• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Oil Filter Question

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
Okay, so my oil pressure gauge has been all over the place (mostly reading none to low) I did a H/C/I last year and ran the first oil for a about 200 miles then changed it, I drove it about 500 miles last summer because of the oil pressure however did not have the time to dig deeper into the problem. Now I'm in the middle of changing the oil and installing a mechanical gauge when I drop the filter (which the cover plate was on the block while the filter housing just spun) anywho got it off and this is what I see, WTF does this mean, is this a case of over tightening the filter?? Or is there a deeper problem. pics will be up in just a second.

f094d0f2e874b827f12b0832da91b4da.jpg

0b85c54eaa0eb7822297350ceb740c9a.jpg

D

Deleted member 9932

Something weird had to happen, might of went army strong on it. One time I had a weird filter on Lauren car and couldn't get the damn thing off it was also a fram pos. put the new filter on and put couple hundred miles and change it all again

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
well i opened the filter and there are metal shavings inside the filter (nothing that I could see in the oil i draned out) but still with less than 1,000 miles on the build I'd expect to see it. The stock gauge normally reads low, I'm swapping in a mechanical gauge now to see where it ends up. However other than the stock sending unit that i'm removing to put the aftermarket one in, i have no idea where an oil pressure regulator would be if the vehicle even has the system, its a 94 mustang 5.0

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
So by looking at this diagram, I'm seeing that the oil pressure is read after the filter, I'm not sure how this system works, but I'm guessing based on what I'm seeing in the car is the relief valve is stuck causing too much oil pressure into the filter, I can only assume that because there's too much pressure it causes the filter to fail immediately giving me a low reading at the gauge??? I don't know how much sense that makes, I will say again that when I remove the oil cap there is oil at the top of the motor.

smallblockoiling.jpg

GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Man that looks kinda scary.
motorcraft oil filters are made by purolator which means that their quality isn't good like before they were made by another factory. i know they're Ford recommended but its because they own motorcraft. My car drystarted at the first start up in the morning when I used to use motorcraft, I have noticed that their intidrain back valve doesn't work like it should. I am using mobil1 filter (the top one) and it hasn't have any issues.
so my advice to you is try another filter just for the heck of it. At least just try it once.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Man that looks kinda scary.
motorcraft oil filters are made by purolator which means that their quality isn't good like before they were made by another factory. i know they're Ford recommended but its because they own motorcraft. My car drystarted at the first start up in the morning when I used to use motorcraft, I have noticed that their intidrain back valve doesn't work like it should. I am using mobil1 filter (the top one) and it hasn't have any issues.
so my advice to you is try another filter just for the heck of it. At least just try it once.

Since when are Purolator's a crappy filter? Who made Motorcraft filters before that? There are only like 3-4 manufacturers of oil filters.

I've never seen or heard of that happening Bub, that sucks. Hopefully you can get the issue fixed

GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Since when are Purolator's a crappy filter? Who made Motorcraft filters before that? There are only like 3-4 manufacturers of oil filters.

I've never seen or heard of that happening Bub, that sucks. Hopefully you can get the issue fixed

Purolator makes real crappy filters. One time I bought a fuel filter for my gcherokee and it didn't fit the oem fuel lines. I had to exchange it for another brand. motorcraft oil filter's quality is so poor enough to meet Ford's specs. Also, what does $4-5 oil filter tells you?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info