Old jacks? Rebuild or toss?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ive got two old jacks that I never use any more... Probably because they don't work great. They don't go up all the way, the squeak when you pump them... Basically they don't work well.

I've thought about giving them away.

What the hell do I do with these things? One is a nicer aluminum guy and the other is a heavy ass 3ton steel deal.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Do they leak badly? I've added hydraulic fluid to jacks to get them working again but they took years and years to get as shitty as they got, no blown out seals.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'd add fluid and see what happens. If they still suck then ditch them :dunno:

It's always nice to have at least one spare Jack though.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Reaction score
I say give them to one of the younger members on the board that are just getting into wrenching and need a starter floor jack. I assume you already have a good quality replacement, so why not give them away instead of chucking them in the trash if they still work.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Reaction score
My floor jacks are a 70's Craftsman and an 80's Checker, both going strong sans small hiccups and I've never done anything but add fluid in the fifteen years since they were given to me.

As said, try exchanging fluid and see what happens.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I say give them to one of the younger members on the board that are just getting into wrenching and need a starter floor jack. I assume you already have a good quality replacement, so why not give them away instead of chucking them in the trash if they still work.
That's a great idea.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Add some fluid and they are probably good. Then donate for sure.

HeavyG

Reaction score
I wouldn't want someones broke ass jack....no matter how poor i am i dont wanna risk it dropping while im jacking it up...even if the tire is on. Toss that shit.

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] posts pics of his nice clean garage but missing tools, please donate :s00ls:

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
Would [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] know how to jack up a car?

rocket5979

Gearhead
Reaction score
I wouldn't want someones broke ass jack....no matter how poor i am i dont wanna risk it dropping while im jacking it up...even if the tire is on. Toss that shit.

So they squeak and don't have full range of motion? Big deal. Anyone who is going to be working on their own car should be able to troubleshoot a jack to determine if it is something safe enough to use. It's not the end of the world to check a seal or two and fill with fluid.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Eh, I was going to post something earlier and decided not to but changed my mind at this point. If you're too poor to have a set of JACK STANDS you probably shouldn't have a jack. I've known of more than one person crushed to death by a car doing sloppy shit like using blocks or an unsupported jack.

I'd be all about having the aluminum one personally. Likely a less scary jack than the ones I've got now. Then again I also don't trust a jack with my life, so even if it did have issues the consequences would be a pain in the ass rather than something dangerous.

HeavyG

Reaction score
yea, but also even if you use a jack...it doesnt stop the car from dropping while your jacking it up.

but also, i never ever put any part of me under the car. rule numero uno.

I went back and read the first post...it appears the jack work to some extent. therefore maybe someone might want them....but initally i immedatly thought they were broken completely.

give them away but mention-as is and use as your own risk ;)

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
sell them to me on the low.

i love me some old floor jacks. nothing works like the old one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom