• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Oh Shit, About To Be Intercooled?

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Sooooo I might be going intercooled sooner rather then later.

Kenne Bell wants $1100 for their intercooler kit with a tiny ass reservoir, crappy heat exchanger, just normal $140 bosche pump and other odds and ends. I am really would rather not cough up that dough just to upgrade it all anyways. They refuse to sell parts of the kits separately too so I can't just buy the actually intercooler and then go with all the other better parts. So I start my search.

I looked for a LONG ass time to try and find how to get ahold of just the intercooler part for the KB because of course the KB just heatsoaks like a MFer and makes the Vic a turd. I finally came along a gem of information that a Lightning intercooler would most likely fit either right out of the box or with just modify the inlet and outlet on it.

After I found that I kept that in the back of my mind but didn't really look too hard. Well low and behold a really cheap Lightning intercooler just practically fell in my lap with 50k miles on it. So probably going to grab it and then start grabbing the other parts for the intercooler setup even though I probably won't put it on until I drop the new engine in the Vic and who knows how long that'll take me.

So couple questions for you guys.

1. How does the Lightning intercooler connect exactly?
lightning_intercooler.jpg

Does the inlet and outlet just shoot straight up through the intake and you connect rubber lines with hose clamps? Looks like what you'd do to me but they don't look long enough. On the guy's post talking about using a Lightning one or some other one for it he shows a different intake basically the same as the KB unit with an intercooler and it looks like the inlet and outlet go into another metal tube on the intake itself that leads to outside the intake. The back of the KB intake has brass hole plugs screwed in nothing coming off of it.

1.7 intercooler...same as 03-04 cobra?
^^^That's the thread it's at post 8

2.How many GPH pump should I run? I don't think the intercooler setups have thermostats so I don't want to run the liquid through it all TOO fast to make it not have enough chance to cool off.

3. Main things I should look for with the heat exchanger? Is it pointless to get one bigger then the opening on the front bumper or the more surface area (even blocked by the bumper) the better? I like the AFCO GT500 intercooler the guy used in this thread to upgrade his KB cooling system Cool it! Upgrading the Kenne Bell Intercooler - MustangForums.com but I'm thinking a lot of it might be blocked by the front bumper depending on my placement of it

:jg:

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
My heat exchanger is 24"x12". Fits nicely in the opening and just a little is below the bumper line.

5y6y5a9y.jpg

Personally, I'd probably just buy the kit. Guaranteed to be headache free and just buy a larger Type 100 HE from Frozenboost.com for $150, larger tank and call it done.

Add the Killer Chiller set up down the road if you are really concerned about IAT temps.

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Doesn't effect the cooling abilities of the radiator much if at all there?

I would get the kit but like I said I'd be upgrading most of the main parts right out of the gate. I heard KBs intercooling tests they're pouring ice cold tap water into it to make it seem like it cools better then it does:(

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Doesn't effect the cooling abilities of the radiator much if at all there?

I would get the kit but like I said I'd be upgrading most of the main parts right out of the gate. I heard KBs intercooling tests they're pouring ice cold tap water into it to make it seem like it cools better then it does:(

It doesn't affect the cooling capabilities of the radiator because of the air deflector thingy under the car redirecting the air up to the radiator also.

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Lol then I'd have to sell the SW headers I have and get a different KB intake if I went with the DOHC. I got a set of DOHC B heads laying around I got with my new block but no desire to play with them. Going to go with Trick Flow 2v's so I can keep my 2v stuff. Make it harder for myself some ways but easier other ways. Plus I can't put a 32v engine in there or even more people will confuse me with a Marauder lol

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Oh very good information. Yeah I heard you could only buy parts from them in person at their place in Cali I was going to try to have my uncle who lives about half an hour away pick it up for me and ship it if it came to that haven't tried talking to Jim Bell on the phone though. Very interesting.

Tim's local too. Hmmm that's an added bonus. Thanks man

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info