Ooni Pizza Oven

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Wife got me an Ooni Koda 16 gas pizza oven for my b-day earlier this year. It was back ordered for a few months and we finally got it last week. Picked up a table for it and made some pizzas last night finally.

took some getting used to the hot spots in the oven. There were a few burnt and undercooked pizzas but by the last pizza I think I was starting to get a hang of it and this one came out perfect.

9687DED1-6C61-4DA5-90F0-6F2BF9527D98.jpeg

F9993CBA-515C-4583-8AF8-8A18116CD2A1.jpeg

A7BBB910-7BFA-4640-A256-C3388DA98C75.jpeg

E65D2886-CBBD-4D7D-9670-6297988FA532.jpeg

E66ECEEE-2914-494B-A1BF-C29E8C36B8D4.jpeg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
[emoji106] Ive got an Ooni Karu. Zero complaints. Makes amazing pizza. Not cheaply made in anyway. Very well insulated and even the wood tray (karu only) is made of stainless. It is kind of a one trick pony, but makes such good pizzas and doesn't take much space its hardly a complaint.

Small things ive learned:

Wooden pizza peel with flour is way way less sticky than metal one. I use metal pizza peel strictly for rotating during cooking and to pull a cooked pie out. Wooden one is strictly for raw pies.

Best tasting pizzas for us have been around 650 degrees on the stone (and a lot of flames over top. Fresh block of wood fed into the fire. Karu burns wood pieces). Hotter the stone, the easier it burns and better likelyhood of being undercooked somewhere IMO. 650 degrees gets the leopard pattern on the bottom and crust.

Also, strictly "00" flour makes very very airy pizza. Too much in my experience. I like 50/50 with double zero and all purpose. I think Rachel Ray's recipe is what i have saved and normally go with. But honestly just AP flour makes good pizzas. Rest time for the dough is more important than using double zero or whatever. I do atleast 2 days in the fridge. And allow to come to room temp for couple hours. Room temp dough. And seperate balls too.

Disregard if you already know, i learned these things the hard way.

Might be heresy, but i really like Muenster cheese on it with mozzarella and parm pecarino romano. Its really melty and gooey.

Yours looks nice. Great looking pies too! Ive burnt quite a lot of them when first starting too, they cook so fast. We use ours atleast once every 2 weeks. Ive cooked for a few people and i know of atleast 2 that bought one the next day.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
We got my dad one of their wood pellet fueled units a few years ago for fathers day.
It's been fantastic and makes a killer pizza.
We have used cornmeal on parchment paper and the peel and it seems to work much better to slip into the oven and turn.

Reactions: blue-sun

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Why do I click into threads like this? I already have too many cooking utensils. ?

I literally have to get rid of something if I want to add something new. I had to put my convection cooker in my home office closet to make room for some frying pans.

BTW, Nice cart!

LOL, thanks!

For the cart - we ordered a generic one off Amazon. IT came in and the dimensions were way off from what we thought we ordered, so it's being returned. I hoped on Craigslist and found that Stainless steel IKEA cart for cheaper than the generic one. The Ooni Stainless table is like $300 and it's backordered.

I drove 3 hours round trip from Yorkville to near Evanston to pick it up yesterday. It was relatively clean, just had some rust stains on it (ha, stainless steel eh?) but some Bar Keeprers Friend, some #0000 Steele wool and a few minutes of elbow grease and it cleaned up like new!

We have an older 2 burner Weber Grill on the other side of the patio. My plan is to buy or build an outdoor kitchen station and have the grill and Ooni next to each other, maybe sharing a propane tank. Something like this, but that will be a project for next year I think.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Just made some Filet Minion via SousVide and then I finished it in the Ooni. 2 things. I need better outdoor kitchen counter space in order to properly do this and not need an extra set of hands. And to protect those hands, I need some BBQ grill high heat gloves. The sear on these was amazing. By far the best sousvide filets that we’ve made at home ever. Got the meat at Reems in Elburn and just some salt and seasoning salt on them. Delicious.

32A45966-5B64-4A49-A9CE-5EE4FC194ECB.jpeg

2D7EA659-407E-4EFB-AE11-3D5EAC3614A7.jpeg

D558A95F-3F2B-4C93-9722-86E69BB96B2C.jpeg

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I have yet to make another pizza since that first batch, partially because we're doing Keto again and it's hard to justify the carbs just yet. But we did have filets again last night and I finished them in the Ooni again and damn that crust was TASTY. This time for my steak, I attempted to duplicate the best steak I've ever had, a pepper crusted filet from Gibson's. I have a pepper mill and I course ground a bunch of pepper and coated both sides of the cooked steak in it.

It was delicious, but not as good as the Gibson's, but still very, very good.

Reactions: Aircal and BillyBru
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info