some mexican independence today.

View attachment 100387

Are you making any female friends?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Are you making any female friends?

i am surprised in general how little english people seem to speak, not that i really go around expecting everyone to speak 'murican, but english is kinda the language of business and in most places in the world it's economically valuable. but between food and talking to girls on apps is where i practice most of my spanish. although haven't put too much effort into trying to meet anyone yet as i'm still settling in to a routine and a new job. muay thai has a fair amount of girls in it and one cute one and i chat one day, but have been in different classes since (i've also been a little lazy) we'll see how this goes. also about to sign up for a wework membership once the new month starts. i haven't met too many digital nomad chicks yet and/or met them with their boyfriends.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i think they are different routes? but have noticed different biking things going on sunday mornings, and my fat ass should probably get on this to help deal with the massive amount of cheeseburger calories i've been subjecting my body to.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
cheeseburger 2 was a failure tonight, got there at 8:10 and chick said take away only even though they close at 9. wtf.

happened to be on the same street as a mexican stand i wanted to try before - but looked for 3 separate times during their listed hours and they were not there. well, today they happened to be down the street. so i went, and tried my first pambazo and a fried cheese and chicken quesadilla. the pambazo was the tastier one.

PXL_20210921_012625596.jpeg

PXL_20210921_013207404.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
the pambazo was good and definitely outperformed many a cheeseburger - and was certainly cheaper. shit, both of these were 60 pesos. better than many 200 peso burgers i've had.

best burger value is probably soriana grocery store food court at miyana mall. punching above its weight for the cost, easily.

i figure i'm 10 days away from trying to return to eating like a normal human being.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info