• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Oil Filter Question

rz79

TCG Elite Member
Jun 29, 2009
Goldpanther-
Are you sure you aren't mistaking? Puroilator brand is from what I understand head and shoulders above fram and not a gimmick like the k&n or 18$ gucci brand filters.. Hell, they out perform wix in flow and micron collection, I can't think of another brand for the money that's anywhere near as good.

GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
The first time I found out about the shit purolator was when I bought my first panther, a grand marquis. I used to always buy expensive filter just for the heck of it, I think that spending a few more bucks in a better filter every 3k miles is worth it. So, since I had a ford I thought about using oem stuff for the first time so I bought a motorcraft oil filter, in the very next day after starting it up I heard some weird noise coming from the engine that lasted about 1-2 seconds and then it went away, my car had started dry, at that point I didn't know that yet. At the second day it happen again so I worried and called my brother, he's a high performance guy. He asked what I did to the car recently, I told him I changed the oil and used motorcraft, big mistake he told me, according to him those filter are caca and their antidrain valve does not work causing the engine to drystart. This was more than two years ago.
I have tried too many filter just for the heck of it and by far the only one that trully liked was AC delco.

Also I am glad some backed my claim lol

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
The AC Delco filter of recent years had a plastic and hot glued inner cage that hold the filter media in place that is crap. Called the E-Core design. Along with a few other things inside the filter it is just a really cheaply made filter. Yes the Purolator filters are having issues with torn media and I hope they fix that soon because I liked the Purolator Pure One filter a lot and used them for years on my daily drivers. Moms Fusion with almost 200,000 miles has seen nothing but Ford quick lane oil changes every 5000 miles with Motorcraft filter and no issues, so i'm just going to leave well enough alone. The Mopar oem filter is the same as the Motorcraft filter. Fram orange can of death..... no need to say anymore. IMHO if you have the money the Mobil1 filter is very good and I use that on the Grand Prix because I change the oil maybe once a year. The Fram Ultra Synthetic filter is the best bang for the buck when they are on sale, very good filter and cheaper then Mobil1 filter. Fram Tough Guard filter is also a damn good one and I have a stash of them for the Honda. Both of them are totally different then the $2.50 Fram orange can of death.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
The AC Delco filter of recent years had a plastic and hot glued inner cage that hold the filter media in place that is crap. Called the E-Core design. Along with a few other things inside the filter it is just a really cheaply made filter. Yes the Purolator filters are having issues with torn media and I hope they fix that soon because I liked the Purolator Pure One filter a lot and used them for years on my daily drivers. Moms Fusion with almost 200,000 miles has seen nothing but Ford quick lane oil changes every 5000 miles with Motorcraft filter and no issues, so i'm just going to leave well enough alone. The Mopar oem filter is the same as the Motorcraft filter. Fram orange can of death..... no need to say anymore. IMHO if you have the money the Mobil1 filter is very good and I use that on the Grand Prix because I change the oil maybe once a year. The Fram Ultra Synthetic filter is the best bang for the buck when they are on sale, very good filter and cheaper then Mobil1 filter. Fram Tough Guard filter is also a damn good one and I have a stash of them for the Honda. Both of them are totally different then the $2.50 Fram orange can of death.
Good info here thank you.

I ran a quart of trans fluid hoping to free up the relief valve. It may have worked because when I punch it I don't clear way past 100psi anymore. Stays around 85-90psi at WOT but I didn't hold it. Still between 10 - 20 psi at idle tho which I've read is low or even in spec so who the fuck knows. Il get some gas and matches for this thing today.

I'm actually going to change the oil this week and see how the filter looks. Someone also told me that with my cam I should be running 20w30 instead of the 5w30 I've been running (with the exception of this last oil change of 10w30) idk

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Good info here thank you.

I ran a quart of trans fluid hoping to free up the relief valve. It may have worked because when I punch it I don't clear way past 100psi anymore. Stays around 85-90psi at WOT but I didn't hold it. Still between 10 - 20 psi at idle tho which I've read is low or even in spec so who the fuck knows. Il get some gas and matches for this thing today.

I'm actually going to change the oil this week and see how the filter looks. Someone also told me that with my cam I should be running 20w30 instead of the 5w30 I've been running (with the exception of this last oil change of 10w30) idk

I have never even heard of 20w30 oil. Once the engine is warm Xw30 weight oil is 30 weight oil for the most part. I use 0w20 in the Honda and 0w30 or Mobil1 0w40 in the Grand Prix because it is suppose to be thinner at startup and will pump quicker through out the engine while cold. Also the 0wWhatever oils are synthetic and made from a better base stock then your regular 5w and 10w synthetic oils.
Anyways 10w30 or 5w30 oil im sure if just fine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info