• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Old jacks? Rebuild or toss?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
ive got two old jacks that I never use any more... Probably because they don't work great. They don't go up all the way, the squeak when you pump them... Basically they don't work well.

I've thought about giving them away.

What the hell do I do with these things? One is a nicer aluminum guy and the other is a heavy ass 3ton steel deal.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I wouldn't want someones broke ass jack....no matter how poor i am i dont wanna risk it dropping while im jacking it up...even if the tire is on. Toss that shit.

So they squeak and don't have full range of motion? Big deal. Anyone who is going to be working on their own car should be able to troubleshoot a jack to determine if it is something safe enough to use. It's not the end of the world to check a seal or two and fill with fluid.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I wouldn't want someones broke ass jack....no matter how poor i am i dont wanna risk it dropping while im jacking it up...even if the tire is on. Toss that shit.

Eh, I was going to post something earlier and decided not to but changed my mind at this point. If you're too poor to have a set of JACK STANDS you probably shouldn't have a jack. I've known of more than one person crushed to death by a car doing sloppy shit like using blocks or an unsupported jack.

I'd be all about having the aluminum one personally. Likely a less scary jack than the ones I've got now. Then again I also don't trust a jack with my life, so even if it did have issues the consequences would be a pain in the ass rather than something dangerous.

HeavyG

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 3, 2007
yea, but also even if you use a jack...it doesnt stop the car from dropping while your jacking it up.

but also, i never ever put any part of me under the car. rule numero uno.

I went back and read the first post...it appears the jack work to some extent. therefore maybe someone might want them....but initally i immedatly thought they were broken completely.

give them away but mention-as is and use as your own risk ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info