• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Oil Filter 'attachment' thread

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So, I kinda screwed up on my 5.0...

Stock EXPLORER oil filter attaches to what is essentially a long right angle bracket off of the motor, attached via a Bolt.

I of course, in my infinite wisdom, threw this bracket out, thinking I could install my oil filter relocation kit.

Well because the bracket BOLTED to the motor, the fitting against the motor for the oil filter is internally threaded, and not externally.

I've removed the internally threaded piece, but don't have the foggiest idea of what it would be called to buy one that would allow me to use a filter straight against the block and/or a cooler....

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
....and thats why that sorta shit is supposed to go into a box of "maybe i need it" parts.

ive heard it called the oil filter stud in the oem nomenclature

Since I have the relocation kit in my hands, I thought I was done, only to find out that A) it doesn't clear the rearward headers ANYWAYS since the hoses come straight off the block, and B) I can't install it if I wanted to...

So I'm going to install the relocation kit since I paid for the damn thing, and have GoodFellas, or someone, figure out the driver side header so I can have rear-ward facing exhaust... It will help keep engine bay temps in check, and if I want to really track this thing, front facing exhaust is going to cook the hell out of it unless I drop another $150 in heat wrap...... Figure money better spent would be to get a header custom done and be able to have tons of space everywhere else...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
iirc alot of those relocation kits are 1/2 npt so just get a couple 45 or 90* eL's and call it a day...just run em forward das...i looked at tons of ways to run my drivers side header and all of em were shitty except for running it forward...if anything get another pass side header and have that on the pass side so only the drivers side pipe goes across the engine bay....you junk is NA so i dont think youll see the exhaust temps i will be see'n

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Dasfinc
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list