Oil Filter Question

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
Okay, so my oil pressure gauge has been all over the place (mostly reading none to low) I did a H/C/I last year and ran the first oil for a about 200 miles then changed it, I drove it about 500 miles last summer because of the oil pressure however did not have the time to dig deeper into the problem. Now I'm in the middle of changing the oil and installing a mechanical gauge when I drop the filter (which the cover plate was on the block while the filter housing just spun) anywho got it off and this is what I see, WTF does this mean, is this a case of over tightening the filter?? Or is there a deeper problem. pics will be up in just a second.

GTStang08

Reaction score
Looks like you didn't know how to install your filter

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
did I just over tighten it?? I've never had a filter do this so I'm curious

GTStang08

Reaction score
Something weird had to happen, might of went army strong on it. One time I had a weird filter on Lauren car and couldn't get the damn thing off it was also a fram pos. put the new filter on and put couple hundred miles and change it all again

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
IDK man, over tightening it would pull the threads, not the whole body like that. It looks like a pop can that had too much pressure. So maybe the oil pressure regulator isn't working properly?

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
well i opened the filter and there are metal shavings inside the filter (nothing that I could see in the oil i draned out) but still with less than 1,000 miles on the build I'd expect to see it. The stock gauge normally reads low, I'm swapping in a mechanical gauge now to see where it ends up. However other than the stock sending unit that i'm removing to put the aftermarket one in, i have no idea where an oil pressure regulator would be if the vehicle even has the system, its a 94 mustang 5.0

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Extreme over pressure....

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Shavings possibly block a regulator?

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I hooked up my mechanical gauge, around 5psi at idle and between 15-20psi when driving. Still no knocks, got it up to 210F didn't make much of a difference.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Woah, I'm guessing you did not gorilla tighten it so.... That's weird.
I'm obviously not helping but wanted to post I've never seen a filter like that.
I hope all is ok

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
it depends where you are reading oil psi at. Is it at the stock sending unit?

IIRC for SBC 5-10 psi hot idle was in spec... but if that higher number was your highest number cold, id be worried

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
something is fucked if those oil pressure readings are correct. an engine needs 10psi per 1000 rpms to survive.
i assume this is a 5.0? you might have a failing oil pump....

b4black

Reaction score
Shouldn't you check the oil pressure at high rpms? It's high rpms - high pressure that ballooned your oil filter.

Is there a filter bypass valve that was intentionally blocked?

Luckily it didn't burst.

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
Nothing intentionally blocked off. I hit 4 grand revving it and it read near 75psi

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
it depends where you are reading oil psi at. Is it at the stock sending unit?

IIRC for SBC 5-10 psi hot idle was in spec... but if that higher number was your highest number cold, id be worried
Stock location front drivers side of the block near the filter

LikeABauce302

5.0 ftw
Reaction score
I've never seen an FL-1a filter look like that. I don't think over tightening would cause that. It looks like it ballooned. I wouldn't run the engine any more until you figure out what the problem is.

How is your PCV system set up? Did you end up with sky high crankcase pressure?

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
Pcv is as stock as I could run it. I did notice a kink in 1 hose, from he MAF to the valve cover. I don't have a gauge on the vacuum but I never had issue with popping lines or anything like that

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
So by looking at this diagram, I'm seeing that the oil pressure is read after the filter, I'm not sure how this system works, but I'm guessing based on what I'm seeing in the car is the relief valve is stuck causing too much oil pressure into the filter, I can only assume that because there's too much pressure it causes the filter to fail immediately giving me a low reading at the gauge??? I don't know how much sense that makes, I will say again that when I remove the oil cap there is oil at the top of the motor.

GoldPanther

Ford Love
Donating Member
Reaction score
Man that looks kinda scary.
motorcraft oil filters are made by purolator which means that their quality isn't good like before they were made by another factory. i know they're Ford recommended but its because they own motorcraft. My car drystarted at the first start up in the morning when I used to use motorcraft, I have noticed that their intidrain back valve doesn't work like it should. I am using mobil1 filter (the top one) and it hasn't have any issues.
so my advice to you is try another filter just for the heck of it. At least just try it once.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Reaction score
Man that looks kinda scary.
motorcraft oil filters are made by purolator which means that their quality isn't good like before they were made by another factory. i know they're Ford recommended but its because they own motorcraft. My car drystarted at the first start up in the morning when I used to use motorcraft, I have noticed that their intidrain back valve doesn't work like it should. I am using mobil1 filter (the top one) and it hasn't have any issues.
so my advice to you is try another filter just for the heck of it. At least just try it once.
Since when are Purolator's a crappy filter? Who made Motorcraft filters before that? There are only like 3-4 manufacturers of oil filters.

I've never seen or heard of that happening Bub, that sucks. Hopefully you can get the issue fixed

GoldPanther

Ford Love
Donating Member
Reaction score
Since when are Purolator's a crappy filter? Who made Motorcraft filters before that? There are only like 3-4 manufacturers of oil filters.

I've never seen or heard of that happening Bub, that sucks. Hopefully you can get the issue fixed
Purolator makes real crappy filters. One time I bought a fuel filter for my gcherokee and it didn't fit the oem fuel lines. I had to exchange it for another brand. motorcraft oil filter's quality is so poor enough to meet Ford's specs. Also, what does $4-5 oil filter tells you?

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
They used to be good too, that is sad.

I just used a WIX the other day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom