ON3 Turbo Kit Feedback/Experiences

rowekmr

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
Hello I got a 96 Cobra that is mainly stock except H pipe/flowmasters and am looking at power adders. While I first was stuck between a KB or Vortech I found the ON3 kits are cheaper. I know in the past they had fitment issues but how are the current kits? This is for a street car that will be a summer car.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=133]Angus[/MENTION]

Angus

Reaction score
I had one of their kits for my 04 GT. You get what you pay for and for a cheap turbo kit, it still made me wish I had gone with a supercharger or paid up for a hellion kit.

Fitment was terrible. I had to have a fabricator tear most of it apart and cut/weld pipes and fittings to get it to fit decently. After paying for that and some other issues, the kit ended up costing me a whole lot more in the end. Probably close to a Hellion kit, but it was still an On3 kit...

They may have changed since then ('10 IIRC..) so I can't testify to that.

Also, my motor chunked a piston at the track, but I don't know how a 96 cobras internals are vs. a stock 2v.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
Paxton/Novi seems to be the winner for $ per hp on most modular motors to my understanding.

I want a roots-type TVS for my Coyote because of the sound if nothing else. There are a lot of roots blower choices for Coyotes, dunno if 2 valves have the same selection or not. (Roush, FRPP, KB, Maggie, edlebrock even I think)

TCG Member 5219

Reaction score
From what coyote people are saying, the current kits fitment are much better. They are still using cheap clamps, turbos and wastegate tho. But atleast the install will be straight forward with little to no modification. And there are plenty 0n3 cars out there running big power and times. And if you upgrade the wastegate and turbos, you got yourself a nice kit for a lot less than hellion.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
I was looking at 3v kits and there doesn't really seem to be a consensus on whether or not they suck.

Formula_LS1

Reaction score
A buddy of mine did the On3 kit on his otherwise stock 2V. Kit fit pretty well and he stayed with the turbo they provided (MP70) I think. The car is on real low boost to keep it safe, but overall he's very happy with it, and the setup works pretty well

grkcobra93

Reaction score
Was in the same boat as deciding on the on3 or hellion and decided to rack up a credit card for the hellion

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few of their older kits. I know [MENTION=6493]splytsecond[/MENTION] had a lot of issues with his 2v kit. It wasn't on the car that long before he was tired of dealing with issues and put a TVS on the car instead.

The kits have blown though the hot side. They will replace the pipes sometimes. But not free of charge no matter what warranty they imply. The hardware, clamps, wastegate and BOV should be upgraded at a minimum. The turbos they use are not that bad. But upgrading that might be a good idea as well. Then you are still dealing with Chad and his employees. I have heard of parts missing and they basically told the customer to get their own parts.

I know the 2011-14 Mustang GT kits shipped and the one turbo would not bolt up. It hit something before it reached the flange. They decided to make little wedges to fill the gap. Which is one more potential place for a leak. It just goes to show you they have issues with production and testing of production runs.

If you buy a kit please budget an additional 40% of the kit cost for reworking, fabrication or parts purchases. But at that point it isn't much of a deal. lol Spend a little more money up front for a good proven kit and save yourself a whole lot of money, stress and aggravation later.

Reaction score
I've heard they've gotten better since the kit I used but still nothing great.

If I were to go turbo these days I'd look into a cg fabrication kit and

03GTGreen

Cobra Brigade Presidente
Reaction score
^This, and a used Borg Warner or Precision Turbo

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom