One neat trick to totaling your exotic car (number 4 is like woah!)

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Damn. Even hearing this I would still love to own an i8. But even the oldest highest mileage ones are still out of my poverty pay grade :ROFLMAO:

Also I do have to drive over some decent sized speed humps going into and leaving work every day.... but my M235i is lowered and I haven't totaled that yet. I do have to crawl over them tho. But I can still drive straight over, I don't have to angle my car and take up 2 lanes and drive over them sideways at .5mph like all those hip StAnCe BrOs

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
My friend has a guy that does carbon repair locally somewhere in the area. Their race cars have carbon bodies and floor tunnels. They get beat up quite a bit. Just need to find a guy out in Cali that supports higher end race cars and they probably have a ā€œguyā€ too.
Iā€™ve sent plenty of people to a guy that works at Lockheed Martin and does carbon repairs out of his garage.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Hagerty says they'll sell it back to me. California has no law preventing me from buying it back. If they paid me out and sold it back to me between 25 - 35k I'd be on that deal all day long.

yeah i didn't think the insurance company would care- i just wasn't sure if california had any laws- like in IL you can't buy back something newer than 9 years iirc.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Well, there is the inspection afterwards on a salvage title. I guess that depends on who is inspecting it. Cause they might just go by the book and say that whole bonded section needs to be replaced.

I suppose if you have time and space, you can do all the disassembly yourself, and just give it to someone certified to replace that section, then re-assemble yourself.

id be amazed if "they" were able to find it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Totals car > gets paid out > buys car back > fixes car for some amount of money > car is fixed with a rebuilt title?

I mean if you love the car so much M Mike K....

BTW I looked over a 2017 NSX for my BiL, he ended up getting it. Cool car.

in IL i think you'd still have a clean title in your hand, but the car would have salvage history if you were to look up the vin.

i think to get a rebuilt title you have to apply for it.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
E72EC3EB-F4E7-44FF-9054-5171C4BE48E1.jpeg

Reactions: IDAFC21

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I went to look at the car at BMW today. The mechanic and I went over it and boy am I torn. The picture they sent me that I thought was the crack looked like a tab had been punched in the tub. In reality, it was a scrape in the tub and totally superficial. It was the other side that was the issue but even that doesn't look bad. The edge of a lip was chipped. The resin in this area is thicker and a chunk broke off. It's not really a crack. More like a chunk of resin missing. There is no crack. And I asked the mechanic what he thought. He jokingly covered the BMW badge on his shirt and said if it was his he'd drive it and not worry about it. I have to say, I'm inclined to feel the same way. BMW's official fix requires an ENTIRE TUB because the floor panel is not separately replaceable. And literally everything on the car is attached to the tub. Everything. I don't think there's a single part of the car that wouldn't come off and be put back.

But then he gets into BMW's technical specifications and they say if there are any exposed fibers (there are) the panel needs to be replaced. And he said, even if there were no exposed fibers, if the damage is over .2 inches (It's .29) the panel needs to be replaced. And if the damage is greater than 10mm in length (it is) it needs to be replaced. I get why they need to be so stringent but in reality I can't imagine this has any impact on the vehicle whatsoever.

I'm torn because this will show in inspection if/ when someone buys the car from me and it will negatively affect the value of the car. And it is accident damage and this is why we have insurance. But the other half of me knows full well it's going to be totaled, that I'm going to buy it back and experience a financial windfall and my fix will be to have someone fill the area with resin at a minimal cost. It's just this weird spot to be in. I don't want to abuse insurance for something that seems so petty but technically it's damaged to the point of needing replacement, even if common sense says it will still last forever as is.

Picture of damage in next post.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'd research the prices for those cars, national search, and then be prepared to negotiate or accept a fair number from insurance.

I notice a wide variance in prices for those, are there different trim levels?
There are but they're appearance only. I think the only real option is laser lights. The beauty of Hagerty insurance is there's no negotiating. I have agreed value insurance of $80,000. So if they total it that's what they pay me. Even if 10 had sold last week for $50,000 they'd pay me $80,000. Collector car insurance is the bees knees. The variable I would need to watch out for is their buy-back price on the car. I'm not sure if that's a set price or not.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I will say I don't know that it would be a stigma to have one of these with a salvage title if it totals that easy in the long run. I mean eventually they'll ALL be totaled if it was that easy, if not they'll still have the wounds and just not the papers saying they were totaled.
I guess it's not that easy. Even people in the i8 community are like WTF to my damage. And the thing is, I could have gone a long time or even sold the car without having ever noticed it. Let's say five years elapses and I've sold the car. I just happened to *luck* out that BMW noticed this, reported it to me and corroborated the damage with Hagerty.
Mike can you title, plate and get insurance for a salvage title car in your location?
I can! I had an e39 M5 that was salvage and the title process was painless.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info