Oil pan paint failure. Weird, I know.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Since I'm waiting for parts, I decided to clean up the garage and take some parts down to my basement. That was when I caught a quick look at the OE F-body oil pan I bought Dan Jost. Well looky there! I don't need to buy one. It's too bad that the nicely welded -10 bung is on the wrong side. Not only can I not use it, but I'll probably have to cut it off and weld it closed. My exhaust runs pretty tight to that side. Whatever, it's better than spending $60 on ebay and still needing to weld a bung to it.
1615926987167.png

I'm glad he didn't, but I'm pretty shocked that he didn't weld the oil lever sensor hole shut or just leave the sensor in its place. This goofy gooped up and paper gasketed plug must have leaked really bad. Even a soft sealing washer probably would have worked okay.
1615927200304.png

Then there's the topic at hand. It's one that makes me wonder if it caused Jost's engine failure instead of Intense's engine building. Either way, I'm trying to play it safe, and I certainly don't want big nasty paint flakes clogging my oil passages or blocking the pick-up screen. I don't have pictures from before I started wire wheeling, but almost all of this paint on the bottom came up in a several brittle but large sheets.
1615927612077.png

If I work at it with my finger nail I can get more to come off which doesn't give me solid feelings about using the pan at all. What would you do? Remove all the paint inside the pan? Where would you stop? I've never had this issue before, but 3800s are also the only engine I know to have the inside of their oil pans coated like this! Weird.

Reactions: TurboTPI

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
50 50 between wheeling every last bit of it out or gettin what you can and not burning yourself out. Is this somethin you've seen before I need to worry about or did maybe he have some additive or e85 or fuel in general that could've even leaked down after he blew it up that could've contributed to this? I guess I've got questions lol

Reactions: TurboTPI

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Unfortunately, I don't know anybody with a blast cabinet anymore. The one at work broke and the company doesn't want to fix it becasue it only gets used for "government work" as we call it. Honestly, the wire wheel on a drill takes this right off though, so it will only take a few minutes. It's convenient but scary. Why would GM coat the inside of the oil pan anyway? Maybe its dipped in something?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
50 50 between wheeling every last bit of it out or gettin what you can and not burning yourself out. Is this somethin you've seen before I need to worry about or did maybe he have some additive or e85 or fuel in general that could've even leaked down after he blew it up that could've contributed to this? I guess I've got questions lol
Knocking it all off is going to be easy, so I'm not worried about that. I'm just shocked that I haven't seen this brought up before. It's an original GM pan. Jost ran E85 but I doubt that had anything to do with it.

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Only time I've ever had an issue with the OEM powder coat coming off is abrasion cuz the factory coating on the pans is basically an e coat which is essentially powder coating electrostatic coating. It's just using a much thinner compound if I recall.
I've even hammered out smashed in pans and had the coating stay relatively intact though it will flake off on the outside of rust sets in.

That looks like that's the low oil level sensor bong so that should be a factory weld so I'm going to guess they didn't weld the bung in and then rattle can it with shity paint. ..

Reactions: Rdrnnr and v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Only time I've ever had an issue with the OEM powder coat coming off is abrasion cuz the factory coating on the pans is basically an e coat which is essentially powder coating electrostatic coating. It's just using a much thinner compound if I recall.
I've even hammered out smashed in pans and had the coating stay relatively intact though it will flake off on the outside of rust sets in.

That looks like that's the low oil level sensor bong so that should be a factory weld so I'm going to guess they didn't weld the bung in and then rattle can it with shity paint. ..
They only painted the outside of the drain bung. The low level still had factory coating.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'm eating my words. These specifically
Knocking it all off is going to be easy
That actually sucked ass. I don't have all of the coating out, but what's left is certainly not just going to flake off either. This was probably too much work for my 160k mile slut of an L36, but I did at least want to give it a chance at survival.
1615944645735.png

So much for my plans of CLEANING the garage tonight! ? This poor car's paint job has really been through some shit this year and it hasn't even been outside yet.
1615944885954.png

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
I'm eating my words. These specifically

That actually sucked ass. I don't have all of the coating out, but what's left is certainly not just going to flake off either. This was probably too much work for my 160k mile slut of an L36, but I did at least want to give it a chance at survival.
View attachment 83625

So much for my plans of CLEANING the garage tonight! [emoji38] This poor car's paint job has really been through some shit this year and it hasn't even been outside yet.
View attachment 83626
Man Mines got green tire slime splatter on the side I feel this [emoji23]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info