• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

On the topic of Racism

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I will preface this by saying TCG has thrived and gone on for as long as it has partly b/c of the extremely laxed rules we have on here. We pretty much let you guys say and do what you want, with rare instances of reigning you guys in. With that said, a few points...

In todays climate, you cant go an hour without a murder, something about terrorism, a political view, etc etc...and these types of topics can evoke real and raw emotion from many of you. For the most part, I allow you guys to speak openly about those feelings...unfortunately, that hands off approach has resulted in words and phrases flying around a bit too freely. I'm not going to cite instances, or give examples, but you guys all know the types of things I'm referring to.

I will continue to allow the site to self moderate and only step in when absolutely needed, but I want to ask this from you guys: Please think before you type. Try and tone down the overly racists posts and snide comments. I appreciate it and the community will appreciate it.

I dont think anyone wants the site to be run with an iron fist and on lockdown like most of the national forums.

-Mook

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Just so we're clear. Is this legit racism being posted, or is this in regards to things like the meme I posted of Trump wondering how there were no Mexicans in Israel?

I would hope everyone would understand that is in jest, but if there are people legitimately offended by that kind of stuff, I'll happily refrain.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Its a combo of both, more so words being posted rather than silly pics. Again, I'm not going to start posting examples or calling certain instances out...just asking for ALL of us to be more mindful going forward.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Pretty sure Jim is gone for good.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
I had no idea it had anything to do with this...?

Ugh...

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
I am unsure why he left, but assumed it was due to the influx of racist comments. I was just wanting the dude back on here and was hoping this would help that along.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
You guys can try reaching out to him :dunno:

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I don't have his number these days. I also missed what happened with him and his choice to leave. Always assumed it was a family first kind of thing.

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
maybe if we make a thread and post a lot about our feelings and [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] delivers it to him maybe he will come back. He is a solid bro the few times I got to see him.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Greasy is nice AF.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
Can't forget about his amazing ME Paint s kill as well.
[MENTION=60]greasy[/MENTION] come back!

And thank you [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION]

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
A good article on racism. What blows my mind, is the title of the article is racist; why not just "Farmer calls out....." Guess he is right, considering HuffPost!

Black Farmer Calls Out Liberal Racism In Powerful Facebook Message | HuffPost

A black farmer has the internet talking after posting a powerful message on social media about race relations in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Chris Newman, owner of the Sylvanaqua Farms in Albemarle County, shared his thoughts on a recent “Love Trumps Hate” counter-protest on Saturday. The rally was held in response to white supremacist Richard Spencer leading a protest against the removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

“I’d like to appreciate [the Love Trumps Hate rally],” Newman wrote in a Facebook post published on May 17. “But frankly I just don’t.”

Newman went on to call out the subtle racism of his neighbors, who purport to be progressive and inclusive but have yet to acknowledge the fact that Charlottesville is, by his estimation, “the most aggressively segregated place” he’s ever lived in.

The farmer recounted that he’s been racially profiled and questioned by police several times after receiving “strange looks from a passerby.”

“It isn’t Richard Spencer calling the cops on me for farming while Black,” Newman wrote. “It’s nervous White women in yoga pants with ‘I’m with her’ and ‘Coexist’ stickers on their German SUVs.”

The farmer went on to suggest that residents of the town who are interested in racial progress should consider how to effect change in their own everyday lives.

“People are so busy going after that easy fix, going after that Confederate flag, that they’re not doing the hard thing, which is thinking, how did we get here, and how the hell do we dig out of institutional racism,” Newman wrote.

As of Wednesday, Newman’s post has received over 5,000 shares and hundreds of comments from people chiming in with their own thoughts on race in Charlottesville.

In an interview with CBS affiliate Newsplex on Wednesday, Newman said that the racial profiling he receives has gotten so bad that he has stopped doing food deliveries from his farm to wealthier neighborhoods in the area. He told the station that the fact he experiences racism on a day-to-day basis is the main reason he made the Facebook post.

“The thing that bothered me wasn’t so much the protests themselves, but the back-patting after it,” Newman said. “There’s a difference between confronting racists and confronting racism.”

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Thanks for addressing this openly and in a formal way [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION]

While most of us can take an off color comment/joke for the sake of humor those boundaries are crossed too often. I know that I personally call people out about it, making them know it's not welcomed and have witnessed other members step in as well. [MENTION=750]RICH17[/MENTION] and [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] I can think of immediately for specific examples.

We're all capable of having an opinion or making an argument without stooping to the level of being bigoted and name calling. It honestly makes me sad to see people here using those words and connotations. I can't help but think you're all better than that. I know a lot of you, I've met a lot of you and have a feel for the character of yet even more of the guys and gals here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom