Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Movie debuted at Cannes and reviews are hitting the web.

https://www.slashfilm.com/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-review/

Time will tell whether general audiences believe the film commemorates or exploits the horrors of 1969 and its victims, but when the film is at it’s best, it’s powered by both of these impulses. This is damning of the mythmaking industry as much as it’s a love letter to Tate and her friends. The film frames her with such delicacy and sensitivity that it’s hard not to feel the sense of her loss.

Once Upon A Time…in Hollywood is a beautiful, brash rumination on the grime and beauty that Hollywood both represents and the real world effects of its mythmaking. The film is a dirty, sensually realized feat with many shots of (you guessed it) sensualized feet. Time will tell whether this is Tarantino’s greatest work, but it incorporates so much of what made this brash filmmaker provocative, great, obnoxious and brilliant that it’s hard not to be overwhelmed. Detractors will pick it apart as indulgent and maddening, and even fans may feel overwhelmed. Yet there’s a depth to the humanity at display here, in terms of the storyline of an aging actor, an aging industry, and an aging director, all culminating in a modern myth that’s ridiculous, profound, silly and sublime.

/Film Rating: 9.5 out of 10

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
It was enjoyable the whole way through, pretty much. I've only seen it the one time, but it's definitely not my favorite QT film. One of his worst. I put it right about Jackie Brown. Good movie though.

giphy.gif

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I think Jackie Brown is one of Tarantino's best movies. It's brilliant.

I agree this movie is in the Jackie Brown style.

Mild spoilers follow:

A whole bunch of events leading up to a climax similar to Jackie Brown.

I was stunned at the end.

Maybe it's because I was around when the Sharon Tate murders happened. TV and newpapers covered it big time. That gives me a different perspective on this movie than you younger guys may have. I suggest reading/watching about the horrific event before watching this movie. It will let you see what Tarantino did.

And... She said she was 18...

Thread Info