• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Oil - Dino/Synthetic - Mobil 1/Royal Purple What do you use?

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
RD SNAKE said:
...Something like it has a lot of cleaning addtives, more than normal....

There is a symbol on the back of most oils that states energy conserving:

apisymbol.gif

These are designed with to just that, energy conserving... meaning not as much additives.

Commercial vehicle's oil do not have the ENERGY CONSERVING statement on the same symbol. If you look at the gallon oil such as Shell Rotella Synthetic at like at Walmart or anywhere, these contain the additional additives that you are looking for.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
RD SNAKE said:
Well Im just about to hit 1,000 miles on the new engine. Now it's time to pick my oil. VT said to run 5w30. I am leaning towards a Synthetic oil for the extra durabilty. The only real question here is to run a more common oil like a Castol or Mobil 1, or try out some performance oil like Royal Purple or Amsoil. I have tried Royal purple, Castol, and mobil 1 on my daily drivers and never had a problem with it. What's everyone using out their....

Kevin
Just changed mine 2 days ago went with Mobil 1 5w30. Never had a problem with it, so Ill stay w it.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Fords synthetic blend 5-20 for me. Sticking with the mfr., suggestion because I WAS TOLD this engine won't flow a 30 wt oil since it was designed to use a 20wt oil.

FWIW it was a troll at the parts desk, and too many of those guys really don't know shit, but, I stay with the Ford stuff, and it's NEVER gotten past an amber color in 3000 miles which is a long time for me I usually do it at 1500 and it looks brand new.

Now what I drain out of my Tahoe which has been on Mobil 1 since day one......it's Black in 3000-5000 miles depending on when it asks because we use the shit out of it. YYYYEEEEUUUUUKKKK!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info