• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Oil Disposal

Hubbard 0

Reaction score
Somehow, I have a ton of oil in the garage. Mostly it's all in 5 qt. containers, though I do have a few 1 qt. containers and a 5 gallon bucket with all sorts of fluids. Where do I go to get rid of all of this?

In Michigan, there was a recycling center to just dump it all into a tank. Here, it seems that doesn't exist and local parts places say they only take 1 qt. containers and have a maximum. I probably have near a dozen 5 qt. jugs.

This shit hits the storm drain soon.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Autozone will take I think 3-5 jugs. Depends on the dude taking it. Pretty sure Walmart also takes it.

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Reaction score
Almost any auto parts store will take it. They get paid for it by the gallon.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
And to think I've been giving it away at work.

What company is actually buying it?

radioguy6

Reaction score
I just dropped off 8 or so gallons at advanced auto in milk jugs and 5 qt jugs, no problems. Autozone had me take my containers back one time, but never had any issues.

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Reaction score
If you have like 55 gallons at home you are not going to get paid for it. Large national accounts, dealerships, quick lubes, and auto repair facilities sell it to the company I work for and others. The going rate for used oil is anywhere from $1.50-$1.75 per gallon right now for larger quantities.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
Most places give you your jugs back, I've noticed. The Auto Zone in Fox Lake told me "Just throw 'em in our dumpster, we can't do it ourselves. You can, though." I was like :wtf:

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Reaction score
Most places give you your jugs back, I've noticed. The Auto Zone in Fox Lake told me "Just throw 'em in our dumpster, we can't do it ourselves. You can, though." I was like :wtf:
As a business they cannot dispose of the oil containers in that manner as it would become their waste. It would be considered a "Residue Last Contained" waste and would need to be disposed in the appropriate manner. Otherwise they could face action from the EPA.

ThirdgenTa

Reaction score
If I have only a few 5 qt containers I will take it to autozone. For bigger quantities or other fluids I take it to the naperville free hazordous waste collection that is every saturday and sunday. See if your town has one?

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
If you have like 55 gallons at home you are not going to get paid for it. Large national accounts, dealerships, quick lubes, and auto repair facilities sell it to the company I work for and others. The going rate for used oil is anywhere from $1.50-$1.75 per gallon right now for larger quantities.
Safetycleen takes ours for free at work but it's only 55 gallons every few months.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
No clue. It was some Hispanic guy and then last time it was some white guy who just randomly showed up.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Reaction score
There is a shop in Addison off swift and lake st that has an oil heater, I bring mine there all the time.

rocco

Reaction score
I just drop my gallon containers at jiffy lube or some place like that outside their bay doors when they're closed so I don't have to deal with anyone.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Reaction score
I just drop my gallon containers at jiffy lube or some place like that outside their bay doors when they're closed so I don't have to deal with anyone.
That's illegal and they can charge you if they catch you. I worked at a service place and they would always check the outside cameras if that happened to see if they could get a plate #.

I collect all my oil in 5 gal buckets with a lid that I get from work. I take them in to auto zone with no problem when they are full. The one out in Yorkville even takes the bucket for me.

Prevent

ilikemtb999 is my friend
Reaction score
auto zone takes whatever i give them, regardless of size. Most the time the dude lets me pour it in there too, since he remembers me going there everyday when i was building my motor.

If you pour it in the drain rob, i will call the EPA on you.. i take that shit serious

IF auto zone won't, there's a place off 31 that takes old oil. they use it in their furnace.

rocco

Reaction score
That's illegal and they can charge you if they catch you. I worked at a service place and they would always check the outside cameras if that happened to see if they could get a plate #.

I collect all my oil in 5 gal buckets with a lid that I get from work. I take them in to auto zone with no problem when they are full. The one out in Yorkville even takes the bucket for me.
Really? I had no idea it was illegal to do. Thanks for the info. I'll take it to autozone or somewhere else from now on.

mat0485

Reaction score
i do this.

please please please dont dump down storm drain.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom