One man's tale of a LS1 turbo build

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
First thing's first. This thread is going to be about my build, the challenges I ran into, the decisions I had to make, the people that helped me out along the way and in the end, the results this car brings.

Most anyone that has seen my car grow over the past year knows I'm not real good at covering up my builds. So most folks will most likely have seen this build thread coming for awhile.

Do not come into this thread giving me a hard time. I'm a turbo noob. I am in no way denying this. Have some respect and understand that I'm learning. I'm also going to post right up front that I reserve the right to clean up this thread as I please, so that's up front as well.

Hopefully the good people of TCG will enjoy observing this project as it unfolds. So sit back and get ready for a build thread like none other. I'll start posting tonight.

TABLE OF CONTENTS / SHORTCUTS TO PICS (clicky):
Tear down pics
Boost controller discussion start
Trimming the stock K member to clear the crossover
Bench testing my wiring on the gauges installed in the pillar
Timing cover modifications & tapping the oil block off for the turbo oil feed line
Checking lifter preload and timing cover with -10 installed
Fuel system install
Nearly done!
Sitting in the driveway... :pedobear:
Initial dyno results, dyno'd @ Dean's Performance in St. Charles by Fast Motorsports

Specs on the new parts as I find them!

Tial 50.5mm BOV
Tial 44mm WG
Precision 78HPSH turbo, compressor is a .75 AR, turbine 1.52 AR, T4 flange
AEM tru-boost controller
HPTuners 3bar OS w/GM 3bar MAF
Nasty Performance stage 3 fuel system
  • 80lb injectors
  • dual walbro intank pumps
  • -8 feed / -6 return
  • Magnafuel -8 filter
  • Magnafuel boost referenced FPR
  • Aeroquip fittings
  • Billet fuel rails
GM 317 heads (71cc CCs)
Stock 2002 WS6 camshaft
Forged -4cc Mahle pistons
Forged JE rods
6.0L manifolds

Last edited:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
First some pics to open:

ry@n, Greasy, Bru and I went to town on the car last weekend. Stripped everything off of it that I sold in order to help fund this project. Here's a few pics of the car with most of the tear down completed:

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

I'm going with ARP studs for the heads on this build. Just dropped the heads on for test fitting the 6.0L truck manifolds. I've been told there is a section of the K member that had to be "shaved"... I'd call it a bit more than shaving. It's going to have to have a triangled shape cut out of the frame, then a piece welded back in place to ensure that the structure isn't totally compromised. The 3rd stud was removed, because it would have been about 1/2" into the K-member for the manifold to bolt flat against the heads.

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

That being said, here's the 6.0L truck heads (317 castings) placed on the motor along with the manifolds in place:

DSC_0055.JPG

The parts table as it sits now, holding most of the new parts awaiting install:

DSC_0059.JPG

And lastly, the new wheels I picked up to put some of this power to the ground. Bogart D-10's wrapped in MT ET Drags in 28x10.5x15 flavor.

DSC_0061.JPG

The fronts are there too, but do not have rubber installed yet. I'm also keeping the stock WS6 wheels for around town. Should be fun to try to drive the car on Nittos. :rofl:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
this gonna be done by track day? turbo and spray?

Turbo for now. I still have another kit laying around if I wanted to spray it later. Done by track day... that's the plan! It should be running by then, hopefully well enough to make a couple shake down passes.

I thought you were gonna keep it under wraps? Good luck with the build though...

Yea, well... that never lasts long with me. Should be fun to document the build out here!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Here's the summary of the build I posted on another site:

I'm going turbo on my 02 Trans Am WS6 after being a nitrous car for 2 years. Dyno'd 562WHP/599WTQ on a 200 shot at the end of the year. It was good, but I guess not good enough. Yall know how that is I'm sure. Cheers!

I found a used kit (w/a Precision 78) locally for a price I couldn't pass up and that's where this all began. The kit included the 78HPSH turbo, Tial 50mm BOV and wastegate w/a 17lb spring installed, manifolds, hot side piping w/T4 flange, v-band'd 3.75" dp to a bullet muffler w/a dump somewhere under the passenger's seat, a large-ish air to air intercooler and all the piping to/from the intercooler and connections.

After selling off a bunch of the parts on the car that aren't really turbo friendly, here's the list of stuff I'm looking to do:

1. 80lb injectors, a DIY dual intank fuel pump setup w/dual hotwire kits, after market rails and conversion to a return style system
2. GM 317 head castings (for the 71cc) w/dual .650 springs
3. new turbo cam... no idea on specs yet (something I need help with right here)
4. fuel press, oil press, wideband and boost gauges

All this will be going onto a stock displacement LS1 w/stock crank, fordged JE rods and forged mahle -4cc pistons. Plan is to run the 6.0L 0.054" head gaskets, and the 317s 71cc combustion chambers for a SCR of ~9.2:1.

I'd like to see ~800WHP out of this setup all said and done. Oohyah!

Unfortunately, I've already learned that the DIY fuel system isn't going to fly, so I'm working with Nasty Performance in LITH to build a system that will support my goals with this setup.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Awesome. So I assume the kit you bought is specifically for those manifolds? Do they flow well?

Yes, the kit was previously installed on a firehawk. I talked in depth with Precision about the kit and its components. They feel fairly certain that my target WHP should be well within reach. :bigthumb:

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Yea, well... that never lasts long with me. Should be fun to document the build out here!

Understandable, most on here aren't secretive anyways.... just curious why you need the manifold that curves into the Body, and cannot fab up one that ends on a different angle, I sure something similar to a 3800's power log could be made for the LS1

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Fuel system specs:
Header8.png
NASTYPERFORMANCE.COM said:
Stage 3 Street kit-1100hp (900-1000rwhp)

* 2 Walbro 340 intank fuel pump
* Walbro fuel pump install kit
* NastyPerformance hotwire kit
* NastyPerformance Billet fuel rails
* MagnaFuel billet fuel pressure regulator w/boost ref.
* MagnaFuel billet stainless steel fuel filter
* Aeroquip -8 braided stainless feed fuel line
* Aeroquip -6 braided stainless return fuel line
* Aeroquip fittings and misc parts to complete install

I'm also going with a hobb switch to activate the secondary intank pump. This is really the mother of all fuel systems.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Understandable, most on here aren't secretive anyways.... just curious why you need the manifold that curves into the Body, and cannot fab up one that ends on a different angle, I sure something similar to a 3800's power log could be made for the LS1

I think the answer to that is $$$$. Everything comes at a price. Plenty of turbo LS1 builds have been built using the 6.0L truck manifolds. They are not prone to leaking and do the job without breaking the bank.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
I think the answer to that is $$$$. Everything comes at a price. Plenty of turbo LS1 builds have been built using the 6.0L truck manifolds. They are not prone to leaking and do the job without breaking the bank.

Ah, ok.... And cast seems more desirable than tubular with Turbo's it seems

Nice, that'll make for an easy install, and a clean setup

With 80lb injectors, you probably only need a -4an return hose

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
With 80lb injectors, you probably only need a -4an return hose

My understanding is that the larger return line is to keep the friction down in the return flow, thus reducing the heating effect. I'm guessing the engine bay is going to be hot enough as it is... I'm following the suggested sizes based on my target power levels. :D

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
My understanding is that the larger return line is to keep the friction down in the return flow, thus reducing the heating effect. I'm guessing the engine bay is going to be hot enough as it is... I'm following the suggested sizes based on my target power levels. :D

I should have put a smiley after it, It was a little sarcastic, I have equal sized feed and return, you want a little more flow in your return line than needed, so then the pressure regulator bleeds off pressure it always has some where to go(like when you let off, and there is a surge of fuel from the injectors not opening as long).... And yes with the turbo, you will have plenty of under hood heat, lots of people seem to have good luck with the turbo blankets

Thread Info