• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Oil - Dino/Synthetic - Mobil 1/Royal Purple What do you use?

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Well Im just about to hit 1,000 miles on the new engine. Now it's time to pick my oil. VT said to run 5w30. I am leaning towards a Synthetic oil for the extra durabilty. The only real question here is to run a more common oil like a Castol or Mobil 1, or try out some performance oil like Royal Purple or Amsoil. I have tried Royal purple, Castol, and mobil 1 on my daily drivers and never had a problem with it. What's everyone using out their....

Kevin

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
RD SNAKE said:
Well Im just about to hit 1,000 miles on the new engine. Now it's time to pick my oil. VT said to run 5w30. I am leaning towards a Synthetic oil for the extra durabilty. The only real question here is to run a more common oil like a Castol or Mobil 1, or try out some performance oil like Royal Purple or Amsoil. I have tried Royal purple, Castol, and mobil 1 on my daily drivers and never had a problem with it. What's everyone using out their....

Kevin

About a month ago someone posted on that I think? I have been using sythetic from day one of having my car. Regarding brand I was using Mobil One for a long time, went to Castrol for a few oil changes and got talked into Royal Purple and thats where I am. That stuff is worth the extra 3-4 bucks a quart IMO. I run 10W30, I know that the manufactor "recommends" 5W20 but if I were to go outside and pop the hood of 10 ford vehicles every one of them would say 5W20 under the hood, if my car was stock maybe but its not plus pour a bottle of 5W20 it almost looks about the equvilant to water...... With all the crap our engines have going on I didnt want to have to worry about the oil viscosity but thats just me. Others will swear by the other brands it really depends on the person and what their perference is :p

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Racerx66 said:
Did VT specify at what mileage you can run synthetic, (when their motors are considered broken in, it does depend on the rings they/you use).

I like RP, Red Line and Amsoil synthetics and definitely at a minimum 5w30 for these cars. 2c

Yep they said 1,000 miles whatever type/brand of oil you want, as long as it's 5w30

Kevin

jaykruger

Juiced, ported and blown
Mar 30, 2007
mobil 1 is the only thing I have put in my cars 99-SVT Contour, 97 CObra, 03 cobra. and have never had issues, in fact when i ported the heads on the contour I had never seen an engine with over 70k miles on it still look that good! Couldn't offer up a better ad then that! Had pics of it but the old CPU crashed :(

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Now that I think about it RP did seem a little thin to me...Mobil 1 seems thicker...I'm sure that's where that "extra" HP comes from in the RP. Plus Mobil 1 pretty much wrote the book on syntic oil.

Also im sure if VT didn't want me to run syntic untill the 4k oil change, they would have told me about it. That's just my .02 on it.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
99 Stangbanger said:
Research & Developement

Heres what I found regarding Mobil Ones R&D.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Product_Testing_Las_Vegas.aspx

Heres what I found regarding Royal Purples take on things and their R&D.

http://www.synerlec.com/techa/whyrpa.html

I think the claims that RP is publishing warrants the extra $$ if anything RP seems to have the edge IMO. The folks at Mobil One put their stuff to the test using a couple cabs from Las Vegas as the test mules??? Might be okay for a NA 3.4 liter Impala driving around in Vegas. If you just got your motor built you should get some miles before changing to synthetic I know when I got my car new I got 5K on her before transitioning. Im sure Mobil One would be fine but I like the product that RP is putting out there :headbang:

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
RD SNAKE said:
Larry, I heard something about that new pennzoil Syntic. Something like it has a lot of cleaning addtives, more than normal. Somthing like that. I read it awhile ago and was told to stay away from it. What's your take on it?

Kevin
I also recall hearing the same thing Kevin. It might have been ShelbyGuy or one of the other guys that are very familiar with this subject. However, I've been using it for years and have had good luck with my engine, so I figured I'd stick with it. Thanks for the heads up though.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
gnxs said:
I also recall hearing the same thing Kevin. It might have been ShelbyGuy or one of the other guys that are very familiar with this subject. However, I've been using it for years and have had good luck with my engine, so I figured I'd stick with it. Thanks for the heads up though.

Well your the first person I no using the stuff. I thought pennzoil just came out with their synic stuff?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info