On Topic: Is Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Doomed?

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
I think you may have mis-read that, I was agreeing that its what they are doing to keep in buisness, I didn't say it was wrong.

My main concern with Chrysler is that not a single car meets those new cafe regulations and only 1 is even close (caliber *sp*) and they are going to have to spend more money than they have to research new technologies and new cars to reach the new cafe standards, and IIRC they are one of the only major auto manufacturers to not offer any form of hybrid yet which is really going to hurt them as well. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of or ever seen a Chrysler/dodge/jeep hybrid)

I thought I heard somewhere that they were looking to outsource their R&D for hybrids...

I'll do some research...

But I too agree chrysler is in some serious trouble, especially with the way GM is making cars these days.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm not hear to BASH Chrysler (much) I know a number of people I know who work for them and are at risk of loosing their jobs, and they make some pretty sweet cars, and its part of this country really so I hope they don't go down in flames, but there is alot that could have done differently.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
IMO, they need to improve their product quality and offer important safety equipment like side and side curtain airbags as standard -- instead of Nav systems (see latest Jeep commercials), which are only included on the top trim levels anyways.

I don't have anything against Chrysler, but their products are weak compared to other automakers. I like Chrysler's interior design, but the quality is junk. Molded interior panels have frays and wide gaps straight from the factory floor. Squeaks, rattles and vibrations plague a lot of their products, too. It's sad, really.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
IMO, they need to improve their product quality and offer important safety equipment like side and side curtain airbags as standard -- instead of Nav systems (see latest Jeep commercials), which are only included on the top trim levels anyways.

I don't have anything against Chrysler, but their products are weak compared to other automakers. I like Chrysler's interior design, but the quality is junk. Molded interior panels have frays and wide gaps straight from the factory floor. Squeaks, rattles and vibrations plague a lot of their products, too. It's sad, really.

I noticed a commercial recently for the charger advertising a 'free upgrade' like that jeep with the navi commercial, but its a 'free upgrade to the 3.5l V-6'

I had NO idea that the base charger came standard with the 2.7 V-6 until I saw that!!!!!! Is that even enough torque to reach 60mph in a car that big?

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
What the Big 3 need to do is make all their engines direct-injection. Though in know that would cost a lot of money to do, but its a great start to getting better gas mileage. If you can better control the spray, how it sprays and where it sprays, then you can use less fuel. I think it might also mean the end of the pushrod motor, DOD and variable valve timing can only go so far on the cam-in-blocks. Though if you can convert them to Direct-Injection, more power to Chrysler and Chevy.

I hate to see any Make go under but companies might want to scale down. Get rid of the copies.
Ford: Ditch Mercury or Lincoln (why buy a over pirced fusion or taurus? Lincoln should be like cadillac and have distinct vehicles and chassis with some shared components), Sell Volvo, Jag and Land Rover
GM: Sell Saab, Get rid of Buick, Saturn, Daewoo and GMC

Do we really need Aura's AND Malibus? Or Sables AND Taurus? Get rid of the dead weight and copies that put Plymouth and Oldsmobile under.

Just my opinion, i'm no financial expert. I just like putting my 2cents in.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Ford: Ditch Mercury or Lincoln (why buy a over pirced fusion or taurus? Lincoln should be like cadillac and have distinct vehicles and chassis with some shared components), Sell Volvo, Jag and Land Rover

Take no offense to this, just informing you:

Ford is planning on getting rid of Mercury, Sales suck, and the time has come

They are keeping lincoln, they need their luxor branch

There are talks about selling Volvo, but there are also MORE talks of merging platforms further *S80 is already IIRC a taurus platform, S40 is a Mazda3/Focus, the S60 IIRC is a Fusion/Mazda6 and they plan to Drop the XC90 because its the only vehicle on that platform* so why dump Volvo? The S80 is just a glorified Taurus and no one can tell so can sell it for twice the price and offer a V-8 and say its safe?

And Jag and Landrover WERE sold, they now belong to Tata.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/20/report-tata-motors-confirmed-to-buy-jaguar-land-rover/

Last edited:

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
I think you may have mis-read that, I was agreeing that its what they are doing to keep in buisness, I didn't say it was wrong.

My main concern with Chrysler is that not a single car meets those new cafe regulations and only 1 is even close (caliber *sp*) and they are going to have to spend more money than they have to research new technologies and new cars to reach the new cafe standards, and IIRC they are one of the only major auto manufacturers to not offer any form of hybrid yet which is really going to hurt them as well. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of or ever seen a Chrysler/dodge/jeep hybrid)

the technology has been there for a while, some that are ready for production mode, they just wont implement them till they are required to do so.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango hybrids will be available in 2009.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/06/aspen-hybrid.html

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
It would help if Chrysler wouldn't have been stupid and have a sort of Just In Time inventory situation(meaning....no big quantity of parts/supplies on hand). Since their #1 plastics supplier bit the dust, they didn't have any inventory and now they're partially fucked.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I must have been reading an old article where they were thinking of selling jag and land rover. I dont know why anyone wants to buy jag, whoever buys them never makes any money off the deal till they sell them.

Edited for me being wrong

LAND ROVER has been making a profit for years, Jag is always loosing money :(

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Chrylers reliability is awful. I'm just so glad Mitsu got away from them. Mitsubishi was almost bankrupt, too; but when they split with Chrylser, they've been having record profits.

Hmm? Say much?

No offense again, but Mitsu and chrysler still share a large number of motors an platforms, the raider is just a dakota, the 3.8 in the Mitsu was origonally in the Dakota as well IIRC, the 2.4 in the Calibure, patriot, compass etc, as well as the new Lancer and eclipse was a 'co development'

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
s80 = taurus??

lmao

twin turbo taurus?

Ford's D3 platform is slightly different from Volvo's original P2. For example, D3 features steel suspension arms, rather than aluminum, and other material cost-saving measures. Ford's current D3 vehicles are built at the Chicago Assembly plant in Chicago, Illinois.
Past vehicles to use this platform include the following:
Vehicles currently using this platform include the following:
Confirmed future vehicles using this platform include the following:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info